Adding Playlists

There are many posts on this already, please search for “m3u”.  Also look in the Clip forum (playlists work the same on both).

Short answer is that the paths in the playlist are most likely not correct. The paths need to be relative to the location of the m3u file.

BTW, how are you using Winamp with Ubuntu?

I’m using Wine to run Winamp

1. Connect your player in MSC mode. 
  2. Create a new, blank playlist in Winamp. (Double-check it as I’ve found it sometimes adds your entire library to it un-announced). I usually right-click on PLAYLISTS . . .NEW.
  3. Open a Windows Explorer pane with your player’s MUSIC folder in it ( NOT your music folder/library on your computer! ).
  4. Drag’n’drop the files you want on the playlist from the Explorer window to the large playlist pane in Winamp.
  5. When finished with your playlist, double-click on the playlist name in the left pane. This will send the contents of the playlist up to the Playlist Editor pane.
  6. Click on FILE|Save Playlist. Here you will get the standard Windows SAVE box. Name your playlist again (should be the same as you named it in Winamp) and save in your MUSIC folder on your player ( NOT in the PLAYLISTS folder as you would think. This is where you get the [empty] playlists).
  7. If you have a SDHC card, you can make another playlist for music on that too. Just save it in the root directory with the music or in the MUSIC file (if you have one; I don’t).

Eazy-Peazy-Lemon-Squeezy ! :stuck_out_tongue:

Note: You can not combine the music from your player’s internal memory and the SD card into a single playlist unless you convert the .m3u format that Winamp creates into .pla format. Google around; there are programs/scripts people have wrtten that will do this.

Disclaimer: Ths works for me using Winamp running Windows. You’re running Linux, so “your mileage may vary!” :smiley:

Message Edited by Tapeworm on 03-18-2009 05:12 PM

Message Edited by Tapeworm on 11-06-2009 07:12 PM

1 Like

That doesn’t work. I’m gonna see if I can get the EasyTAG thing to work.

ETA:  The EasyTAG program works. Thank you both for your guys help.

Message Edited by SilverWolf on 07-25-2008 08:41 PM

SilverWolf wrote: 

How do I get the playlists to work? I’m using Ubuntu.

Tapeworm wrote:

Open a Windows Explorer pane with your player’s MUSIC folder in it ( NOT your music folder/library on your computer! ).

SilverWolf wrote:

That doesn’t work.

D’oh! What the heck was I thinking? S-u-u-r-r-r-e, open a Windows explorer pane in Linux! That’d be a nice trick! :stuck_out_tongue:

Message Edited by Tapeworm on 02-02-2009 01:53 PM

I have tried to add a play list and I did get further than the instructions got me, but all that it showed me was the playlist’ name on my MP3, when I clicked on it it did not contain any of the songs that I added to the playlist in winamp and said it was empty. Can you still help me ?!

Many Thanks

Fa_an99 

@fa_an99 wrote:

I have tried to add a play list and I did get further than the instructions got me, but all that it showed me was the playlist’ name on my MP3, when I clicked on it it did not contain any of the songs that I added to the playlist in winamp and said it was empty. Can you still help me ?!

Many Thanks

Fa_an99 

Did you transfer the songs as well as the playlist?

Make sure the songs you are adding to the playlist are from the player, not the same song files that may reside on your computer’s hard drive. The paths won’t be correct. This would cause an <empty> playlist.

I am the songs to my playlist by dragging them into winamp from the windows browser of sansa as well as just right clicking, send to playlist. Both show up as an <empty> playlist. Thanks for your help.

@fa_an99 wrote:
 I am the songs to my playlist by dragging them into winamp from the windows browser of sansa as well as just right clicking, send to playlist. Both show up as an <empty> playlist. Thanks for your help.

Are the playlists m3u files? m3u files are just plain text files with a different extension. Open them with notepad (or a text editor of your choice) and have a look at what they contain.

What the lines in them say will depend on where the m3u file is saved. If it is saved in the root directory the file should have lines that look like this:

MUSIC\Girl_talk\2008-Feed_the_Animals\01_Play_Your_Part_(Pt._1).ogg

MUSIC\Girl_talk\2008-Feed_the_Animals\02_Shut_The_Club_Down.ogg

If it says something like:

E:\MUSIC\Girl_talk\2008-Feed_the_Animals\01_Play_Your_Part_(Pt._1).ogg

then WinAmp is not doing the right thing.

Now when i save a playlist, there are 2 on the MP3 player , one of which has music in and the other does not. When I try to play the tracks in the playlist it says “Synchronise to continue music subscription”. Can anyone help and has this happened before to anyone ?

Many Thanks  

@fa_an99 wrote:

Now when i save a playlist, there are 2 on the MP3 player , one of which has music in and the other does not. When I try to play the tracks in the playlist it says “Synchronise to continue music subscription”. Can anyone help and has this happened before to anyone ?

Many Thanks  

This forum has a search function, use it to find out… unless you are so lazy that you would rather reply so that I (or someone else) will do it for you?

Message Edited by hazza on 02-04-2009 07:41 AM

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

@fa_an99 wrote:

Are the playlists m3u files? m3u files are just plain text files with a different extension. Open them with notepad (or a text editor of your choice) and have a look at what they contain.

What the lines in them say will depend on where the m3u file is saved. If it is saved in the root directory the file should have lines that look like this:

MUSIC\Girl_talk\2008-Feed_the_Animals\01_Play_Your_Part_(Pt._1).ogg

MUSIC\Girl_talk\2008-Feed_the_Animals\02_Shut_The_Club_Down.ogg

If it says something like:

E:\MUSIC\Girl_talk\2008-Feed_the_Animals\01_Play_Your_Part_(Pt._1).ogg

then WinAmp is not doing the right thing.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

When i open the file it says

"#EXTM3U

#EXTINF:104,Dakar & Grinser - I Wanna Be Your Dog

2 many djs\05 Track 5 Unknown Artist Unknown Album (17 04 2004 17 20 10).wma"

and

#EXTM3U

#EXTINF:57,Polyester Players - J’Aime Regarder Les Mecs/Dance to the Music/Oh Sheila [Acapella]

2 many djs\04 Track 4 Unknown Artist Unknown Album (17 04 2004 17 20 10).wma

both of which don’t play on the  MP3 player as they say “synchronise to continue your music subscription”

Please help ! !! !

Many thanks  

I notice that your files have a .wma extention. Are these songs you ripped in Windows Media Player from CD’s? If so, the ‘syncronize to continue subscription’ message probably means the ‘Copy Protect’ setting is turned on in WMP giving you DRM (Digital Rights Monstrosity) issues.

In Tools, Options, click on the ‘Rip’ tab and see if this option is ‘ticked’. If so, un-tick it and re-rip. Better yet, change the format to .mp3 and you’ll guarantee that you will never see this problem again.

I’ve also noticed Winamp does not like .wma files when it comes to making .m3u playlists.

I just finished trying Tapeworm’s method and it completely worked. Thank you!

So…since the music is organized by artist and album on the player, I need to pick through the folders to assemble my playlist - the set of files which I actually just synced to the player using a WMP playlist?

No way to translate that WMP playlist to a Sansa playlist?

TAPEWORM

Thank you so much for your tutorial!! it works perfectly finally!!! I am so happy now for that!! I appreciate this!

IT’S PERFECT!

Glad it worked for you! :smiley:

Hey! I think I’ve done what Tapeworm said, and when I first opened one of the playlists on the fuze, it was perfect. Then I tried to open another one, and there were less songs than there was supposed to be. I went back to look for the first playlist and it wasn’t the same, there were like 11 songs when there should have been 60 or more.

I turned the player off and then I turn it back on, same problems with different playlists. I tried a couple of times more and it’s happening the same, sometimes a playlist that should have 200 songs show only 3, and sometimes shows the whole 200. 

I have a fuze v2. help anyone? thanks! :slight_smile:

val-

Hi,

I have this problem, winamp only adds the shortcut not the file itself (giving me E:/…).

I tried adding files using ‘add’, tried copying them and norhing has changed so far. how do I get the winamp to copy the file and not just its location?