weird playlist problem

hey all,

So i’ve had a Clip since the beginning of the fabulous little device.   But I’ve only really ever used it for audiobooks and podcasts so I’m a playlist noob by all accounts.

I made some playlists with winamp everything seems fine, the songs are there I can access all the playlists.

But after listening to a full playlist (no problems) I went to chose another playlist.  As soon as the song from the new 2nd playlist finishes the Clip goes back to the 1st playlist.  I can get it to reproduce this behavior for any playlist.  I can choose any song from any playlist and as soon as it’s done it goes back to the first playlist instead of continuing on.  I can’t get it to go through a full new playlist…it always wants to go back to the original first one I played.

anyone know what’s up?  :help:

if i am not mistaken winamp creates m3u playlists and there is a certain way you have to put them on the device for them to work properly. i have seen posts on here before explaining how to use m3u playlists so if you want to go that route search for m3u playlist and you should be able to find the posts.  sorry but i dont use winamp. windows media player works best for me so i would suggest using it to create playlists.

Message Edited by drlucky on 03-31-2009 04:24 PM

There is a very simple way to make playlists for the clip without Winamp or WMP or anything. It works perfectly if you’reusing Vista. Just select the songs you want, right click and choose “Make a playlist”. You can then move the songs around or do what you like with them, drag and drop more files and finally, name the file and save it.   Just put it in your PL folder. I tried using Winamp too and it was more trouble than it was worth. This way is easier and works every time.

@randomprecision wrote:
There is a very simple way to make playlists for the clip without Winamp or WMP or anything. It works perfectly if you’reusing Vista. Just select the songs you want, right click and choose “Make a playlist”. You can then move the songs around or do what you like with them, drag and drop more files and finally, name the file and save it.   Just put it in your PL folder. I tried using Winamp too and it was more trouble than it was worth. This way is easier and works every time.

This is a feature of WMP’s integration with the Explorer shell.  WMP10 or higher and MTP mode are required.

Yes you are definitely right the integrated shell stuff in Vista is incredibly simple and works fab.  Thanks for that tip.

It looks like the winamp m3u probs come from absolute filenaming and the device currently chokes on it.  

I’ve no problem using the integrated shell stuff tho it’s too easy  :slight_smile:

thanks all!

The Visat stuff may work well if you have Vista and if you’re ok managing your MP3 directly as files.

But the problem described at the top remains, that the second Winamp-generated playlist can’t go past its first element. So while this might be “resolved” from the perspective of poster Belowseros I believe it remains an open issue for the rest of us. Any help on resolving this in the context of m3u is appreciated.

I was having a heck of a problem getting the playlists to work until I saw your post and since I use Vista, I tried it and it worked perfectly and it was a heck of a lot easier than bringing WMP or WinAmp into the picture.  As a further step, since I run XP on a netbook, I tried it on there and it worked exactly like it did using VISTA, with no problem.  I’m not sure why anyone running some windows OS with at least XP couldn’t run this without problem.  I can’t speak for Mac’s.

Thanks for the solution, at least for me.