washed SanDisk in washing machine

I accidentally washed my son’s SanDisk in the washing machine.  Does anyone know how to remove the back from it so I can try and dry it out?

just leave it alone for a week before trying to turn it on. I dropped my phone in a 6ft pool and it turned on fine (after leaving it alone for a week), I did end up taking the battery out to help it dry… cant exactly do that with a sansa clip though.

Message Edited by Enigma on 02-04-2008 02:44 PM

1 Like

What you need to do depends on whats inside the clip now, and I probably don’t have a good answer.  You need to rinse it out.  Use distilled water if you can.  Pins are really close to each other and dried up detergent will make them unhappy.  Most electronics can safely be washed with clean water. I’m not so sure about that OLED display, though.

Spin it somehow to get anything in it, out.  Swing it around outside. Then emerse a while it in distilled water and spin it again.  Tilt is so bubbles come out (indicating water going in). It’s the principle of multiple extractions to get it cleanest with the least amount of water.  Shake it when it has clean water in it. Get as much out as possible each time.  You may never get it clean.  Give a final really good spin.

If you have an air compressor, blow it out with that.  Blow air in the switches, blow out the connectors.  Force air in every hole and crack.  Soak in clean water.  Repeat several times.  Don’t use too high a pressure and do more damage.

Dry it in a warm place.  I would look for a hundred degrees F or so.  Maybe place it on my home heater’s case to get it nice and toastey, but not to hot to handle.  That’s probably a good rule of thumb - not to hot to handle. Blow more air through it periodically. Get it good and dry before trying to turn it on.

I would attempt to disassemble it only as a last resort. And expect to be gluing it back together. I’d do the same thing if I took it apart: wash it down real well with distilled water.  Be static safe if you have to handle the insides.  Maybe a final rinse with everclear.

Robert

I too left my Sansa clip in a pocket and washed it in the washing machine. I realized the error while putting the clothes into the dryer. 

I figured it was a goner,so what could I lose by trying. I popped open the case with a teensy computer screwdriver and used a hair dryer on it for several minutes, intermittently, so heat wouldn’t get too intense.  I did this until the visible condensation under the LED was gone. I let it dry overnight and snapped it back together in the morning.  It wouldn’t come on, but when I plugged in the charger it came back on right away – to the piece I was listening to before I put it in my pocket.

Now, from reading these other posts, I see I could have waited a while and not risked breaking it into little pieces.  On the other hand this way I won’t miss my favorite podcasts. But I was lucky I didn’t make matters worse. My eyes aren’t very good and the two switches need to be properly oriented and seated.

Should it be washed on the regular or delicate cycle of the machine?  And should the water settings be cold, warm or hot?:wink:

@jimdq wrote:

Now, from reading these other posts, I see I could have waited a while and not risked breaking it into little pieces.  On the other hand this way I won’t miss my favorite podcasts. But I was lucky I didn’t make matters worse. My eyes aren’t very good and the two switches need to be properly oriented and seated.

For having poor vision, you used an awfully small font for this post! I had to get out my magnifying glass. :stuck_out_tongue:

… after a warm wash in the washing machine with extra rinse, my Clip was very sad indeed. A few hours left out to dry on the washing line (yes!), I tentatively switched it on. LIFE!! … but then disappointment as the screen rendered garbage (quite entertaining!), and the battery wouldn’t hold a charge. So, I left it for a day, pondering the idea of hacking it open, which seemed ugly as it would wreck what is a nice aesthetic. A day later, I switched it on - nothing, though it would power up only if connected to a USB charger or computer port. After an overnight charge I was presented with a fully working Clip! I’m impressed that the damp electronics and tiny lithium battery didn’t melt into some ugly and unrecoverable mess when switched on.

Two months later and the Clip is running fine - battery seems in good nick. It’s not something I’m willing to go through again. One upside is that the earbud covers came out of the wash pristine :slight_smile:

Message Edited by alexq on 10-19-2009 09:16 AM

The best protocol I’ve seen is:  rinse the player out with distilled water, to get rid of any contaminants inside; shake any excess water out; and then leave the player in a warm area to dry out, for multiple days, at least 2-3–and do not turn it on in the meanwhile.   Some people also will put the player in a bowl of rice to dry out–the rice will absorb moisture.

The best protocol I’ve seen is: 

1.  rinse the player out with distilled water, to get rid of any contaminants inside;

2.  shake the water out, as much as you can (some will use compressed air to help with this);

3.  and then leave the player in a warm area to dry out, for multiple days, at least 2-3–and do not turn it on in the meanwhile.   Some people also will put the player in a bowl of rice to dry out–the rice will absorb moisture.

Importantly, as noted above, avoid turning the player on until it has completely dried out.  

I did the exact same thing - ran the Sansa Clip thorugh the washing machine last week.

I followed the directions below and…

It worked! The Sansa Clip is working Again!

Thank You!

@jdj2112 wrote:

I did the exact same thing - ran the Sansa Clip thorugh the washing machine last week.

I followed the directions below and…

It worked! The Sansa Clip is working Again!

Thank You!

And now it’s

:smileyvery-happy:

@jdj2112 wrote:

And now it’s

:smileyvery-happy:

Ok, i have this problem with my Clip+ now. It was on the wash last night, now im going to wash it with clean water, so im going to follow Miikerman’s tips. Hopefully it works. Just one question: Would it be better to open Clip like here: http://smartech.blogetery.com/files/2009/09/sandisk-sansa-clip-plus-disassembly.jpg  and leave it to dry like that? 

Message Edited by Jude on 12-29-2009 04:39 AM

You can, but don’t need to.  Given that the Clip wasn’t meant to be taken apart and that you can damage the case, I would try it first without.

Ok, so today (2 days after the accident) i tested my Clip+ if it would work (I followed Miikermans tips like i posted before), and yes! It still works, i listened music for a 30minutes from it and it was just like before. I charged it to 100% so the battery seems to be working too, thank god what a relief it was! Maybe i’ll be more careful in the future :slight_smile: Rock on Sandisk and Miikerman!

Message Edited by Jude on 12-31-2009 01:36 PM

Message Edited by Jude on 12-31-2009 01:37 PM

Cool–always nice when one of these babies comes back to life.

:slight_smile:

I love it!

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue: