Alright, I need a good FM transmitter for my Fuze

Don’t care if it’s great or perfect or gets static from time to time, I just want a solid and rather inexpensive FM transmitter for use with my car. I have a tape deck in one of the cars that I would be using it for if that makes any difference. Any advice on what to go with? I already used the search function and couldn’t come up with much of anything in the way of recommendations. Thank you all!

If you have a cassette deck get a cassette adapter. The direct connection will be better than the FM and much less hassle. 

Here’s one on Amazon.

Look at the reviews of various brands–looks like the cheapo Belkin is not a good idea. I’ve used a Sony adapter without any problems. 

You could probably pick one up for just a couple of bucks on Ebay, too, but get a brand name you know. 

Message Edited by Black-Rectangle on 06-01-2009 10:31 AM

@black_rectangle wrote:

If you have a cassette deck get a cassette adapter. The direct connection will be better than the FM and much less hassle. 

Here’s one on Amazon.

Look at the reviews of various brands–looks like the cheapo Belkin is not a good idea. I’ve used a Sony adapter without any problems. 

You could probably pick one up for just a couple of bucks on Ebay, too, but get a brand name you know. 

Message Edited by Black-Rectangle on 06-01-2009 10:31 AM

My cassette adapter that I use with my 14-year-old Sharp boombox was made by…wait for it…“iHome” lol. It was less than $10, but serves the purpose of providing tunes while I shave and shower, or cut my hair.  

I found a bunch of FM transmitters at dealextreme.

I purchased 2, 1 for each car.

Let my brother try it and he ordered one too.

Cost is $8.18 including shipping from Hong Kong.

It is and MP3 player too. Will accept flash drive and play music from it.

Link:   http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11218

Read the reviews.  Has worked very well for me.

Tim

From past posts here, the FM transmitters all are pretty poor quality.

Sound quality is low, static is an issue, fading in and out (and fairly constant re-adjusting) is an issue.  I use one on long trips and it’s barely OK.  You also have to put your Fuze volume at MAX and either set custom EQ for more bass or crank the bass on the car stereo.  Every time you get it just right, the radio frequencies in the area change and it requires a re-adjusting of the car stereo and the transmitter.  In the northeast, on the highway, I’d say you have to monkey with it every 10-20 miles.  It’s hard to believe that car stereo manufacturers would not have just put 3.5mm jacks into everything they make 10 years ago.

Definitely use the casette adapter if that’s an option!!!  Much better sound and easier operation!  Perhaps you can get someone to take out your existing stereo and either get one with a jack (that’s what I’d do for my good car-  if I didn’t have a kid and had extra money!) or, get another used stereo with a casette so you could use an adapter.  Perhaps someone at a stereo shop could rig an input jack?  I have not explored that option.

My Neuros (w/built in FM transmitter) works pretty well, so it CAN be done.

THere’s at least one that is powered off the lighter socket (so no batteries) AND has a sansa plug for the input so it charges the player too.  Look on Amazon.

If your area has no clear frequencies, some adapters hook into your antenna line.  THen when you are using the adapter, its signal is stronger than whatever is coming from the antenna. 

Another possibility is that if your existing stereo is “CD changer ready” it may have a socket on the back for that which you can cable out to your Fuze.  That was the case with my last car. 

The Satehi FM unit is great. This is the one shown on the Sandisk site for Fuze accessories. I’ve used mine for a month. Search Amazon, $29.+ shipping…

Message Edited by GaryC on 06-02-2009 08:44 AM

I took a different route: I have the Griffin FM Transmitter made for Sansa and though it worked OK for listening to most music, some podcasts sounded barely intelligible.  So I bit the bullet and bought a new receiver for the car with an AUX port on the front and installed it myself.  As well as being a better connection for the Fuze, it also permits me to play MP3/WMA/WAV CD’s which my stock unit did not.  I bought a relatively low-end Pioneer, and the sound quality is phenomenal even with the stock car speakers.   I have actually found found some passages in certain songs that I never new existed because they were muddled out of existence by the poor receiver/FM transmitter combo.  Had I known what the difference a good car receiver plus direct connection makes, I never would have even thought about spending money on a FM transmitter.

If you are still interested in the Griffin (and live in the US), PM me and I’ll sell my used one to you cheap…

The Satechi is the bomb. Check it out…here ---->  Satechi for Fuze