Sansa updater stuck at sansa updater is currently checking for updates"

I am running the sansa updater and it’s stuck at the message “sansa updater is currently checking for updates” for a looong time. Why doesn’t this thing time out?

Why is it stuck? I am behind a firewall, does it use a non standard port?

Also I wish Sandisk posts the firmware version on the download site so I can compare my clip’s version with their latest. Maybe I don’t have to go through the malfunctioning updater.

abdu wrote:

I am running the sansa updater and it’s stuck at the message “sansa updater is currently checking for updates” for a looong time. Why doesn’t this thing time out?

Why is it stuck? I am behind a firewall, does it use a non standard port?

Also I wish Sandisk posts the firmware version on the download site so I can compare my clip’s version with their latest. Maybe I don’t have to go through the malfunctioning updater.

You dont have to use the updater for anything except for Sansa Media Converter which since you have a clip is not something you need or can use. The firmwares are always posted in a thread on this forum.  You can find it in the Very first post of a thread called “Sansa Clip Firmware Update” here is a link for ya 

Thanks. Why is Sandisk confusing people with their updater? When you go to download the firmware from their support link, it goes through a ‘Driver Download Wizard’ which takes you to the updater.

abdu wrote:
Thanks. Why is Sandisk confusing people with their updater? When you go to download the firmware from their support link, it goes through a ‘Driver Download Wizard’ which takes you to the updater.

The updater is easier for some. My Dad for instance has a Clip and is not all that good with computers, so he can just plug in his clip and the updater pops up he sees a new firmware and clicks 1 button and it works. The update from the forum would be too much for him. I use it because I sometimes miss the forum updates, so when I see something new on the list I can hit the forums and find it.

I just checked the Firmware Updater links via the Sansa Clip Firmware Update thread.  The link to the Updater in this thread goes to the Knowledge base, with the Sansa Updater link right in the middle of the answer.

This link jumps past the hoops, and the updater file pops right up.

The Sansa Updater can run into permission issues with many PCs, based upon antivirus or firewall configurations.  If you run into any of these issues, often logging in as “administrator” does the trick.  Otherwise, manually installing the firmware is pretty simple.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

I checked what port it uses and it uses http 80 which means the firewall is not blocking it. Anyways I found out I have the latest firmware already.