16GB microsdhc formatting

Hi all!

I am having a problem with a Sandisk 16GB microsdhc class 6 in my Fuze (8GB).  I have a Sandisk 8GB microSDHC card which works fine and I recently upgraded to the 16GB microSDHC card.

The Fuze and my computer both recognise the card as 16GB.  When I copy wma files to the music folder/directory on the Fuze, all files are fine, playable and added to the database up to 1.92GB.  After the Fuze does the database refresh, the additional songs are garbled with the folders/directories or song titles displaying garbled characters (using Fuze folder and computer explorer).  When accessing from the computer, I cannot delete.

I have tried formatting with the windows XP formatter (FAT32), a panasonic formatter, an HP formatter using th Fuze.  I have also used the format function on the Fuze.  All appraoches appear to work fine from the computer.  When I add the songs, they look good from the computer.  When I disconnect the Fuze and it does its refresh database, the first 1.92GB are added and the remaining garbled and unusable.

As a guess, It looks to me as though the Fuze is seeing the card as an SD card with a 2GB limitation rather than an SDHC card.  

Has anyone run across this problem?

Is there a solution for this?  How can I format the 16microSDHC card so that the Fuze will use it correctly?

Any suggestions? 

(Note that I have tried formatting the card in the Fuze and in an HP netbook which supports the 16GB microSDHC format with the same result.) 

That is an odd one . . . is the card is a genuine SanDisk brand? Is there any chance that it’a a counterfeit? As your 8GB card works without incident, I would be suspect of that 16. Maybe it’s just a bad card. Rare, but it happens.

Yeah there are many many counterfeit cards out there.  Where did you get it from?  Can you return it? 

My cards work with no problems.

I bought the card on eBay.  It is labelled as a Sandisk 16GB SDHC, but it could be either counterfeit or just faulty.

I thought that it may have something to do with the formatting.  When I copy files to it, it is perfect up to 1.92GB (FAT16 limit) .  The next directory is corrupted, but after that the directories appear good.  Even though it indicates FAT32, I have reformatted as FAT32 with no change. 

If it isn’t a formatting problem, then if the Fuze would read past the bad directory as the computer does, the card could be usable for around 14GB.  

How many songs are on your internal memory, and the card? I wonder if perhaps the problem is not with the card itself, but maybe you’ve hit the limits of the Fuze’s database capability, which if I recall right is 8000 songs.

Avalon wrote:

If it isn’t a formatting problem, then if the Fuze would read past the bad directory as the computer does, the card could be usable for around 14GB.

FYI . . . A totally blank 16GB card is only going to yield 14.8GB of free space.

Avalon, unfortunately, judging by your description you bought a 2 Gb memory card with its firmware hashed to show 16Gb. It would show up in the computer as 16Gb.  The common chinese trick used with USB sticks as well - they can “update” sticks to 128Gb…  I’d been trying to fight those fakers on the ebay but they carry on regardless and ebay REALLY DON’T CARE because it generates them lots of revenue year in year out.

I don’t think it is faulty - it is just used the real capacity it has - everything above 2Gb is just names of the files with no real files attached. I know some people who lost their holiday pictures that way.

Message Edited by Etoja on 02-19-2010 02:21 PM

formatting does not delete data, it just erases it from the directory. look it up in the sandisk forums

Avalon wrote:

I am having a problem with a Sandisk 16GB microsdhc class 6 in my Fuze (8GB).

This might be a clue. I don’t believe SanDisk manufactures a Class 6 16GB card. The only class larger than a 2 that I’ve seen is from other sources.

@tapeworm wrote:

@avalon wrote:

I am having a problem with a Sandisk 16GB microsdhc class 6 in my Fuze (8GB).

This might be a clue. I don’t believe SanDisk manufactures a Class 6 16GB card. The only class larger than a 2 that I’ve seen is from other sources.

Ooh good catch!

Etoja that’s what we were thinking.  Ebay are always a little slow on things like this, and I agree with your reasoning for it. I never buy cards from ebay because of it.

summerlove wrote:

Etoja that’s what we were thinking.  Ebay are always a little slow on things like this, and I agree with your reasoning for it. I never buy cards from ebay because of it.

Oops . . . too late! I just received a 16GB card that I bought on eBay. This wasn’t the dealer I ususally get memory cards from, but had a 100% positive feedback record and was in the States, so I risked it.

After this thread though, I got to thinking and and soon I got it, I started loadiing it up just to make sure I wouldn’t have the same problem as Avalon. Well, I’m happy to report that I’m up to 4GBs so far and all is well. They display perfectly in Windows Esplorer on the computer, as well as my Clip+ seeing and playing all without a hitch. I cycled through a good portion of the added files for a few seconds each just to make sure.

Actually, the majority of cards that I own (more than 10) was purchased from eBay, and I’ve yet to have any problems whatsoever. Guess you gotta be careful who you’re buying from. :wink:

@tapeworm wrote:

@summerlove wrote:

Oops . . . too late! I just received a 16GB card that I bought on eBay. This wasn’t the dealer I ususally get memory cards from, but had a 100% positive feedback record and was in the States, so I risked it.

After this thread though, I got to thinking and and soon I got it, I started loadiing it up just to make sure I wouldn’t have the same problem as Avalon. Well, I’m happy to report that I’m up to 4GBs so far and all is well. They display perfectly in Windows Esplorer on the computer, as well as my Clip+ seeing and playing all without a hitch. I cycled through a good portion of the added files for a few seconds each just to make sure.

Actually, the majority of cards that I own (more than 10) was purchased from eBay, and I’ve yet to have any problems whatsoever. Guess you gotta be careful who you’re buying from. :wink:

I can’t remember ever buying a card from ebay (mainly for the fake card reason), but I have been burned a few times on other things over the years.  I’m careful to the point of ridiculous unless I REALLY cannot find something and I decide I REALLY need it so take a risk.  Ebay love me though so they’re always great whenever something goes wrong.

@tapeworm wrote:

Glad to hear that your card is good!

I will have to be more careful using eBay.  I bought an 8GB microSDHC card before with no problems.  This one is definitely a 2GB card which is of no use to me.  I did buy from a seller with over 99% positive comments.  I guess that could be easily faked as well.

Guess I’ll have to give up on this card and buy local or from a more reputable source.

Thanks for all the input…lots of great info. 

Avalon wrote:

I will have to be more careful using eBay.  I bought an 8GB microSDHC card before with no problems.  This one is definitely a 2GB card which is of no use to me.  I did buy from a seller with over 99% positive comments.  I guess that could be easily faked as well.

Guess I’ll have to give up on this card and buy local or from a more reputable source.

Contact the seller and explain the problem. Don’t be accusatory; he may not know he’s selling counterfeit cards. He could be a victim just as you are. If so, he would welcome the feedback so he can go back to his dealer and fix the problem before his eBay Rep is flushed down the bowl. I guarantee if you got a bogus card, you’re not the only one.

Avalon wrote:
Guess I'll have to give up on this card and buy local or from a more reputable source.

Contact the seller and explain the problem. Don't be accusatory; he may not know he's selling counterfeit cards. He could be a victim just as you are. If so, he would welcome the feedback so he can go back to his dealer and fix the problem before his eBay Rep is flushed down the bowl. I guarantee if you got a bogus card, you're not the only one.

It’s only common courtesty to give an eBay seller a chance to solve or correct a problem with anything they’ve sold. If they don’t, then you can file a complaint with eBay for them to resolve the issue with the seller. In most cases, they side with the buyer and you get your money back.

Excellent points!!

I’ll do that.  You are right, the seller may not be aware of the problem.