Reply
Newbie
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎01-06-2009
Accepted Solution

Accessing micro SD card

I have an 8-gig Fuze and 2-gig micro SD card (from SanDisk). I can place files on the card just fine, but how do I selectively play the files (songs, pictures, whatever) from the card, rather than internal memory?
SanDisk Guru
Posts: 3,676
Registered: ‎12-04-2008

Re: Accessing micro SD card

Ok. Well When you look at your songs list there are little icons that look like an SD card; thise are the ones on the SD card. If you want to play only songs on the SD card, I would suggest deleting eveything off of your SD card, and then using windows media player , winamp, media monkey, or any other program that creates playlists, to make a playlist for your card, and then syncing the playlist to your Card.  IS that what you meant?

Conversion Box
Did you notice this forum has a search function? Its not impossible to figure that someone else asked your question before you did, and we have answered it(probably multiple times). Check it out! Or Check out the Knowledge Base

Newbie
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎01-06-2009

Re: Accessing micro SD card

I do listen to songs on my Fuze, but mostly I use to carry pictures in a portable way (I am a fairly serious amateur photographer). My intent is to have a selection of interchangeable micro SD cards that I can swap at any time. My question is, how do I operate the menu on the Fuze to go to the card? Is there a place where I can select internal memory OR card and then the particular folder? Do I have to place the files on a particular folder of the SD card when the Fuze is connected to the computer?
SanDisk Guru
Posts: 3,676
Registered: ‎12-04-2008

Re: Accessing micro SD card

No... There is not Folder based navigation on the Fuze which is to the best of my understanding what you are asking for. HOWEVER when you go to the pictures menu you should see the same little Icon that you see on songs. You can navigate based on that.

Conversion Box
Did you notice this forum has a search function? Its not impossible to figure that someone else asked your question before you did, and we have answered it(probably multiple times). Check it out! Or Check out the Knowledge Base

Newbie
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎01-06-2009

Re: Accessing micro SD card

I think I got it, THANK YOU.

 

To confirm:

 

1. With the card in the Sansa and the Sansa connected to the computer, files are placed in the folder

Sansa Fuze 8GB\External uSD Card\MSC

 

2. Files placed in there can be in sub-folders, BUT THOSE FOLDERS CAN'T BE RENAMED (the new name does not take when you look at them in your Sansa.

 

3. The picture files are found under the regular place for Photos, with no indication that they physically reside on the card, rather than the internal memory.

 

Also, I tried resizing high-resolution pictures to a fairly small size and these display fine in the Sansa, without using the media converter application.

 

Does this sound about right?

 

Thank you!

SanDisk Guru
Posts: 3,676
Registered: ‎12-04-2008

Re: Accessing micro SD card

[ Edited ]
Good Job... It takes some people weeks to get where you are right now. One small thing... you can rename the sub folders but it wont matter because they are not used for navigation
Message Edited by Conversionbox on 01-07-2009 02:11 AM

Conversion Box
Did you notice this forum has a search function? Its not impossible to figure that someone else asked your question before you did, and we have answered it(probably multiple times). Check it out! Or Check out the Knowledge Base

Highlighted
Newbie
Posts: 9
Registered: ‎01-27-2009

Re: Accessing micro SD card

My 4GB Fuze is making me want to blow a fuse. I bought a 2GB micro SD card, and when I insert it, it only does something if I push it all the way in; I get the little "Refreshing your media" screen. Normally, though, part of it sticks out. Is that how it's supposed to fit? Do I have to format it before I use it? If so, how do I do this?

 

Tonight I updated my firmware. Now, when I hook it up to the computer, I get my little Sansa icon, but when I click on the folders, instead of showing me the contents, they are all empty. But there are all still on my player.

 

I'm very confused.

SanDisk Guru
Posts: 3,676
Registered: ‎12-04-2008

Re: Accessing micro SD card


@chc94 wrote:

My 4GB Fuze is making me want to blow a fuse. I bought a 2GB micro SD card, and when I insert it, it only does something if I push it all the way in; I get the little "Refreshing your media" screen. Normally, though, part of it sticks out. Is that how it's supposed to fit? Do I have to format it before I use it? If so, how do I do this?

 

Tonight I updated my firmware. Now, when I hook it up to the computer, I get my little Sansa icon, but when I click on the folders, instead of showing me the contents, they are all empty. But there are all still on my player.

 

I'm very confused.


No Part of the card should stick out. You have to push it all the way in so that the side is smooth. If you slide it all the way in so none of it sticks out you shoud get that refreshing your media screen while the fuze rebuilds your database. This is all normal. When you connect the Fuze to update the Firmware, it puts the fuze into MSC mode. Your Fuze has 2 USB modes, MSC and MTP. If you add music in one you cant see it in the other. So unhook and go to settings> system settings> Usb Mode> MTP, then plug it in, and check for your files. This too is normal.


Conversion Box
Did you notice this forum has a search function? Its not impossible to figure that someone else asked your question before you did, and we have answered it(probably multiple times). Check it out! Or Check out the Knowledge Base

Newbie
Posts: 9
Registered: ‎01-27-2009

Re: Accessing micro SD card


@Conversionbox wrote:

@chc94 wrote:

My 4GB Fuze is making me want to blow a fuse. I bought a 2GB micro SD card, and when I insert it, it only does something if I push it all the way in; I get the little "Refreshing your media" screen. Normally, though, part of it sticks out. Is that how it's supposed to fit? Do I have to format it before I use it? If so, how do I do this?

 

Tonight I updated my firmware. Now, when I hook it up to the computer, I get my little Sansa icon, but when I click on the folders, instead of showing me the contents, they are all empty. But there are all still on my player.

 

I'm very confused.


No Part of the card should stick out. You have to push it all the way in so that the side is smooth. If you slide it all the way in so none of it sticks out you shoud get that refreshing your media screen while the fuze rebuilds your database. This is all normal. When you connect the Fuze to update the Firmware, it puts the fuze into MSC mode. Your Fuze has 2 USB modes, MSC and MTP. If you add music in one you cant see it in the other. So unhook and go to settings> system settings> Usb Mode> MTP, then plug it in, and check for your files. This too is normal.


 

OK. I just fiddled with the micro SD card; it went click-click and now it doesn't stick out! Yay! I set the USB mode to Auto so hopefully it will do what it needs to do on its own. I have to look now at My Computer and see if it registered the card as a drive or not. (all this so I can have a little audiobook library & more tunes - ::shaking head:Smiley Happy Smiley Tongue

 

Hmm... it still tells me I have 4GB. I suppose I have to change the USB setting to see the card. And I found my files, which averted a crying fit.

 

Thank you, Conversionbox! And I don't know why you're up at 3 am (EST) [wait, I'm not sure why * I * am up!] but I am glad you are. Thanks again!

 

I'm sure I will be back with more questions.

SanDisk Guru
Posts: 3,676
Registered: ‎12-04-2008

Re: Accessing micro SD card


@chc94 wrote:

@Conversionbox wrote:

@chc94 wrote:

My 4GB Fuze is making me want to blow a fuse. I bought a 2GB micro SD card, and when I insert it, it only does something if I push it all the way in; I get the little "Refreshing your media" screen. Normally, though, part of it sticks out. Is that how it's supposed to fit? Do I have to format it before I use it? If so, how do I do this?

 

Tonight I updated my firmware. Now, when I hook it up to the computer, I get my little Sansa icon, but when I click on the folders, instead of showing me the contents, they are all empty. But there are all still on my player.

 

I'm very confused.


No Part of the card should stick out. You have to push it all the way in so that the side is smooth. If you slide it all the way in so none of it sticks out you shoud get that refreshing your media screen while the fuze rebuilds your database. This is all normal. When you connect the Fuze to update the Firmware, it puts the fuze into MSC mode. Your Fuze has 2 USB modes, MSC and MTP. If you add music in one you cant see it in the other. So unhook and go to settings> system settings> Usb Mode> MTP, then plug it in, and check for your files. This too is normal.


 

OK. I just fiddled with the micro SD card; it went click-click and now it doesn't stick out! Yay! I set the USB mode to Auto so hopefully it will do what it needs to do on its own. I have to look now at My Computer and see if it registered the card as a drive or not. (all this so I can have a little audiobook library & more tunes - ::shaking head:Smiley Happy Smiley Tongue

 

Hmm... it still tells me I have 4GB. I suppose I have to change the USB setting to see the card. And I found my files, which averted a crying fit.

 

Thank you, Conversionbox! And I don't know why you're up at 3 am (EST) [wait, I'm not sure why * I * am up!] but I am glad you are. Thanks again!

 

I'm sure I will be back with more questions.


Im up at 3 am because I worked nights for the past year, I cant go to bed, til after 5 am


Conversion Box
Did you notice this forum has a search function? Its not impossible to figure that someone else asked your question before you did, and we have answered it(probably multiple times). Check it out! Or Check out the Knowledge Base