rockbox warning

@fdsafdsa wrote:

@chuck_w wrote:

@fdsafdsa wrote:

Doesn’t work for me.

Same here…the player is dead in the water. There seems to be nothing left to try.

Hmm now it works. I let it rest for half a day and I could finally turn it on. It said low battery and turned off and finally I could charge it with the USB. Why I don’t understand what happened is because before all this happened the battery was indicated to be full.

And finally Rockbox is working as well. I love the wide range of sound setting options.

Hope you’ll get lucky too.

myself included. You simply left it sitting for half a day?

@chuck_w wrote:

@fdsafdsa wrote:

@chuck_w wrote:

@fdsafdsa wrote:

Doesn’t work for me.

Same here…the player is dead in the water. There seems to be nothing left to try.

Hmm now it works. I let it rest for half a day and I could finally turn it on. It said low battery and turned off and finally I could charge it with the USB. Why I don’t understand what happened is because before all this happened the battery was indicated to be full.

And finally Rockbox is working as well. I love the wide range of sound setting options.

I had a Sony player that I thought I had bricked, and the same kind of thing happened…I tried plugging it in one last time before I was going to send it back, two days later, and about 15 minutes later, I saw it light up out of the corner of my eye, and the battery was almost dead. Left it to charge the rest of the way, and it was fine after that. So maybe that will be the answer for you too.

@chuck_w wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

Try leaving it plugged in longer…

Maybe there is some quirk of the V2 Clip I don’t know about, but none of the 4 Sansas I have RB’d has ever bricked.

If you think you can resurrect my clip then I might just send it to you so you to try!

Hey MM,

I can send you my clip if you  think its possible to resurrect it! let me know!

@chuck_w wrote:

@fdsafdsa wrote:

@chuck_w wrote:

@fdsafdsa wrote:

Doesn’t work for me.

You sound surprised, but I said on page 1 that the Clip sometimes does this :wink:

I tried Rockbox again, and it remained difficult to deal with. I added a Readability theme, and couldn’t locate it. Sometimes it would tell me to reboot. At least once, it rebooted back to the Sansa look. It still wouldn’t recognize my AAC HE files. Fortunately, it is not difficult to restore the Sansa firmware. I don’t want to read through a manual, and ask questions on a forum, just to get the thing to work. So I’ve returned my library to MP3, and my Clip+ is fine. Rockbox needs to be easier (for me anyway) to be successful. It is more stubborn that Linux.

With all due respect, it takes less than an hour to read/skim through the Rockbox manual.  Perhaps less than the time you may have spent fiddling with the software.  In my humble opinion, a good investment.  

Also, in my experience with Rockbox on a different player, it worked “right out of the box” (and no manual-reading required).

@wplj42 wrote:

I tried Rockbox again, and it remained difficult to deal with. I added a Readability theme, and couldn’t locate it. Sometimes it would tell me to reboot. At least once, it rebooted back to the Sansa look.

You need to reboot to enable some features, just do so when prompted.  You’ll reboot into the Sandisk firmware if you plugin in the USB cable so that you can use USB.  This is exepected.  Really, take a look at the getting started section, its only a few hundred words and it would help you immensely here.  

@wplj42 wrote:

It still wouldn’t recognize my AAC HE files. 

Rockbox doesn’t “recongize” AAC-He files, it just plays them.  If you have AAC-HE files, just put them on the player, select one and then play it.  Simple at that.

@wplj42 wrote:

Rockbox needs to be easier (for me anyway) to be successful. It is more stubborn that Linux.

Nonsense.  I use both pretty regularly.  The things you mention, playing files and changing themes are trivial.  And if for some reason you can’t figure them out intuitively, the manual explains the steps quite clearly IMO.  

My eyesight is bad. Trying to read the PDF manual is miserable at best. Trying to see the screen on Rockbox is next to impossible. So before saying “nonsense” and “trivial,” let me send you my eyes, and you may give it a go. The ACC HE files did not appear. I was told the player was empty. Then I rebooted, and the files were there, but still would not play. It was an awkward experience, as Rockbox didn’t always do the same thing twice. For those of you who might be able to read the manual, in say an hour, it would take me two or three, as I would have to employ computer speech in addition to the terribly light text. Since all I wanted out of Rockbox was AAC HE compatibility, and that didn’t want to work, I did the next best thing. My iTunes library is now MP3, and my Clip+ is using the Sansa firmware, which is pretty hard to see, but I get by.

hey everyone,

my clip is still dead after trying all the methods to revive it. is there on last sure fire method to make it work before it hits the trash bin?

I would telephone SanDisk Customer Service about this.  In the U.S.:  1-866-SANDISK (726-3475).  And other SanDisk contact information:  http://www.sandisk.com/sandisk-support/contact-us.

@wplj42 wrote:

My eyesight is bad. Trying to read the PDF manual is miserable at best.Trying to see the screen on Rockbox is next to impossible. So before saying “nonsense” and “trivial,” let me send you my eyes, and you may give it a go. 

We have a voice interface and many completely blind users.  Generally people try to use rockbox instead of the original firmware specifically because it caters to users with vision disabilities.  While I understand that its more difficult to read directions using a screen reader, I don’t understand your complaint.  Using the original firmware is going to be much more difficult then rockbox because it has no voice interface at all and no ability to use larger fonts.

@wplj42 wrote:

The ACC HE files did not appear. I was told the player was empty. 

I just put an AAC-HE file on my player, selected it, and then hit play.  It works fine.  Are you sure your files are actually AAC-HE?  We support most, but certainly not all audio formats.  If you post something more descriptive then “would not play” maybe I can help you.

@miikerman wrote:

I would telephone SanDisk Customer Service about this.  In the U.S.:  1-866-SANDISK (726-3475).  And other SanDisk contact information:  http://www.sandisk.com/sandisk-support/contact-us.

If you installed third party software on your device, theres no way they’re going to be able to help you.  

@saratoga wrote:

@miikerman wrote:

If you installed third party software on your device, theres no way they’re going to be able to help you.  

I gotta agree with saratoga…its a warranty breaker!

@chuck_w wrote:

@saratoga wrote:

@miikerman wrote:

I gotta agree with saratoga…its a warranty breaker!

Yep, you’re right–I thought that it was in reference to a Sansa-related issue, unrelated to Rockbox. 

saratoga … I appreciate your effort, but my iTunes library is now MP3. I am not blind, but low vision. I do not use a screen reader, but text to speech. I have returned my Clip+ to the original firmware. That was the easiest of all to do. I can see the text in the original firmware well enough. I made a mistake in buying the Clip+ in the first place. I purchased it just about on day one of its release. Best Buy had a few in stock, but nothing on display. My bad. I might have been better off getting the Slot Radio Player, and making my own SD cards. I am still investigating a different player, not iPod, and there seems to be issues with the touch area on the new Fuse+.

Thanks again,

Jim

Just out of curiosity, if you don’t use an iPod, I wonder why do you use iTunes to manage your music? A lot of people do, and I am curious as to why.

It is the best program I’ve ever used, and easy too. And I use to be a Mac Head. If you have a better program to recommend, by all means, please do. I would like to find a free program that will batch convert to the OGG format. Use to have Max for the Mac.

Jim

@wplj42 wrote:

It is the best program I’ve ever used, and easy too. And I use to be a Mac Head. If you have a better program to recommend, by all means, please do. I would like to find a free program that will batch convert to the OGG format. Use to have Max for the Mac.

Jim

I use Mediamonkey as my main program…you can customize how it loads music onto each player you use it with. For example, I have it set to add a folder.jpg in the folder with each album it loads on my Fuze, but it does not do that with my Clip+'s.

As far as a batch converter, http://xrecode.com/ is my converter. I can drop an entire artist’s catalog from my FLAC folder into xrecode, and it will convert them all into whichever format I like…and it can convert to a crazy number of different codecs…and yes, it is free.

Chuck_W, did you try powering your clip+ using an AC power adapter to see if it does something?

Marvin … Both programs look nice. Thanks! I still like iTunes just a little bit more, but will experiment with MediaMonkey. As for Xrecode, it is a restricted kind of free. That is fine, and it looks good. One reason, among many, I don’t have an iPod, is they don’t support OGG directly. There is an add-on for OGG available for iTunes, but it is not native to anything with Apple.

Thanks again,

Jim