Are duplicate folders OK ?

When I view the Internal Memory folder (using Windows Explorer), every folder exists twice:

Audiobooks

Audiobooks

Music

Music

Photos

Photos

etc.

The only thing I have stored on this unit is some music. It is in one of the Music folders - the other one is empty.

All of the other folders are empty.

Is this normal / correct / proper?

Should theextraneous folders be deleted?

That’s really odd… What’s inside the individual folders?

Disconnect and try again. That’s really odd.

That isn’t supposed to happen.  It’s a sign that there’s something corrupt in the firmware, or possibly just the database, even though there are apparently no other noticeable glitches occuring.

I suggest deleting any folders that you don’t use, along with the mtable.sys file.  This file is the fuze’s database and will recreate itself during refresh.  Then disconnect and after the fuze refreshes it’s database, reconnect and then see if there is more than one set of those folders.

Be sure to have a backup of your music.

Well, this thing is a mess.

I had downloaded an audiobook (using NetLibrary) but it wouldn’t play. After messing around with it for a while, the Fuze totally locked-up - it wouldn’t do anything. I read on another forum somewhere that I could “reset” it by holding down both the >>| key and the on/off switch for 20 seconds. I did that (for about 10 seconds) and the Fuze started working again. But, the audiobook was gone. Using Windows Explorer to look for it was how I found the duplicated folders.

So I deleted the extra folders and everything seemed to be back to normal. BTW, there was no mtable.sys file - maybe that has something to do with the problem?

I re-downloaded the book and ran into the same problems again! After doing the “reset”, the folders were again duplicated but there were no files in any of the folders! Strangely enough however, all of the music was still there when using the menus in the Fuze. The songs still played.

Using Windows Explorer, I deleted the extra folders but ALL of the folders disappeared! The Internal Memory folder is completely empty - no files, no folders. (but the songs are still selectable and playable) !?!

I’m wondering if there’s some way I can reset this thing back to a “factory original” condition? And/or upgrade to the latest firmware version.

Any thoughts / suggestions?

Thanks.

Just after posting my last message, I plugged in the Fuze-to-computer cable and brought up Windows Explorer. Much to my surprise, it displayed the duplicated folders again. When I last looked at this an hour or so ago, there were no folders displayed! The Fuze had been turned off in the interim.

Now, the folders (two of each name) are completely empty - there are no files in any of them. But, as before, the songs are selectable and playable.

?!?!?!

Okay…in Settings>system settings>scroll down to the lower half of the menu.  There’ll you find several items that are useful.

reset factory settings - choose “yes” or “no”

info - shows the firmware version among other things.  That’s needed to update or reinstall firmware

usb mode - if you’re in autodetect, choose either MTP (needed for protected media, WMP, subscriptions) or MSC (device seen as a mass storage device)

To update/reinstall the firmware, here’s the link.  I recommend doing this manually if you don’t have this latest and most stable firmware version.  If you are reinstalling, you can only do that manually.  The post will have instructions on how to do it.

After you update/reinstall the firmware, I suggest that you format the player and start fresh with a clean slate.

Sorry, forgot to mention that the mtable.sys file is seen in MSC mode.

Hope this helps.

@mags1230 wrote:

Sorry, forgot to mention that the mtable.sys file is seen in MSC mode.

Also being a system file, Windows likes to hide it. You need to tell Windows to show hidden files and folders.

Well, got it working - sorta…

I updated the firmware to the latest version and did a format (lost 78 songs - not all of them backed-up). :cry:

But now it appears that it works correctly only if the USB Mode is set to MSC.

Using Windows Explorer, I drag/dropped some music files (mp3) into the Music folder. They showed up in Windows Explorer and they played properly. I fired up the NetLibrary Media Center to download an audiobook. But it does not detect that the Fuze is connected to the computer.

I changed the USB Mode on the Fuze to “Auto Detect”. When I did this, the NetLibrary Media Center detected the Fuze. But, the music files that I had downloaded were no longer visible in Windows Explorer. IOW, I was back to the original problem. I changed the USB Mode to MTP - the behavior was exactly the same. Apparently, “Auto Detect” simply uses the MTP mode.

So, I changed the mode back to MSC. I used NetLibrary to download the audiobook to my computer and then manually copied the downloaded files (they’re MP3’s) to the Fuze (dropped them into the AudioBooks folder). The Fuze plays the files ok.

So, bottom line is: MTP mode does not work correctly. MSC mode does work but requires that any file downloads be done manually.

Any thoughts as to what the problem might be here?

Thanks.

@martinv wrote:

IOW, I was back to the original problem. I changed the USB Mode to MTP - the behavior was exactly the same. Apparently, “Auto Detect” simply uses the MTP mode.

Just so I’m clear on this, when you mention that you’re back to the original problem, does that mean that you are still seeing duplicate folders in windows explorer when the fuze is in the same usb mode?

@martinv wrote:

I changed the USB Mode on the Fuze to “Auto Detect”. When I did this, the NetLibrary Media Center detected the Fuze. But, the music files that I had downloaded were no longer visible in Windows Explorer. IOW, I was back to the original problem. I changed the USB Mode to MTP - the behavior was exactly the same. Apparently, “Auto Detect” simply uses the MTP mode.

What happens when the fuze is in auto detect is that the player, when connected to a computer, will try to connect first through MTP mode, then if it can’t, it will try to connect through MSC mode.  It’s supposed to make establishing communication with a computer, or different computers, simple and easy for the user, but for those that are new to this, it can seem confusing.   WMP 10 or higher is needed (that’s where the drivers are located) for MTP mode to work and a computer connection is made.  You can also drag-and-drop files while in MTP mode.

Also, what you transfer to the player in one mode cannot be seen when the player is in the other mode in windows explorer, but the fuze will integrate files placed in both modes into one library.  So what you experience in that regard is normal.

Since you use NetLibrary, perhaps you should consider just staying in MTP mode. 

So, unless you’re still seeing “double” in windows explorer or notice something out of the ordinary, the player is working like it should.

@martinv wrote:

IOW, I was back to the original problem. I changed the USB Mode to MTP - the behavior was exactly the same. Apparently, “Auto Detect” simply uses the MTP mode.

Just so I’m clear on this, when you mention that you’re back to the original problem, does that mean that you are still seeing duplicate folders in windows explorer when the fuze is in the same usb mode?

@martinv wrote:

What happens when the fuze is in auto detect is that the player, when connected to a computer, will try to connect first through MTP mode, then if it can’t, it will try to connect through MSC mode.  It’s supposed to make establishing communication with a computer, or different computers, simple and easy for the user, but for those that are new to this, it can seem confusing.   WMP 10 or higher is needed (that’s where the drivers are located) for MTP mode to work and a computer connection is made.  You can also drag-and-drop files while in MTP mode.

Also, what you transfer to the player in one mode cannot be seen when the player is in the other mode in windows explorer, but the fuze will integrate files placed in both modes into one library.  So what you experience in that regard is normal.

Since you use NetLibrary, perhaps you should consider just staying in MTP mode. 

So, unless you’re still seeing “double” in windows explorer or notice something out of the ordinary, the player is working like it should.

…does that mean that you are still seeing duplicate folders in windows explorer when the fuze is in the same usb mode?

Sorry - I wasn’t clear. No, I’m not seeing duplicate folders in either mode.

But, what makes MTP mode useless for me is the fact that NetLibrary doesn’t detect the presence of the Fuze even though the Fuze is connected to the computer.

I did not try to drag and drop any of the files (music or audiobooks) to the Fuze while in MTP mode. I was not aware that doing this was possible - I thought that D&D could be done only in MSC mode. I may try it but doing everything in MSC mode seems to be the solution for now.

Thanks for your responses - very helpful.

You’re welcome.   Glad it’s working okay.

The fuze is a great little player.  I always keep my player in MSC mode and by just dragging-and-dropping my music, with correct ID3 tags, has helped to keep my fuze trouble-free.  And I can just keep on…