All my music is gone

I don’t know how it happened, but I plugged my Fuze into my computer and I looked in my MUSIC file. And there were no songs. There were when I had it.

I uplugged it: and my Fuze was empty. Not a song on the player.

How did this happen?

Why did my Fuze delete my songs?

I now have to spend HOURS getting over 1600 songs back on my Fuze. What caused this?

If 1) the unit was in Auto Detect or MTP mode under Settings/USB Mode

2)  the computer you plugged it into had WMP 10 or 11

and 

3) the music library in that computer’s WMP was empty

it might have automatically “synced” your Fuze to match what was on the computer: nada. 

The default setting in WMP is Auto-Synch. 

Solution for next time: Switch to MSC mode before you ever connect to another computer. And while you’re at it, transfer your albums via MSC–just drag-and-drop–rather than dealing with WMP if you can possibly avoid it. 

For what it’s worth, Music is not the only place the songs can be. They can be on the Fuze anywhere. But if it’s not showing them, and it did before, they are probably gone. 

Well, I am using MSC mode. I’ve always dragged-and-dropped my mp3s.

Then what happened is entirely mysterious to me.

The Fuze can be formatted–wiped clean–from the Settings menu. Maybe that’s what happened. I can imagine a scenario where it was in a pocket, turned on, and somehow the wheel was turned and the button was pushed. Far-fetched, but…

Otherwise…stick with MSC and try, try again.

yeah, I just added everything back. It took a while remembering which 7.5 gigs of music out of my over 50gigs of music on my computer was on my Fuze, but I got most of them back on no problem.

I think it was formatted because all the stuff from the updates are gone too.

Speaking of that, if I download the latest update, do I get the stuff added in the earlier ones too?

Yes, the most current update will include everything from previous ones.

It’s a bummer to have lost all the music on your device.  I’m getting a microsdhc card just to hold my backup copies of my music.  With the current prices, I can get a couple just for that. 

well there’s something else happening that I think might be connected with the dissapearence of my music: my Fuze seems to be disconnecting randomly, especially when i’m transferring something or using MediaMonkey. It took me 5 tries to get all my music back onto my Fuze because of this. There seems to be no damage to the cord, but just out of precaution, how do I acquire another Fuze USB cord? and furthermore do you think that the fact that I sometimes carry my USB cord in my pocket, might cause problems with the cord? Do you think that the Fuze may have gotten some dirt inside it from the only open port on it, the USB connector (I have a microcard in the other slot)?

I’ve only been having real problems with my Fuze when I keep it plugged in for longer than 4 hours or so (I have to add all the album covers back to my mp3s one by one, which will take much longer than that). 

You can find replacement Fuze cords on Amazon or Ebay for <$5. The same cord fits the E200 if you really want to comparison-shop. I have used two different el cheapo generic ones with no problems, but if you’re paranoid you could pay more for a SanDisk brand cord.

Amazon

Since every other cord I own is black, I got a white cord, which makes it a lot easier to find…it’s still not a dopI player…

Connecting and disconnecting does usually indicate power problems via the cord. Make sure you’re not using a hub, and use a back USB port (more power) rather than a front one if there’s a choice. 

Also, just for the heck of it, you might reinstall Media Monkey in case something has gone wacky there. Don’t forget to put back the permanent lame_enc.dll instead of the temporary one that comes with the free version. 

Message Edited by Black-Rectangle on 08-23-2009 08:13 AM

I’ve had bad purchasing experiences with both eBay and Amazon. Would a store like Best Buy carry Fuze USB cords?

@docstrange wrote:

Formatting would not deete or revert firmware back to a previous version. You may have more serious [hardware] problems. I’d keep an eye on things. See if this (or other equally bizarre weirdness) happens again.

And no, Best Buy won’t sell the cables separately. The only places I know who does are on-line.

@docstrange wrote:

Formatting would not delete or revert firmware back to a previous version. It just can’t happen that way. And I doubt very seriously whether you could initiate the correct sequence of button presses, intentionally or accidentally, that would trigger a Format of the player while it was in your pocket. You may have more serious [hardware] problems. I’d keep an eye on things. See if this (or other equally bizarre weirdness) happens again.

And no, Best Buy won’t sell the cables separately. The only places I know who does are on-line.

Yeah, I didn’t know what firmware I had, so I assumed the worst. I just checked up online and yes, my firmware updates didn’t get removed.