volume wont turn up

All of a sudden the volume wont turn up, down works fine.  Any ideas???

Message Edited by kbnamom on 09-02-2008 04:02 AM

Try resetting the device in hopes that it’s confused.  Hold the power switch in the ON position for 10 seconds, release, and try again.

The volume UP / DOWN function involves two steps: the microswitches behind the volume pad have physical contacts, which to the Clip are like keyboard presses (interrupts).  If the volume function doesn’t work in one direction, I’d look into the possibility that the button contact has gone south, or the firmware is not responding to the key.

The only thing you can do “in the field” is try reinstalling the firmware or a soft reset as above.

Beyond that, call 1-866-SANDISK for a replacement.

Bob  :wink:

Exact same problem here! Just came in mail and charged it. No volume up. Goes down, but not up. Updated firmware, no difference. frustrating for a new OOB product.

Guess its call Sandisk.

Raymond 

And you tried a soft re-set as well, right?

My sansa clip worked fine yesterday morning and all of a sudden last night it wouldnt turn down. It will turn up but not down

Probably broken or missed solder connection on the volume switch. I’ve seen a whole bunch of these. Seems to be a QC problem at manufacture. Easy fix if you open the player and can solder.

Hi

My volume will now not go down.  I received an email from sandisk telling me to update the firmware which I did sadly this was of no help.  Do you have any ideas?

Jason

Unfortunately, likely a hardware issue, as noted above …  You might try jiggling the switch a bit, to see if that gets things back to where they were. 

You might also try a reset (Clip:  hold the on switch uppermost; Clip+:  hold the on switch down) for 15-30 seconds, but I wouldn’t get my hopes up …  Sorry, but good luck!

Mines is sorta the same. I’ve had it for like 4 years I think. Everything works great except for the volume up button its all the way down so I can’t listen to anything !! I can’t raise the volume and its really frustrating. Anyone know how to fix it or have a different way you can raise the volume without haveing to use the actual button ???

It really sounds like a hardware issue (sorry!), but you could try reapplying the latest firmware (see the firmware upgrade sticky thread at the top of the forum) in case it’s a corrupt hardware issue.

If I recall correctly, the alternate Rockbox firmware (available at rockbox.org) will allow a volume change via the software–you could check that out. 

1 Like

@cookie_monster wrote:

Mines is sorta the same. I’ve had it for like 4 years I think. Everything works great except for the volume up button its all the way down so I can’t listen to anything !! I can’t raise the volume and its really frustrating. Anyone know how to fix it or have a different way you can raise the volume without haveing to use the actual button ???

Sounds like the volume switch is broken. Making you pretty much hosed as far as using it. Unless you’re good at tinkering and soldering with miniscule electronic parts . . . you could buy a DOA unit from someone on eBay and maybe swap the switch out.

Otherwise, buy a new one and try to be a bit more gentle with it.

@miikerman wrote:

It really sounds like a hardware issue (sorry!), but you could try reapplying the latest firmware (see the firmware upgrade sticky thread at the top of the forum) in case it’s a corrupt hardware issue.

If I recall correctly, the alternate Rockbox firmware (available at rockbox.org) will allow a volume change via the software–you could check that out. 

Yes, you can change the volume in Rockbox without the actual volume control.

1 Like