2nd fuze & still can't transfer files to Fuze.

San Disk replaced my 1st Fuze which I was never able to satisfactorily communicate with. Tried updating software and got timeout messages when done on 3 different computers. 2nd fuze in hand has latest rev. out of the box. have tried on 5 different XP computers now. Can see the Fuze connected but when trying to transfer files it ultimately gives an error that the path is to deep.  Really think this may be a cable issue as San Disk only asked for the Fuze itself. I don’t have another

Fuze cable to try and we don’t have I-pods so the USB cable hasn’t been accidently swapped.  Very frustrating as I only can spend precious time on weekends chasing this prob. & San Disk doesn’t provide support then.

How are you transferring the files?  Are you syncing or dragging-and-dropping?

A simple test to see if it is the cable is to set the Fuze to MSC mode where it’ll be seen by the computer as a mass storage device and just take one folder ( one without any nesting folders) and drag-and-drop it into the fuze. If the cable is fine, it’ll copy over without any problems.

And if the fuze is charging normally when connected to your computer, then it’s a good sign that there’s good communication with your computer.  The fuze will stop charging if it can’t establish good communication with the computer.

To set your fuze to msc mode

From the sansa menu-

Scroll to Settings > System Settings > USB Mode > MSC (Ensure you click the MSC Option) > Then connect your fuze up:smileyvery-happy:

Your computer should see the Fuze as a mass storage device as mags1230 said 

Hope that helps!

“but when trying to transfer files it ultimately gives an error that the path is to deep” Are the songs on your pc deeply nested(ie folders in folders in folders,etc.)? It sounds like you should try to make your songs on your pc less deeply nested, or else copy and paste them to the player in a manner so that they will not be deeply nested.

The player won’t see songs that are too deeply nested. deeply nesting songs increses the size of each song’s path, which decreases the maximum number of songs the player can hold. Some have reported that their Fuze could only recognize less than 5,000 songs even though there was plenty of space left since their songs were deeply nested. Typically the Fuze can recognize up to around 8,000 songs if the space is available, and the songs aren’t deeply nested.

Some media players like Windows Media Player probably do sometimes nest files too deeply when syncing. That is another reason why it is better to drag and drop songs to the player rather than syncing.

@jk98 wrote:

“but when trying to transfer files it ultimately gives an error that the path is to deep” Are the songs on your pc deeply nested (ie folders in folders in folders,etc.)? It sounds like you should try to make your songs on your pc less deeply nested , or else copy and paste them to the player in a manner so that they will not be deeply nested.

The player won’t see songs that are too deeply nested. deeply nesting songs increses the size of each song’s path, which decreases the maximum number of songs the player can hold. Some have reported that their Fuze could only recognize less than 5,000 songs even though there was plenty of space left since their songs were deeply nested. Typically the Fuze can recognize up to around 8,000 songs if the space is available, and the songs aren’t deeply nested.

Some media players like Windows Media Player probably do sometimes nest files too deeply when syncing. That is another reason why it is better to drag and drop songs to the player rather than syncing.

What exactly are you trying to say here, JK?

Dont be so vague. :stuck_out_tongue:

JK98 wrote:

“but when trying to transfer files it ultimately gives an error that the path is to deep” Are the songs on your pc deeply nested (ie folders in folders in folders,etc.)? It sounds like you should try to make your songs on your pc less deeply nested , or else copy and paste them to the player in a manner so that they will not be deeply nested.

What exactly are you trying to say here, JK?

Dont be so vague.

whats nesting :stuck_out_tongue:

@azuresky wrote:
whats nesting :stuck_out_tongue:

A.)

B.)

C.)

Or D.) All of the above.

:smileyvery-happy:

whos gene simmons :stuck_out_tongue:

Seriously, if the folder is C:\Music\Albums\Classical\Beethoven\Piano\Solo\Sonatas\Alfred Brendel\Disc 5\Pathetique…

then it’s probably nested too deep.

San Disk wants me to send the replacement back because" it can’t be the usb cable since the device is recognized in explorer." Asked to go up the ladder and got a call back from a rep in RMA with the above response. I protested that unless they had upgraded firmware of the original and returned why wouldn’t you want to test the complete connection path. Was told

he would call and e-mail with a resolution which never occured. My state of agitation is enhanced by the fact I am unable to address these issue due to work Mom - Thur and San Disk doesn’t provide any support on weekends so I am wasting my valuble Friday doing trouble shooting.

Sorry for the rant but Best Buy had a cable on the shelf for the Fuze so I bit the bullet and bought the cable.

Eureka I can communicate and transfer files! Just got off the Sansa chat with no resolution to the cable for this week.

Congratulations on getting it working. It’s bizarre that you’ve had the same problem with two units, though–or was it the same cable with both?

It is also odd for the Fuze to be recognized but not able to transfer files–the cable is usually an all-or-nothing situation–but I guess there are exceptions to everything.

Amazon, eBay and cell-phone accessories sellers  have generic replacement cables for about $5. It’s also  the same cable as the Sansa E200 series. I have a spare for traveling.

you can get these cables so cheap its not even really worth trying to get sandisk to send you another, check ebay and amazon, I have grabbed then for as little as $1.20 shipped b4.

“whos gene simmons

“Simmons was actually born Chaim Witz in Haifa, Israel in August, 1949 of Hungarian background and moved to New York as a young child.”

“When Simmons’ came to America, his name was changed from Chaim Witz to Gene Klein. He later decided to use “Gene Simmons” for professional purposes”

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005430/bio