Accepted Solution

Alphabet Navigation

Thank you for the wrap around scrolling. Can I make a suggestion to improve the navigation? I realised in the 'albums' and 'artists' lists we navigate using the wheel and the left and right buttons. Since the Up and down buttons are not used, I was wondering if you could use them to jump from each of the Alphabets in the List. Like Akon ->Beyonce -> Coldplay. It will really help navigating to an artist in the middle of your list eg. Maroon 5 with 13 clicks rather than 50 turns on the wheel.

If that is not possible maybe we could group the artist in directories by their first Alphabet. Thanks.

Re: Alphabet Navigation

I would like to add to this, I think it could work by just pressing the down button for a while, when you are navigating through your songs, pictures or videos. First you hold down the down button for a couple of seconds, and instead of getting the action menu, you get the alphabet at the top of the screen. Then you can scroll through the letters and numbers. By pressing the down button again you would exit this mode, and with a short click you could open the action menu.

What do you think, would this be plausible?

SanDisk Professor

I absolutely agree.  The wrap around is definitely appreciated, but it doesn't really solve the problem.  If you're looking for something at the end of the list, it's a big help.  But finding something in the middle is still incredibly tedious.  I really want to add an 8GB card to my Fuze, but because long list navigation is so tedious and impractical already, there's not much point in doubling my content and making it even worse.

Now that the large playlist issue has been fixed (thank you!), this is really my only significant complaint.  If the long list navigation problem could be solved, the Fuze would be darn near perfect.

We really need an alpha index, accelerated scrolling, or preferably, both.  Sandisk - please, please consider this for the next FW.

SanDisk Guru

If you can remember the genre,  Album,  or Artist of the song you want,  then you can narrow your search times alot.
SanDisk Professor

[ Edited ]

@sansafix wrote:
If you can remember the genre,  Album,  or Artist of the song you want,  then you can narrow your search times alot.

Specifically, the Artist list is what I would like to be able to use.  But, I've got over 500 artists on my 8GB Fuze.  Scrolling into the middle of the list takes a long time and countless revolutions.  Which aside from being tedious also makes it impossible to use in the car or when doing any other activity that prevents you from dedicating several minutes to staring at the player and scrolling.  The Album list is even worse and the Song list is completely unusable.

An index would be ideal, but if it's technically not feasible for some reason, accelerated scrolling should be pretty simple.   For example, after x number of revolutions, start scrolling a page at a time instead of a line at a time.  Having both an index and acceleration would allow any size library to be navigated without problem.

I really hope you consider this feature.  If it's already a problem on an 8GB player, what's going to happen when people start adding 16GB cards?

Message Edited by Skinjob on 10-06-2008 01:12 PM
SanDisk Guru

I am in favor of a progressive, or at least a stepped-scan rate in the future.  The rate should increase if the scroll wheel is rotated above a set threshold, to a higher scan rate.

Bob  Smiley Wink

[ Edited ]

[quote]If you can remember the genre,  Album,  or Artist of the song you want,  then you can narrow your search times alot. [/quote]

Well, that does work ok, but if you want to continue to shuffle all you songs after playing that one file. Well, then this is not a solution!

From what I've seen this is one of the things that have been most complained about in the reviews of the fuze. It might even be what keeps many from buying it, so it would definetly be a good thing to add such a feature Smiley Happy.

Message Edited by rizzly on 10-07-2008 08:19 AM
Highlighted
SanDisk User

Yes, please add this feature! I have 2500 selections on my Fuze (4GB+4GB card), and even with the improved scrolling it can be very annoying to find something that's somewhere in the middle of the alphabet. I worry whether I should bother getting a larger capacity card.

My wife has a Sony player that has a nice alphabetical browser. I love my Fuze but I envy that one feature of her player!

SanDisk Professor

@cmhodge wrote:

Yes, please add this feature! I have 2500 selections on my Fuze (4GB+4GB card), and even with the improved scrolling it can be very annoying to find something that's somewhere in the middle of the alphabet. I worry whether I should bother getting a larger capacity card.

My wife has a Sony player that has a nice alphabetical browser. I love my Fuze but I envy that one feature of her player!

Yeah, I've been holding off getting an 8GB card for the same reason.  The Sony implementation of an alpha index is really nice.  I'd love to see something similar on the Fuze.

SanDisk Guru

[ Edited ]
We are looking at progressive speed up of the scroll.  Alphabet Nav is a big change and will not be implemented on this product.
Message Edited by sansafix on 10-15-2008 10:09 AM