Albums with identical names

Here is a funny one. I have 4 albums named “Best of” on my Fuze, all by different artists of course. My Fuze, however, assumes these are all the same album, which means when I choose to play by album, which I usually do, I get a surreal mix of artists and genres. Now, I really don’t want to start renaming these albums, since “Best of” is what they are called. Is there anything else I could do to sort this out?

Allright im not so sure whether this will work but giive it a try.Except of browsing by MUSIC>ALBUMS browse by this method.

MUSIC>ARTIST of the album>ALBUM>TRACK.I guess this would only play the songs by the specified artist.

CHEERS,

SR 

Yeah, that’s a good idea - thanks. The only problem with it is that I also have lots of collections by various artists, which is the reason I prefer not to look into my artists list, since there are  hundreds of artists there. So while this is a good solution, if anyone else has even better ideas - please keep posting.

@kookoo wrote:
Here is a funny one. I have 4 albums named “Best of” on my Fuze, all by different artists of course. My Fuze, however, assumes these are all the same album, which means when I choose to play by album, which I usually do, I get a surreal mix of artists and genres. Now, I really don’t want to start renaming these albums, since “Best of” is what they are called. Is there anything else I could do to sort this out?

As long as the album actually are all music from one artist that will work. However, it won’t work for albums that have a mix of various artists. For example, there are albums with names like “Best of the '60s” that have mixed artists.

On all honesty, there are no albums title just simply “Best of”. That’s only a partial album name. You would not even be able to find or buy an album that way.

The real solution is to have the album name ID3 tag set to the full complete album name. Like “Best of Cher”, “Best of the 60s”, or “Best of the 60s CD 1”, etc.

And even then you could still have duplicates because different music companies may put out an album with the same name, or the same company may re-release the same album name again in a different year. So, sometimes the complete album name needs to also have the that info included like “Best of the 60s [BMC]” or “Best of the 60s [BMC 1980]”.

Most CD ripping programs or purchased music automatically do set up the full album name correctly. However, sometims they don’t and you need to do it yourself. I know that’s some extra work, but it’s really the best way to keep thing organized.

@kookoo wrote:
  if anyone else has even better ideas - please keep posting.

I think I do :wink: :

1. Use Folder browsing OR

2. Visit this thread and help convincing Sansa developers :smileyvery-happy:.

@miltst wrote:

On all honesty, there are no albums title just simply “Best of”. That’s only a partial album name. You would not even be able to find or buy an album that way.

The real solution is to have the album name ID3 tag set to the full complete album name. Like “Best of Cher”, “Best of the 60s”, or “Best of the 60s CD 1”, etc.

I stand corrected - my issue is with “Greatest Hits”, not “The Best Of”. You are right of course, the title is usually “the best of something”, however with the “Greatest Hits” it is usually just that.  I’ve refreshed my Fuze last night, and now I have a single album “Greatest Hits” by Robbie Williams and Guns’N Roses. :slight_smile:

@kookoo wrote:

@miltst wrote:

I stand corrected - my issue is with “Greatest Hits” , not “The Best Of”. You are right of course, the title is usually “the best of something”, however with the “Greatest Hits” it is usually just that.  I’ve refreshed my Fuze last night, and now I have a single album “Greatest Hits” by Robbie Williams and Guns’N Roses. :slight_smile:

There are indeed albums called simply “Best of” or “The Best of”. They are few and far between. I own 1 that is named like this. It is done most often by bands that have “The” in the title. I dont know who my album is by but Im pretty sure it was not a major label release.

The easy fix for greatest hits issue IMO is to Name the album with the artist name (Bon Jovi Greatest Hits) this keeps it from getting confusing.

Yip, probably the simplest solution indeed. I hate changing titles from the originals, but it doesn’t seem like I have a choice for this one.

Use mp3tag to change the album titles.

First set it (under Tools/Options/Tags/Mpeg) always to Write ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1 tags.  Fuze likes those best. 

Highlight all the tracks, change the Album title on the left, Save and you’re done. 20 seconds per album, at most.