Amazon MP3 files showing up as [] (1.2.26)

I purchased Steve Martin’s “the Crow” (banjo music) from Amazon MP3 store.  I noticed that the artist, album, and songs were all appearing as (rectangular box) on the Fuze.

After several attempts to rewrite the tags, I used mp3tag.  I don’t know exactly what I did that made the change, but I changed the setting in Tag Options > MPEG from “ID3v2.3 UTF-16” to “ID3v2.4 UTF-8” and then “Save Tags” on all the files.  Now they appear correctly on the Fuze.

Odd, but I’m happy to have found a workaround.

Has anyone else had troubles with Amazon song downloads? 

@reviewboy wrote:

I purchased Steve Martin’s “the Crow” (banjo music) from Amazon MP3 store.  I noticed that the artist, album, and songs were all appearing as (rectangular box) on the Fuze.

After several attempts to rewrite the tags, I used mp3tag.  I don’t know exactly what I did that made the change, but I changed the setting in Tag Options > MPEG from “ID3v2.3 UTF-16” to “ID3v2.4 UTF-8” and then “Save Tags” on all the files.  Now they appear correctly on the Fuze.

Odd, but I’m happy to have found a workaround.

Has anyone else had troubles with Amazon song downloads? 

I’ve never bought single songs from Amazon, but the albums I’ve bought have all worked fine. I don’t know if single song vs. album should make a difference though…strange.

I have downloaded half a dozen single songs from Amazon a few weeks ago.  They all worked fine and I never experienced the issue you had.

My guess is that it is just a problem with that specific song you downloaded (and some others on Amazon probably have the same issue), but it’s more than likely not a common issue. 

I’ve tried single songs and they worked fine as well.  In fact, this was the first album I’ve had troubles with, which is why it surprised me.

purchased several albums myself, no issues yet. 

The tags are probably supplied to Amazon by the record label, so maybe Steve Martin’s little homegrown label sent weird tags. Bet when the album is reissued on Rounder people will have fewer problems.

As long as you’re using mp3tag, you should set it to ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1.  Unicode (UTF) tags aren’t as reliable in the Sansa.