A Newbie to this board with 2 questions

Hi everyone, I just found this forum, thankfully, and am a new Sansa Fuse user.  I have 2 questions that I haven’t been able to find answers in the User Manual or the the FAQ so I hope someone can help me here.

1.  How do you tell when charging is complete?  Will the blinking battery stop blinking and the yellow symbol disappear?

2.  Is it possible to load audio WAV files that are in my download folder from a show on the computer to the Fuse?  It seems that you have to rip songs from a commercial CD to be able to load onto the Fuse.  Is this correct?

Thanks for any help you can give me.  

Welcome to the Sansa forums!

The charge indicator will “roll” and you’ll see a wee lightning bolt while sharging.  Once done, the bolt disappears, and the battery will be solid yellow.

The Sansa will play wav files, but it may be picky about the format…I’d convert them to MP3 to save space.  There are many applications out there and many are free.  Once a file is converted to MP3, part of the file format is the built-in ID3 tag.  We like to use MP3Tag , a free utility, to edit the tag data.  The Sansa locates the files based upon the data entered in the tags.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Thank you for the welcome and the info, Bob.  I think I can handle converting to MP3 but I don’t understand the ID3 or MP3Tag stuff.  Your talking to a technology- and technically-challenged woman here LOL.  Can I find more details in the manual or in the FAQ forum so I don’t have to bother you or anyone here in trying to explain to me?  Thanks.

BTW, can you tell by my signon who’s music I’m a big fan of?:wink:

@bossfan wrote:

Thank you for the welcome and the info, Bob.  I think I can handle converting to MP3 but I don’t understand the ID3 or MP3Tag stuff.  Your talking to a technology- and technically-challenged woman here LOL.  Can I find more details in the manual or in the FAQ forum so I don’t have to bother you or anyone here in trying to explain to me?  Thanks.

Well, since you asked so nicely . . .

FAQ on ID3 tags & MP3TAG

@bossfan wrote:

???

ROTFLMAO - Actually, I used to watch that show with my son when he was a young boy and got quite a few laughs from that guy.  But, I don’t think he can sing or put on the best live show than BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN.:wink:

Thanks for the link, Tapeworm.  I have to share the PC with the hubby and he’s been antsy waiting for me to get off the computer, so I’ll check it out tomorrow.

Media Coder, at this link:

is a good free converter for your .wav files. 

However, since they are .wav files, they don’t have any tags. I hope they have consistent filenames, like 01-Springsteen-Wrecking Ball.wav, 02-Springsteen-Badlands.wav, etc.

You are going to have to add tags.  with mp3tag. Have Media Coder save each show in its own folder when it’s converted.

Change the defaults in mp3tag to ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1 as explained in the FAQ, a one-time change you’ll never have to think about again.

Then open the folder (of mp3s) with mp3tag. It has a function, under Convert, that will Convert Filename to Tag. For filenames like those above, you’d choose %track%-%artist%-%title% . You get the idea–the tag is found by what’s between the % signs, and the other stuff, like the punctuation - that doesn’t go into the tags goes outside the % signs. It previews how it will make the tags, so you can adjust (for instance, there might be spaces around the - ).

If your filenames aren’t so consistent, you can still automate a lot of things. Highlight all the files, fill in the Artist and Album fields on the right, Save, and they’re all tagged with the same Artist. List them in order top to bottom, look under Tools for Auto-Numbering Wizard, choose the Leading Zeros option  (Sansa likes that one), run it, and bingo, you’ve got your tracks numbered. The only problem with less than consistent filenames is that you’d have to do titles by hand–but I hope whoever recorded the concerts was well organized. 

Don’t worry, it’s actually easier than the explanation. 

Black-Rectangle, thank you for the additional info, much appreciated.  I may have trouble with the filenames.  If they have to have “Springsteen” and the name of the song in the file name, it won’t work.  The file names are determined by the uploader and they are consistent as they named each one, but don’t have Bruce’s name or the tracks name.  They usually have date of show and the tracks are usually done as “d1.01”, “d1.02” or something like that but consistent in that naming process for each track by the uploader.  So, it may not work.

I have to take our PC to be fixed today because after the initial fix there are still a couple of things not working correctly - so I’m not going to be able to try this until I get the computer back.  I’ll let you all know how it all works out when I get the PC back and can actually do what you all have explained to me.

Have a nice day and I’ll talk to you in the next few days.

Thanks again.

Oops, I missed the part in your post about renaming the files.  So that will fix the problem. 

@tapeworm wrote:

@bossfan wrote:

Well, since you asked so nicely . . .

FAQ on ID3 tags & MP3TAG

@bossfan wrote:

???

I cough when I laugh at the minute and you just caused me to sound like a demented seal lol

With d1.01, d1.02, etc. they should still list in the right order, so you could still use Auto Numbering. 

You can’t show Boss Hog without his trusty sidekick Flash!

@summerlove wrote:

???

I cough when I laugh at the minute and you just caused me to sound like a demented seal lol

Ahhh . . . like the opening of the Back Sabbath song, Sweet Leaf?

:stuck_out_tongue:

@summerlove wrote:

???

Ahhh . . . like the opening of the Black Sabbath song, Sweet Leaf?

Go ahead Ozzy, take another bong hit! :stuck_out_tongue: