96kHz flac, 24 bit wave, 600kbps mp3, supported?

hey guys

i was fiddling around with various formats (ogg, mp3, flac) trying all on my Sansa Fuze V2, and what i realised was, that there wasnt proper documentation as for what are the various specifications of the Formats that my sansa can handle.

for example, i suppose that my fuze supports a max of 320kbps mp3 songs.but what about the information for other formats? what is the upper limit for ogg? what about the sample rate supported? i can see 44kHz and 48kHz mp3s playing. can flacs with more than 48kHz be played? i guess when u are supporting all the formats atleast proper documentation should be provided to the end user.or is it that even the 44kHz are downscaled or downgraded? is 24bit wav supported?

Sansa Gurus, please help…

24bit/96khz FLAC files are not supported. This fact is already at the heart of many other discussions here on the forum (albeit in different boards).

@psgarcha92 wrote:

hey guys

i was fiddling around with various formats (ogg, mp3, flac) trying all on my Sansa Fuze V2, and what i realised was, that there wasnt proper documentation as for what are the various specifications of the Formats that my sansa can handle.

for example, i suppose that my fuze supports a max of 320kbps mp3 songs.but what about the information for other formats? what is the upper limit for ogg? what about the sample rate supported? i can see 44kHz and 48kHz mp3s playing. can flacs with more than 48kHz be played? i guess when u are supporting all the formats atleast proper documentation should be provided to the end user.or is it that even the 44kHz are downscaled or downgraded? is 24bit wav supported?

Sansa Gurus, please help…

Anything above 48kHz doesn’t play AFAIK.  The hardware is physically capable of clocking the DAC up to 48kHz.  Figuring out what Vorbis files will play can be tricky.  The standard is notoriously vague on some points.  I suspect that very old (pre 1.0) vorbis files won’t play, but haven’t tried it.  600kbps mp3 is impossible.  I’m not sure about 24 bit wav, but probably, its nearly identical to 16 bit wav.  

FWIW you may be interested in Rockbox.  I worked on and in some cases wrote its decoders.  We support a lot more formats then the OF, and support a lot of things within each format the the Sandisk software does not (e.g. 96kHz FLAC files).

but i also read on the rockbox forums that 96khz is downscaled to 48khz…am i right? so there isnt a problem with resolution (as in 16bit or 24bit) but only in sample rate (the upper limit in fuze is 48kHz)…right?

@psgarcha92 wrote:

but i also read on the rockbox forums that 96khz is downscaled to 48khz…am i right? 

No, 44.1kHz actually.  As I said above, the hardware cannot actually clock the DAC at 96k, so anything that high must either be resampled or simply not played.

@psgarcha92 wrote:

so there isnt a problem with resolution (as in 16bit or 24bit) but only in sample rate (the upper limit in fuze is 48kHz)…right?

The entire software processing system runs at 32 bit precision, the hardware operates at 16 bit IIRC.  So you’ll get effects down accurately, and at the final stage its converted to 16 bit (optionally with dither).

QUIT FLOODING THE BOARD WITH YOUR SPAM!!!