Accessing micro SD card

Ok. Well When you look at your songs list there are little icons that look like an SD card; thise are the ones on the SD card. If you want to play only songs on the SD card, I would suggest deleting eveything off of your SD card, and then using windows media player , winamp, media monkey, or any other program that creates playlists, to make a playlist for your card, and then syncing the playlist to your Card.  IS that what you meant?

I do listen to songs on my Fuze, but mostly I use to carry pictures in a portable way (I am a fairly serious amateur photographer). My intent is to have a selection of interchangeable micro SD cards that I can swap at any time. My question is, how do I operate the menu on the Fuze to go to the card? Is there a place where I can select internal memory OR card and then the particular folder? Do I have to place the files on a particular folder of the SD card when the Fuze is connected to the computer?

No… There is not Folder based navigation on the Fuze which is to the best of my understanding what you are asking for. HOWEVER when you go to the pictures menu you should see the same little Icon that you see on songs. You can navigate based on that.

I think I got it, THANK YOU.

To confirm:

1. With the card in the Sansa and the Sansa connected to the computer, files are placed in the folder

Sansa Fuze 8GB\External uSD Card\MSC

1. Files placed in there can be in sub-folders, BUT THOSE FOLDERS CAN’T BE RENAMED (the new name does not take when you look at them in your Sansa.

2. The picture files are found under the regular place for Photos, with no indication that they physically reside on the card, rather than the internal memory.

Also, I tried resizing high-resolution pictures to a fairly small size and these display fine in the Sansa, without using the media converter application.

Does this sound about right?

Thank you!

Good Job… It takes some people weeks to get where you are right now. One small thing… you can rename the sub folders but it wont matter because they are not used for navigation

Message Edited by Conversionbox on 01-07-2009 02:11 AM

My 4GB Fuze is making me want to blow a fuse. I bought a 2GB micro SD card, and when I insert it, it only does something if I push it all the way in; I get the little “Refreshing your media” screen. Normally, though, part of it sticks out. Is that how it’s supposed to fit? Do I have to format it before I use it? If so, how do I do this?

Tonight I updated my firmware. Now, when I hook it up to the computer, I get my little Sansa icon, but when I click on the folders, instead of showing me the contents, they are all empty. But there are all still on my player.

I’m very confused.

@chc94 wrote:

My 4GB Fuze is making me want to blow a fuse. I bought a 2GB micro SD card, and when I insert it, it only does something if I push it all the way in; I get the little “Refreshing your media” screen. Normally, though, part of it sticks out. Is that how it’s supposed to fit? Do I have to format it before I use it? If so, how do I do this?

Tonight I updated my firmware. Now, when I hook it up to the computer, I get my little Sansa icon, but when I click on the folders, instead of showing me the contents, they are all empty. But there are all still on my player.

I’m very confused.

No Part of the card should stick out. You have to push it all the way in so that the side is smooth. If you slide it all the way in so none of it sticks out you shoud get that refreshing your media screen while the fuze rebuilds your database. This is all normal. When you connect the Fuze to update the Firmware, it puts the fuze into MSC mode. Your Fuze has 2 USB modes, MSC and MTP. If you add music in one you cant see it in the other. So unhook and go to settings> system settings> Usb Mode> MTP, then plug it in, and check for your files. This too is normal.

@conversionbox wrote:

@chc94 wrote:

I’m very confused.

No Part of the card should stick out. You have to push it all the way in so that the side is smooth. If you slide it all the way in so none of it sticks out you shoud get that refreshing your media screen while the fuze rebuilds your database. This is all normal. When you connect the Fuze to update the Firmware, it puts the fuze into MSC mode. Your Fuze has 2 USB modes, MSC and MTP. If you add music in one you cant see it in the other. So unhook and go to settings> system settings> Usb Mode> MTP, then plug it in, and check for your files. This too is normal.

OK. I just fiddled with the micro SD card; it went click-click and now it doesn’t stick out! Yay! I set the USB mode to Auto so hopefully it will do what it needs to do on its own. I have to look now at My Computer and see if it registered the card as a drive or not. (all this so I can have a little audiobook library & more tunes - ::shaking head::slight_smile: :stuck_out_tongue:

Hmm… it still tells me I have 4GB. I suppose I have to change the USB setting to see the card. And I found my files, which averted a crying fit.

Thank you, Conversionbox! And I don’t know why you’re up at 3 am (EST) [wait, I’m not sure why * I * am up!] but I am glad you are. Thanks again!

I’m sure I will be back with more questions.

@chc94 wrote:

@conversionbox wrote:

@chc94 wrote:

I’m very confused.

OK. I just fiddled with the micro SD card; it went click-click and now it doesn’t stick out! Yay! I set the USB mode to Auto so hopefully it will do what it needs to do on its own. I have to look now at My Computer and see if it registered the card as a drive or not. (all this so I can have a little audiobook library & more tunes - ::shaking head::slight_smile: :stuck_out_tongue:

Hmm… it still tells me I have 4GB. I suppose I have to change the USB setting to see the card. And I found my files, which averted a crying fit.

Thank you, Conversionbox! And I don’t know why you’re up at 3 am (EST) [wait, I’m not sure why * I * am up!] but I am glad you are. Thanks again!

Im up at 3 am because I worked nights for the past year, I cant go to bed, til after 5 am

chc94 wrote:

I would advise against using the Auto-Defect setting and manually choosing either MTP or MSC mode. When set in Auto, it will connect in MTP, if possible but if not it will connect in MSC.

Obviously, this can lead to some instense confusion and head-scratching. So avoiding the problem altogether by YOU selecting the USB mode is the best advice. That way you know what it is supposed to do and how it is supposed to work given the way you manage your player & the content you put on it. :wink:

Tapeworm - thanks for your advice! I set the USB setting myself and when I plugged it in, I saw (1) “internal memory” and (2) “external uSD card”. YIPPEE!

Now for my next question: I have one audiobook loaded on here. I am trying to add another. So I hooked the Fuze up to my computer, clicked and dragged from one window to the next. It worked for one book. The 2nd book shows on the computer, but it’s not on the Fuze. (When I have the Fuze hooked up, and I look at the “Audiobooks” folder, it shows 2 books. When I unhook the Fuze and look in the Audiobooks, I find that only one book is there.)

I have the book set up by discs (disc 1, disc 2…) on the Fuze. I wonder if this is part of the problem? Has anyone else had this issue?

I’m not sure what you do to rip them, but say you have an audiobook with 7 cds. Popular ones are on internet databases, so your ripping program can automatically fill in the ID3 tags and create unique filenames. An entire chapter in one file can be 01.mp3 or Chapter one title.mp3. If broken down into several tracks per chapter they might be Ch1a filename then Ch1b filename etc. Now I put them all in one folder with the book title as the name for the entire book cd 1 thru 7. I drag the entire folder into the audiobooks folder on my fuze’s internal memory. The fuze does not look for the filenames. It uses the ID3 tags, to identify the mp3s. You can use .m3u playlists to play the book and pause to shutdown as needed and when turned on will continue from the same place. Google or Wiki .m3u playlists to see how easy it is to create the playlist. I copy the playlist to the folder of the audiobook and the fuze finds it automatically. Works great, I have about 8 audiobooks on my fuze right now.

@sgthawker wrote:
I’m not sure what you do to rip them, but say you have an audiobook with 7 cds. Popular ones are on internet databases, so your ripping program can automatically fill in the ID3 tags and create unique filenames. An entire chapter in one file can be 01.mp3 or Chapter one title.mp3. If broken down into several tracks per chapter they might be Ch1a filename then Ch1b filename etc. Now I put them all in one folder with the book title as the name for the entire book cd 1 thru 7. I drag the entire folder into the audiobooks folder on my fuze’s internal memory. The fuze does not look for the filenames. It uses the ID3 tags, to identify the mp3s. You can use .m3u playlists to play the book and pause to shutdown as needed and when turned on will continue from the same place. Google or Wiki .m3u playlists to see how easy it is to create the playlist. I copy the playlist to the folder of the audiobook and the fuze finds it automatically. Works great, I have about 8 audiobooks on my fuze right now.

Hi Sgthawker! Thanks for your reply. When I rip the CDs, I create a folder on the hard drive called “Book Title - Author”. Then I create one subfolder for each disc. So If there are 7 discs, I have “Disc 1”, “Disc 2”, “Disc 3”, and so on. Then I just copy and paste the files into their proper folders.

When I put the audiobook on the Fuze, I hook it up, and then just go to the hard drive where the book is, and click & drag the folder “Book Title - Author” to the Audiobooks folder. So when I see the final result on the Fuze, it’s shown as “Book Title disc 1”, “Book Title disc 2” and so on down the line. BUT - I can click & drag more than one book; it shows up when the Fuze is attached to the computer. I unhook it and go to the Audiobooks folder, and there is only one there. Very frustrating.

I normally use Windows Media Player 11 to build my music library. I don’t use it for the audiobooks because the first couple times I tried it, I found that the database wouldn’t recognize them, and I couldn’t find them when I did a search.

I have had my ripping program create one folder for each disc, and number the file name as the tracks, i.e. 01.mp3 etc. That is for each disc. So seven 01.mp3 can be confusing, but, the Fuze saw “book title - disc1” in the audiobook section thru "…disc7. I thought that was harder to start each disc separately for each audiobook. So I went to the disc 2 folder on my PC and renamed the filenames starting with the next # disc 1 ended with. So the complete book file name series is 01.mp3 to 143.mp3 for example. I moved them all to one folder “book title”. I created a playlist of this folder sequentially to play the entire book. Then I copied this folder to the Fuze and in one listing in the audiobook section it plays the whole book. Each time I pause and power down, the Fuze sees where I left off. Even if I change to play music for a while, I see what filename/track the book was on, then play music. Next time I want to hear the book I go to the audiobook section and pick that same filename/track and the Fuze asks me if I want to resume or restart that filename/track. Some books I have created over 300 files from the CDs.

You can even edit the ID3 tags in windows explorer, select all mp3 files in the folder, right click and select properties, then choose the summary tab, click the advanced button and there are the blocks for the tag, choose genre and change it to audiobook, and all the mp3 files are edited to the correct genre even if WiMP 11 or your ripping program used the internet and got poor or no info for the books genre. You can go further and individually edit these blocks to the appropriate chapter name for each file if you like, so it displays on the Fuze. The separate block under the ID3 tag for “title” is the title for the individual file, the “album title” is for the whole book. You can edit title for the mp3, but don’t have to. Some are poorly separated on the original CD and harder to lable separately for chapter info, but you can put Ch1a etc. as listed in my previous post for the title. After selecting all, you can be sure to edit the album title and artist correctly, some of them were different off the internet for different spellings etc., so editing them all at once you know they are correct. Group corrections can be done for artist, album title, year, genre, and comments if you like. 

The Fuze does not see your folder structure, so if the album title/artist is different for each separate disc in the ID3 tags, it sees it as a different album and gives different listings. Giving all files the same album title/artist info on the ID3 tag, allows one listing for easier selection and playing of each book.

Hope you can use this info to make it easier to listen to your books!

@chc94 wrote:

Might want to check again.  I just put my first microsd/hc card in today and thought the same thing.  After a little tinkering and thinkering - I found that the player lists the internal memory - and the micro sd card separately.  Scroll down a bit on your info screen - and you should see the memory available and and amount on the card - a few lines down.

I think that’s what my boyfriend did with one of my books - made a list of all the files so it was track 01.mp3 to track 170.mp3. I don’t have that kind of patience.

I found something else that was interesting that I think may have something to do with not being able to transfer them. When I clicked / dragged, the files were .cda. Do they HAVE to be .mp3? And I suppose the only way to fix it would be to burn CDs, and then re-rip them.

I’m working on another audio book right now, and I’m making sure to rip it as MP3 - so we’ll see what transpires. What is the ID3 tag and where can I find it? Is it in the “summary” section when I right-click a filename?

Thanks for your advice!

Sgthawker (or anyone else who knows the answer to this):

I’m ripping tracks and getting error messages. Instead of “ripped to library” it says “error”. What ripping program do you use, since you don’t use WMP?

@chc94 wrote:

Sgthawker (or anyone else who knows the answer to this):

I’m ripping tracks and getting error messages. Instead of “ripped to library” it says “error”. What ripping program do you use, since you don’t use WMP?

Exact Audio Copy works well for a Windows PC

I use Nero to rip. The file extension .cda is for CD Audio, it is the original format on an actual music CD. They are large files, ripping to a computer in part is to use a conversion process that tries to keep original audio in a compressed or smaller format. A .mp3 is the commonly used format, but there are others you can use, although for an audiobook, mp3 is fine.

The ID3 tag is data hidden in the mp3 file that has info for the track, album, artist, genre, and others including album artwork (the picture on the outside of the CD). Windows explorer can see it as well as specific programs. Most ripping programs, some players, and specific tagging programs are out there. Some are automatically going to use info off the internet and create them after you have selected the files you want tagged. In explorer: right click -> properties -> click the Summary tab -> and click on advanced if needed to see most of the fields. You can edit them here, except in Windows XP x64, it can’t see or edit the tags. I don’t know about Vista’s capability.

Message Edited by Sgthawker on 02-03-2009 09:19 AM

I use mergeMp3 to merge all the individual mp3 tracks into a single mp3.  It is free, fast, and easy (I found it, it isn’t my creation).

Advantages to this are:

-a single file to manage (copying, ID tags, etc)

-no need to set the ID tags for CD and track correct.

-if I want album art, there is just one copy of it, and I can put it right in the mp3.

-**while listening, there is only ONE file…so if I pause and go listen to music and come back, I just go to the one file.  With separate tracks, I had to remember/hunt for the specific track I was listening.

-while listening, I get a better gauge of progress (5 hrs into it, 4 hrs left).

I still use CDex to rip the individual CDs, getting tracks by CD; then I run mergeMp3 on them.