A Few Questions About The Fuze...

1. When is the next firmware update?

2. Can you make a video playlist?

3. Will the Fuze take a 32GB MicroSDHC memory card? and when Does the card come out to the market? 

4. Does anybody have expirience with  a 16GB MicroSDHC? if you do, can you please give your opinion about its work with the Fuze?

5. My V1 8GB Fuze has an annoying problem with the audio-video sync. is there a way to solve it? if not, Sansa crew- Please fix this in the next Firmware update!! (all my videos are transfered to the Fuze via Sansa media converter latest version).

sorry about my english, and thanks!

Message Edited by eladstoller13 on 04-26-2009 07:08 AM

Wow, your questions encompass a few areas, but let’s have a go at it.

The next firmware release date is dependent upon many factors, findings, the input from the field (all of us here), production variations and tolerances, bug reports, cool things found working with the code, sorting out glitches in simulation versus each revision, running various audio formats through their paces and seeing how the Fuze performs…

Did I miss anything?  Ah yes, interoffice memos, meeting schedules, rumors about the water cooler (a great source of ideas), endless e-mails, feedback from Support, nicely tabulated statistical reports showing the target areas for updating, the outside weather, where the basketball was left yesterday, all these factors affect the firmware release.

A video bookmark is handy, in addition to the current position / from beginning option, but I haven’t tried figuring a playlist into the picture.  It’s simple to select the videos in sequence, giving your eyes a wee break, I would think.

Yes, the µSDHC standard which is supported runs up to 32GB, but a firm release date depends upon many things I have no idea of, like the minutiae of production, or the crystal ball locked away in Marketing.

The best advice I can give regarding the large capacity 16GB cards is to load the latest firmware, after backing up your music and video, then format the Fuze using the resident Format command. (Settings > System Settings > Format > Yes)  This will allow your Fuze to build a new complete database framework for 8000 song capacity.  It only has to be done once.  Note, you MUST use the resident command on the Fuze itself, not Windows.

I have been actively playing (pardon the pun) with video formats and codecs in quest of the Holy Grail.  I have found no solutions from the Castle Anthrax or even via shrubberies procured for the Knights of Ni.  Yet the solution remains on the other side of the Pit of Eternal Peril, I am afraid.  The predominating problem with synchronization is a combination of the many different codecs available.  The errors I see are present before transfer to the device, often when using the same format as the SMC will build for the Sansa. The Rhapsody 4 client will also build video for the Fuze or the e200 series (v2) device, often with little sync error (under 200ms) but it’s painfully slow.

I love a challenge.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

@eladstoller13 wrote:

Does anybody have expirience with  a 16GB MicroSDHC? if you do, can you please give your opinion about its work with the Fuze?

My experience with my 16GB MicroSDHC was at first not good. About 4 weeks ago I had purchased a SanDisk 16GB MicroSDHC (before I used the fw upgrade) with no problems. When I upgraded to the recent fw, and inserted the MicroSDHC, my Fuze would freeze up during the media refresh stage (I had about 500 ogg audio files in the card). After reading recent posts about maybe the music files could be freezing up my Fuze I had to reformat the MicroSDHC using the windows format method (I also reformatted my Fuze using it’s utility and windows many times). After a few weeks of frustration, finally no freeze!! I’m now a happy camper. :smileyvery-happy:

Message Edited by fuze-shun on 04-26-2009 12:39 PM

Message Edited by fuze-shun on 04-26-2009 12:44 PM

@eladstoller13 wrote:

1. When is the next firmware update? One just came out 2 weeks ago, so probably 3 months ro so for the next one. No one knows for sure. Not even the firmware developers that work for SanDisk.

1. Can you make a video playlist? No.

1. Will the Fuze take a 32GB MicroSDHC memory card? Yes. When it comes out.

and when Does the card come out to the market? No one is saying, but I’m guessing 4th Qtr. (Christmas season) this year. That’s when they brought out the 16GB card last year.

1. Does anybody have expirience with a 16GB MicroSDHC? Yes.

if you do, can you please give your opinion about its work with the Fuze? It works fine.

1. My V1 8GB Fuze has an annoying problem with the audio-video sync. is there a way to solve it? Ususally, but it takes some playing around with different programs. No 2 video formats are  the same, so there is no one solution.

if not, Sansa crew- Please fix this in the next Firmware update!! (all my videos are transfered to the Fuze via Sansa media converter latest version).

sorry about my english, and thanks! What bad English?

Message Edited by eladstoller13 on 04-26-2009 07:08 AM

Thanks a lot! one more little thing for the 16GB MicroSDHC owners:

will the card work fine and fast if i will transfer like 8 gigs of songs  and 8 gigs of videos that i’ll constantley refresh? (wach, delete, load other videos)?

i am asking because i thought if i’l do something like that the “refresh database” will take a very long time… and if that happens, it will be very annoying…

If you change the contents of the card, or even just take it out and put it back in, it will do a database refresh.  Buying a higher class uSD card may help some, but I’m betting not much.

I personally don’t have a problem with this, I just make sure I disconnect and set the Fuze aside while I do something else, like check e-mail, reply to a post in a forum, whatever.  By the time I’m done, it is too.

thanks!

aprox. how long does this refresh database takes?

and how long does it takes if you just delete one video and load up another one? (Aprox. 700MB full length movie)

I’ve never paid attention to how long it takes.  Like I said, I just disconnect it and set it aside while I do something else, and it’s done when I am.  I’m guessing not more than 2 minutes.

Edit:  You’ve heard the old saw, “A watched pot never boils”?  Well, watching your database refresh won’t make it go any faster, and only annoys the watcher.

Message Edited by tenzip on 04-27-2009 11:49 AM

It depends on how much stuff is on the Fuze. I have a 8g Fuze with a 16G card with around 4950+ tracks. It takes about 4.5 minutes or so…But that is only after adding or deleting something…not like it does it everytime you turn it on.

Message Edited by bobletteross on 04-27-2009 09:52 AM