Anythingbutipod 2008 #1

It is Sansa Clip, i thought it should be Sansa Fuze.

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archives/2008/12/top-5-mp3-players-of-2008.php

I dont. There seems to be lots of trouble with adding video to the device. I cant even add video to it because im using linux and the SMC doesnt work on linux and that is the only program that seems to work when converting videos to the Fuze. The product box said the fuze has compatability for Linux and I got happy and bought it but it stinks that I can not add videos because it really is not compatable. D:<

“I dont. There seems to be lots of trouble with adding video to the device.”

Imo Sandisk should have left video support off the player. Watching videos on the Fuze doesn’t seem worthwhile to me. The small screen, low bitrate, and hassles of converting the video for the player, as well as the short battery run time for video make video on the Fuze impractical. I bought my Fuze for audio, not video, and ignore the video support.

The problem with video isn’t really so much with the Fuze as it is with the software to put video on the Fuze. There are way too many video formats out there and it only works properly with some as input. The other problem is the DMCA. People expect a simple process to take movies & shows from their DVDs and put them on the Fuze, but Sansa can’t offer that.

I enjoy the video functionality for what I use it as.  Why should they limit what their DEVICE can do if people like me enjoy it?  Maybe you don’t like it, but I do.  No reason to cripple a device just because of personal, subjective reasons.  Part of what sold me on the Fuze was ability to play videos, and it performs about to my expectations from the reviews I’d read. Not perfect, but it’s good for cartoons especially.

back to topic… Clip hit the list for a combo of sound/size/price. All the others on the list have video, so what would make the Fuze stand out?  With video screens, smaller doesn’t mean better, and I read plenty of complaints about just getting video files converted to load on Fuze. 

Message Edited by donp on 01-02-2009 08:27 AM

If you’re going to pick a number one, the Clip has the advantage of being quite unique.  Simply put, it is a no-brainer, just as Enzo and company stated.  There is nothing on the market even close to the Sansa Clip, in terms of size, price, simplicity, battery life, function, and sound quality.

The Fuze blends some of this innovation over with the e200 series as a finished product (hence its name).

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

The main focus of Sansa Fuze is on Music not Video; it shares the same great sound quality as Sansa Clip with its video capability a plus.

I quit using Sansa Clip after receiving Sansa Fuze as a gift. To me, Sansa Fuze is much much better because of its sexy look, bigger screen and memory slot.

@donp wrote:

back to topic… Clip hit the list for a combo of sound/size/price. All the others on the list have video, so what would make the Fuze stand out?  With video screens, smaller doesn’t mean better, and I read plenty of complaints about just getting video files converted to load on Fuze. 

Message Edited by donp on 01-02-2009 08:27 AM

Interesting that three of these five players can play music ripped in AAC (iTunes’ default format). AAC has gone from being a pseudo-proprietary format to a real standard. If Sansa wants to stop hearing “aw screw it, its easier to just return the Fuze and get another iPod”, they need to support this ISO standard.

I agree with the Fuze not being on this list. Sure, it does video, but this forum is filled with problems getting video to work properly. And if it doesn’t do video well, what does it have over the clip? Just the microSD slot (though to me, that’s a big deal), but expanding capacity means loooong refresh times. Playlists are also a constant source of problems. I would have to think that Apple’s strongest competition should be something without all these problems.

@kevin02454 wrote:

The main focus of Sansa Fuze is on Music not Video; it shares the same great sound quality as Sansa Clip with its video capability a plus.

I quit using Sansa Clip after receiving Sansa Fuze as a gift. To me, Sansa Fuze is much much better because of its sexy look, bigger screen and memory slot.

Can I have your Clip as a spare then? lol

@kevin02454 wrote:

That’s how I see it too, and I’m happy with mine…unfortunately, from what it says on the box and websites, many people expect a fantabulous little video player with good sound as a bonus

@bdb wrote:

Interesting that three of these five players can play music ripped in AAC (iTunes’ default format). AAC has gone from being a pseudo-proprietary format to a real standard. If Sansa wants to stop hearing “aw screw it, its easier to just return the Fuze and get another iPod”, they need to support this ISO standard.

@bdb wrote:

@bdb wrote:

While I agree with the principle of avoiding the iFormat, you may have a point here. If these other companies have given up the good fight , then Sansa may also need to follow suit.

bdb wrote: I agree with the Fuze not being on this list. Sure, it does video, but this forum is filled with problems getting video to work properly. And if it doesn’t do video well, what does it have over the clip? Just the microSD slot (though to me, that’s a big deal), but expanding capacity means loooong refresh times. Playlists are also a constant source of problems. I would have to think that Apple’s strongest competition should be something without all these problems.

Well, the Fuze wasn’t technically on the list, but it was an “honorable mention” per se. Your points on the video are correct. So what does it have over the Clip? The card slot, as you mention, but the full color screen and battery life are also pluses. The playlist thing, well, as I’ve said before, I don’t use them, and so I have no comment.

@marvin_martian wrote:

While I agree with the principle of avoiding the iFormat, you may have a point here. If these other companies have given up the good fight , then Sansa may also need to follow suit.

AAC has been standardized by ISO and IEC, as part of the MPEG-2 & MPEG-4 specifications. I don’t think that neglecting to support an ISO standard is exactly “the good fight”.

@bdb wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

AAC has been standardized by ISO and IEC, as part of the MPEG-2 & MPEG-4 specifications. I don’t think that neglecting to support an ISO standard is exactly “the good fight”.

I did not know that.:dizzy_face:

The Clip is a better player than the Fuze since the Fuze doesn’t do video well? Would the Fuze be considered a better player than it is now if there was no video support on it? Imo video support should have been left off to make the firmware smaller, and hopefully if the programmers didn’t have to deal with video they would have included more robust audio features(perhaps variable speed playback with automatic pitch correction, navigation by folders or by tags, etc.) Hopefully we will get these features soon enough.