Ape and Aac support

Guys can you add Ape and Aac in the next firmware… I bought lots of music from iTunes but unable to listen to them…transcoding degrades the music quality…

@ra28 wrote:
Guys can you add Ape and Aac in the next firmware… I bought lots of music from iTunes but unable to listen to them…transcoding degrades the music quality…

Sorry to say, but I really doubt that will happen. 

As APE is lossless you can convert it to FLAC without any loss of quality. Support for more than one lossless format seems like a low priority to me. AAC would be nice though…

Won’t happen due to licensing issues: http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=sansafuse&message.id=26516#M26516

But in my opinion this is not an issue. iTunes’ AAC-files are encoded at such a high bitrate, that it almost counts as lossless. There is IMO absolutely no reason to believe that transcoding those files to OGG’s (or even MP3’s) with the same bitrate should degrade the sound quality. I know all the reasoning, but with the bitrates we are talking about its way beyond what anyone can hear. I myself do that all the time. Trust me on this. Or better: do a blind listening test to confirm it. Of course you should keep the original AAC files and don’t transcode twice. Just treat the original iTunes files as if they were lossless.

As a side note: rockbox does AAC files, and it might even be available in the same time frame as one of the next official sansa firmware updates for the fuze. So there is hope in that department.

@dave_k wrote:
As APE is lossless you can convert it to FLAC without any loss of quality. Support for more than one lossless format seems like a low priority to me.

I agree.  Also, APE uses a proprietry license that scares off most commercial projects.  FLAC and Ogg use well known, legally proven open source licenses so commercial projects/companies can feel safe using them.  Unfortunately, that’s not the case with APE.  So even though it’s free, you don’t see many commercial implementations.

why not try to convert them to mp3?

you may try the following step by step guide to convert ape or aac to mp3 at How to Convert APE to MP3

This powerful APE Converter can help:

Convert APE to uncompressed audio formats like APE to WAV, APE to AIFF, or APE to AU
Convert APE to lossless compressed audio formats like APE to M4A (Apple Lossless) or APE to FLAC
Convert APE to lossy compressed audio formats like APE to MP3, APE to OGG, APE to WMA, APE to AAC, APE to RA, APE to MP2, APE to AC3 and more
Convert and play APE in iTunes/iPod/iPhone/iPad/Apple TV/Mac/QuickTime and more
Convert and play APE in Winamp, Windows Media Player, Windows 7/XP/Vista/2000 and more
Convert and play APE on Android, Motorola, BlackBerry, LG, Samsung, Xbox 360, Microsoft Zune, PSP, PS3, Wii and more

Let’s see…never posted before…fished out ancient thread…link to paid program…can you say SHILL?

Media Coder will convert APE to mp3 for free. Just watch during the install so you don’t also install junkware.

http://www.mediacoderhq.com/

iTunes will convert Apple formats for free.