Accessories

1. Docking Station- i think that the docking stations are only for charging and connectivity to speakers …am i correct?
  2. Silicon Case- any cheap ones from stores or reliable sites (no ebay please) under $10
  3. Memory Cards- links or stores that have 4gbs for under $15
    4)Screen Protector/ Belt clip- any cheap ones under $8
    oh and
  4. FM Transmitter- im not sure how much these run for, but i need a good bargain

Im on a budget and I want some accessories

the quality should be decent and name brands are the last thing on my mind!

1. Docking Station- i think that the docking stations are only for charging and connectivity to speakers …am i correct?

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/docksansa

Charges, plays and connects to speakers. 
2) Silicon Case- any cheap ones from stores or reliable sites (no ebay please) under $10

I got mine off Amazon.  Came with the silicon case, arm band and belt clip.  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00194G1KO (the screen protector was too heavy to use, I use the one I suggested on #4).
3) Memory Cards- links or stores that have 4gbs for under $15

I get mine off Amazon too.  that’s the cheapest.  Stores are usually expensive.

Screen shields can be bought at walmart for around $5 for several, that’s where I got mine.  You just cut down to fit the fuze.  Real easy.  You get about 5 per package and you can use one sheet 2 or 3 times on your fuze.
oh and
5) FM Transmitter- im not sure how much these run for, but i need a good bargain

I’m not sure what you’re asking, does your Fuze FM radio not work?

@dalaug234 wrote:

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/docksansa

Charges, plays and connects to speakers. 

I dont need this for charging and i can hook mine up to my stereo, so uneeded.
2) Silicon Case- any cheap ones from stores or reliable sites (no ebay please) under $10

I got mine off Amazon.  Came with the silicon case, arm band and belt clip.  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00194G1KO (the screen protector was too heavy to use, I use the one I suggested on #4).

This looks like a good deal…is the clear one really clear? as in I will be able to still see the red in my fuze?
3) Memory Cards- links or stores that have 4gbs for under $15

I get mine off Amazon too.  that’s the cheapest.  Stores are usually expensive.

Walmart is going to have a 4gb one for $10 on black friday!!!

Screen shields can be bought at walmart for around $5 for several, that’s where I got mine.  You just cut down to fit the fuze.  Real easy.  You get about 5 per package and you can use one sheet 2 or 3 times on your fuze.
oh and

Okay, yea I’ve seen these for mobile phones/psps and etc
5) FM Transmitter- im not sure how much these run for, but i need a good bargain

FM transmitter- where you can put ur radio on a station that isnt in service(fuzz) and you hook the transmitter to ur fuze and it will play your audio on that particular station

I’m not sure if they have these for the fuze or not?

Staple’s will have 4GB Sandisk microsd cards this coming friday on black friday for $9.99,  A lot of other places will have them the same day for 12.99 and 14.99.  Just check your ads in the paper this week

@differentchick5 wrote:

@dalaug234 wrote:

1. FM Transmitter- im not sure how much these run for, but i need a good bargain

FM transmitter- where you can put ur radio on a station that isnt in service(fuzz) and you hook the transmitter to ur fuze and it will play your audio on that particular station

I’m not sure if they have these for the fuze or not?

Just to clarify . . . an FM transmitter allows you to use your (in this case) Sansa player through your car’s stereo system. It hasn’t had many positive reviews or opinions here on the forum. Most say the reception and sound quality is intermittent at best.

Some say it just plain s _ _ ks! :smileyvery-happy:

Why would you bother with a 4gb card for $10 when you can get an 8gb for less than $20 off Amazon?:smiley:

And the clear silicone case will mask the color …my blue Fuze isn’t blue w/the skin on.  However, if you must have the belt clip, you gotta get one. On amazon I got the combo…skin/beltclip/armband…it was really cheap. I put a  screen protector on though, so I don’t use the skin much…around the house I use a shirt pocket. I like the armband better than the belt clip, 'cause it swivels w/belt clip and I think it’s falling off…armband holds it steady. :smiley: After all this though, I got the Sansa CLip too, 'cause I worried too much about my baby(Fuze) . So out in the big bad outdoors, I use  the Clip, but that’s just me…they’re both cool :wink:

Meritline.com has 8GB Kingston MicroSDHC cards for $18.99 shipped.  My brother got me one for an early Christmas present.  It’s cool to now have a 12GB Fuze!

All the best.

@marvin_martian wrote:

After all this though, I got the Sansa CLip too, 'cause I worried too much about my baby(Fuze) . So out in the big bad outdoors, I use  the Clip, but that’s just me…they’re both cool :wink:

If you want a rough & rugged player for outdoor or hazardous use, consider SanDisk’s new SlotMusic player. There is no screen, which some view as a ‘minus’, but do you really need one during some outdoor activities? There is also no internal memory. It uses Micro-SD/SDHC cards exclusively (up to the new 16GB variety) so space is only limited by your card size and/or budget. And at only $20, you don’t have to worry about babying it.

It’s not that big of a loss if it accidentally falls in the wood chipper. Now losing the memory card . . . THAT could hurt! :dizzy_face:

@hulksmashnow wrote:

Meritline.com has 8GB Kingston MicroSDHC cards for $18.99 shipped.  My brother got me one for an early Christmas present.  It’s cool to now have a 12GB Fuze!

All the best.

Stay away from the Kingston MicroSDHC if you wanna watch videos on your Fuze, there are many threads out there stating the problem :wink:

Mos def, code.

Those Kingston 8gb cards not good for video.

@tapeworm wrote:

Just to clarify . . . an FM transmitter allows you to use your (in this case) Sansa player through your car’s stereo system. It hasn’t had many positive reviews or opinions here on the forum. Most say the reception and sound quality is intermittent at best.

Some say it just plain s _ _ ks! :smileyvery-happy:

I have the Griffin iTrip for Sansa.  I’d say that it s**ks, but I don’t think it could even do THAT well.  It is definitely a low-fi transmitter.  I have to set the EQ to a deep “V” to get decent sound using it.  But, it DOES charge my Fuze in the car.

I also have a Belkin universal unit that has better sound, but it’s the one with 4 channel selections, so it is limited where I can use it.

I have a $20 Belkin universal unit I got from Wal-Mart before a long road trip over the summer.  Its certainly better than nothing, and it DOES let me hear my music on the road.  While I’m driving, I rarely pay very close attention to the nuances of the music, so the lack of quality and depth is tolerable, but still very annoying.  The amount of hiss and buzz is terrible, not to mention that you constantly get interference as you drive around, because you’ll never find a perfectly “clean” bandwidth, and levels of interference on any bandwidth change pretty frequently as you drive around.  I have to alternate between 3 different stations in about a 15 mile radius, due to the weakness of the transmitter and the constant interference. 

Its really annoying to constantly change stations, and due to the lack of an amplifier in the transmitter, I have to crank the volume to max (which really seems to overpower the signal and make it sound like ■■■■, not to mention killing my battery life), and I can’t crank my stock stereo as it will get all muddy and buzzy unless I’m using a direct source (CD).  

I really think most FM transmitters are a bad deal, especially the expensive ones that are like 80 bucks.  They’ll all sound pretty lame, so just accept that and get a cheap one if you just need SOMETHING to play your music.  But given the prevalence of cheap decent head units with line-in ports and stereo amps, you’re better off saving a bit more for the HUGE difference in sound quality, IMHO.

I’ve tried a couple FM transmitters and found them to be worse than useless.  They are too weak and the resulting volume is intolerably low.

I got a Sony cassette adapter and it works extremely well.

@tapeworm wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

After all this though, I got the Sansa CLip too, 'cause I worried too much about my baby(Fuze) . So out in the big bad outdoors, I use  the Clip, but that’s just me…they’re both cool :wink:

If you want a rough & rugged player for outdoor or hazardous use, consider SanDisk’s new SlotMusic player. There is no screen, which some view as a ‘minus’, but do you really need one during some outdoor activities? There is also no internal memory. It uses Micro-SD/SDHC cards exclusively (up to the new 16GB variety) so space is only limited by your card size and/or budget. And at only $20, you don’t have to worry about babying it.

It’s not that big of a loss if it accidentally falls in the wood chipper. Now losing the memory card . . . THAT could hurt! :dizzy_face:

I might be able to forgo the screen if it had shuffle mode :smiley: Imagine, if you will, your example of the 16gb card…or even the 8gb…without shuffle, or a screen where you could select a certain artist or album, there would be things on your card it would take forever before you heard them. I think they would sell a lot more of them if a shuffle mode was available, but I don’t know how much it would drive up the price…I would buy one as a true “beater” if it had shuffleand a clip and was still so inexpensive:wink:

@marvin_martian wrote:

I might be able to forgo the screen if it had shuffle mode :smiley: Imagine, if you will, your example of the 16gb card…or even the 8gb…without shuffle, or a screen where you could select a certain artist or album, there would be things on your card it would take forever before you heard them. I think they would sell a lot more of them if a shuffle mode was available, but I don’t know how much it would drive up the price…I would buy one as a true “beater” if it had shuffleand a clip and was still so inexpensive:wink:

I agree 100%. The lack of a shuffle function on a player where you can’t select what is going to play is probably the only reason I haven’t dropped a $20 bill on one yet.

Not having one I can’t say, but what order does it play in? I’ve heard that it plays in the order in which the files were added to the card, but that just doesn’t make sense to me. I would think it more likely plays alphbetical, but by what parameters? Artist or song title? And does it play this order by file name or ID3tag?

And here’s the $64,000 question . . . since you can’t select what it plays, and whatever order it plays in, what happens when you shut it off and then turn it back on? Does it start it’s playlist over again, or does it resume from the point where it was when it was turned off? I can’t imagine having it play the same songs every time you turn it on unless you change cards! I also can’t imagine having a sizeable card (8 or 16GB) & having to leave it on for days (literally) just in order to hear songs that are in the middle or further into whatever playlist it uses. You would never hear them! It only uses a AAA battery! Is it then going to reset and start playing from the beginning again?

Tapeworm wrote:

Not having one I can’t say, but what order does it play in? I’ve heard that it plays in the order in which the files were added to the card, but that just doesn’t make sense to me. I would think it more likely plays alphbetical, but by what parameters? Artist or song title? And does it play this order by file name or ID3tag?

And here’s the $64,000 question . . . since you can’t select what it plays, and whatever order it plays in, what happens when you shut it off and then turn it back on? Does it start it’s playlist over again, or does it resume from the point where it was when it was turned off? I can’t imagine having it play the same songs every time you turn it on unless you change cards! I also can’t imagine having a sizeable card (8 or 16GB) & having to leave it on for days (literally) just in order to hear songs that are in the middle or further into whatever playlist it uses. You would never hear them! It only uses a AAA battery! Is it then going to reset and start playing from the beginning again?

So many questions, and since I do have one, a few answers.

First, a warning of sorts.  Everytime you power it on, it starts at mid-volume.  This might be OK for some, but I have to turn it down a few notches to be comfortable.  The sound is decent, better of course with some better earbuds/IEMs.

As for play order, it appears to play in alphabetical folder order, like:

Folder A, Song A

Folder A, Song B

…etc

Folder B, Song A

Folder B, Song B

And it sorts numbers as well.  I don’t think it reads tags at all.  Admittedly, a shuffle mode would be nice, and I’ve tried a number of button combinations to see if any other functions/settings are available, but so far nothing.

You can either pause it and remove the headphones and it will shut off, or you can hold the Play/Pause button and will turn off.  When you turn it on again, it will resume where it left off, even if you remove the card.  I haven’t tried removing card 1, playing card 2, reinserting card 1 to see where it starts.  If you remove the battery and the card, it still resumes where it left off.  You can step through the songs to find the one you want, but admittedly that could take a long time on a big card.  It wraps the “playlist”, after the last song it goes back to the first song.

I don’t think it’s really geared toward larger capacity cards; it’s meant to play a single album at the time on the 1GB cards like you would play a single CD one at a time on a portable.  For some people this is adequate, for those that it isn’t they should buy another player.  It’s an entry-level player for someone that doesn’t have one; a way for them to get into the technology initially and then move on to a better player when they get more comfortable with the concept.

Message Edited by jkj1962 on 11-25-2008 09:37 PM

Thanks, your $64,000 check is in the mail. :wink:

My main gripe with the whole thing is the cards themselves.  While I like the idea of people being able to buy cards and listen to albums right away, charging CD price for something that’s a bit less isn’t gonna fly, IMHO.  Granted, the 256kbps mp3 files are higher quality than iTunes, and many other online downloading sites, and they have the additional benefit of all being entirely DRM free.  Hmm, let’s do a little math, here, CD’s hold 700MB, and they have entirely non-compressed digital audio.  So why the hell can they not put lossless music on a 1GB microSD card?

This is going to be a huge disadvantage for the format, as the one thing keeping CD sales alive (other than their convenience in car stereos) is their superior sound quality.  They’re one of the few ways to get lossless digital music.  People pay for compressed music because of the convenience and ease of organization, and the fact that the average person can’t tell much if any difference on average equipment.  Given the same price point, I don’t see much of anyone buying more than one or two of these just for the novelty, as its certainly no more convenient than getting a CD, which you can play easily in any car, and then ripping it (and compressing, if desired).  You still have the lossless digital source file on an easily archivable digital medium.  I don’t see people paying money for a physical medium that they can’t keep as the lossless “master”, so to speak.  Not to mention that like it or not, the majority of market share in this market is owned by iPods, which have no SD slot (nor do many other players, including Zunes).  All I see this as is an attempt to replace the old CD Walkmans and disc cases we carried around up until a few years ago, with a smaller and more convenient alternative.  Unfortunately, its about 5 years too late.

Now, if they want to turn this into a success, there’s still hope.  Skip all the “bonus content” and “512MB FREE for your files!!-wow!”, and just give us lossless music (I’d go with MIDI, as its by far the most universal).  Then, you have a physical way to get lossless music, that is much easier to store and carry, and less susceptible to damage than a CD.  Do that, and replace the slotMusic player completely with a 0GB Clip w/ microSD slot, and they’ll really have something. :wink:

I was going to suggest FLAC for lossless on the cards, but they want it to be usable for people with random cell phones, so I guess that wouldn’t work. I will say this…I recently bought a 256kbps album off Amazon to replace an old too-scratched-to-rip CD.($7.99 vs. $18.99…no contest when I still have the original liner notes, etc.) And with the equipment I have, both headphones, and the home stereo, it sounds just fine to me. Would I have preferred to be able to buy it in FLAC form? Absolutely…'cause I aspire to better 'phones and stereo system one day.  SlotMusic, though…I think if I’m gonna buy a physical copy I too would prefer the CD, at least the way the SM is now. As far as your idea on the 0gb Clip with microsdhc slot…I’m guessing we won’t see that. I can’t imagine they’d be able to keep it the same size…and being that the size is the biggest reason to get a Clip as opposed to a Fuze(asides from the um, clip) , probably not. Although, it would be great to plug my 8gb card into my 2gb Clip :smiley:

Oh, I totally agree.  The lack of a microSDHC slot was the only reason I got a Fuze instead of a Clip.  Granted, since I got it, I’m glad I did, as I love the wheel navigation, bigger screen, more “open” feel, and a dock connector so I can eventually use line-out.  I’m not saying give them an actual Clip, but it seems a good player could be cheaply made based on one.  Skip the mic, internal flash, and fm radio, move around the other components on the board a bit, and you should be able to fit a microSDHC slot on there somewhere.  If you have to make the case a bit bigger, so be it.  I’m just saying that having a screen and better controls would make a huge difference, and as cheap as Clips are these days, the AS3525 can’t be too expensive.  So save the R&D on improving the current player, and just adapt the current Clip to fit the task.