sound clipping

I don’t now if this is something I should be doing but I am trying to play my clip+ through my home stereo. I run a line out of the headphone jact into an imput in the back of my stereo. The sound seems to be “clipping” or dropping off. Can anybody help me with this problem. If I can’t us my mp3 player in this manner then I really have no need fo it.

Try turning the volume up all the way on the Clip+ and then use the volume control of the stereo to raise or lower the listening level.

There are a few factors involved.  Most notably, is playback normal through headphones?

If so, either there is a gain issue, a load issue, or a plug problem.  Normally, run with the volume at three-quarters of scale or higher, and adjust at the stereo.  If the plug has a problem,try pulling the plug out slightly, and see if the sound clears up, or it might be the opposite problem, the plug might not be fully inserted.

If the load is excessive, under 16 ohms, on your stereo, the output might be clipping on the player.  This situation is unlikely but possible.  Incidentally, dropping out of audio on the Clip can be caused by a problem plug, at it may be shunting one channel to ground.  The drop out sound if the protection circuit of the headphone amp.

This protection can activate if you are using a two-conductor (mono) cable, as it shorts the two (L / R) outputs together.

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

I will try a different plug and see if that makes any diff. By the way I have to turn the volume on my amp all the way up to get decent volume.

Tried a different plug and that fixed the sound cutting out. Thanks :slight_smile:

But I still don’t get a lot of volume. Could it be I just need a better player?

Make sure the player’s EQ is set to “Normal”

The EU volume limitation may be an issue with your device. Normally, when playing through an external amplifier, set the volume up to maximum, which is best.  Don’t worry, you’re playing through a higher impedance load than headphones, so battery life will be jst fine.

Don’t forget to turn down the volume before using headphones later.

Under Settings > System Settings > Volume set the device to “high”, not "normal (limited).  If you do not have the volume option available in Settings, change your Region to Rest Of World or North Amnerica, and you’ll have the available setting.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Make sure you aren’t using the phono input on the home stereo. Plugging anything but a phonograph into that will cause problems. As others have said, it may be a problem with the cables, or perhaps the contacts on the stereo input are dirty and not making good contact.

Tried all of the above. New cables and I still get sound clipping (if that is really what is happening) if I turn the volume up to max on mp3 player. The volume on my amp is almost up all the way. This should be way too loud to sit in front of the speakers but not with this unit. I have no experience with these little mp3 players. Maybe it is a problem with these things. I us a portable cd player like a walkman to play mp3 cds through my amp and get tons of volume. Still looking for the right answer. Thanks for all the suggestions though.

By the way this happens on two different amps! Also if I play  mp3 player through my computer via the usb hookup through an amp the volume is normal. gets very loud and no sound clipping.

@busteroni wrote:

Tried all of the above. New cables and I still get sound clipping (if that is really what is happening) if I turn the volume up to max on mp3 player. The volume on my amp is almost up all the way. This should be way too loud to sit in front of the speakers but not with this unit. I have no experience with these little mp3 players. Maybe it is a problem with these things. I us a portable cd player like a walkman to play mp3 cds through my amp and get tons of volume. Still looking for the right answer. Thanks for all the suggestions though.

I have run my Sansas at max volume, with the players’ EQ set to “Normal” for hours on end…and there was no clipping…and I did not have to turn my stereo up that much louder. A little bit louder than a CD player? Yes…but not that much more.

Well I tried a different wire. This one is one piece, a mini into two rca plugs and that seems to have been the problem. Now I have plenty of volume. Thanks to all for your imput. Problem solved.