Highlighted

really disappointed

[ Edited ]
bought a 4 gig i saw on sale for 35 bucks,,and i have to say,i cant belive folders arent supported,,my old small 1gig zen and a cheapy i had both supported them,,4 gigs is alot of music to not have folder support,some of us work 12 hours a day and dont want to spend the time retagging a bunch of music,which in my opinion still isnt as good as folders,its very easy to move around labled folders for what you want where you put it,espc. with 4gigs worth,came here hoping for a firmware fix,,and the only reason i am taking the time to post is to say on sandisks site that mine will mysteriously fail to work and will be taken back to the store,,to bad really,because it seems like a decent player,back to creative i go
Message Edited by redninja on 12-03-2008 03:32 PM
Highlighted
SanDisk User

Re: really disappointed

[ Edited ]

@redninja wrote:
bought a 4 gig i saw on sale for 35 bucks,,and i have to say,i cant belive folders arent supported,,my old small 1gig zen and a cheapy i had both supported them,,4 gigs is alot of music to not have folder support,some of us work 12 hours a day and dont want to spend the time retagging a bunch of music,which in my opinion still isnt as good as folders,its very easy to move around labled folders for what you want where you put it,espc. with 4gigs worth,came here hoping for a firmware fix,,and the only reason i am taking the time to post is to say on sandisks site that mine will mysteriously fail to work and will be taken back to the store,,to bad really,because it seems like a decent player,back to creative i go
Message Edited by redninja on 12-03-2008 03:32 PM

#1: Nobody likes a whiner.

#2: Do you realize how *easy* it is to use a readily available freeware program to parse the folders you've created and automatically create playlists for you, so that you will have pretty much what you *would* have with a folder interface? No?  I didn't think so.  I'd dig around the forum and dig up the URL for you, but, well, see #1.

Message Edited by PickMorel on 12-03-2008 07:21 PM
Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

[ Edited ]

Unfortunately, many players nowadays don't support folders (despite what many of us would like, me included).  It just is what it is, and likely won't change--use the ID3 tags.

By the way, there is a fix here of-sorts:  one of the kind forum members has created a program that creates playlists from the folders on the Clip.  You should be able to find it here fairly easily, by searching (use the box at top left) on playlist.

edit:  Actually, the thread you want was just a few down from yours.  Smiley Wink   Here's the link.  http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=clip&thread.id=11090&view=by_date_ascending&p...

Message Edited by Miikerman on 12-03-2008 04:50 PM
Highlighted
SanDisk Senior User

I'm gonna tread between the last two quotes, and somewhat affectionately note (sorry for the yelling):

4 GIGABYTES FOR 35 DOLLARS AND YOU'RE COMPLAINING ABOUT FOLDERS????? 

Really, I don't mean to be rude about it, but that's a heck of a deal.  For the cost, I think the playlist hack is a very small compromise.

Don't forget the Clip sounds awesome.

-Matt

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

An addition:  if the Rockbox project manages to bring the Rockbox alternative firmware to the Clip (attempts are on-going, and positive; but time will tell if it is possible), Rockbox has folderview.
Highlighted
SanDisk User

Welcome to the club of us who wants folders.

Still...sansamatt has a point. For that price you've got 4G and excelent sound - just forget folders. You won't get it with Sansa.

Highlighted

It is cheap, ok, but folder support wouldn't be a thing that'd cost more like better earphones or better finish. I see no reason not to add this feature.

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

@geozec wrote:

It is cheap, ok, but folder support wouldn't be a thing that'd cost more like better earphones or better finish. I see no reason not to add this feature.

adding this feature would add a huge amount of development and testing time and that costs more that earbuds or a paint job ever could. many people want this but it most likely will not be implemented so i would not hold your breath.

Highlighted

i realize 35 bucks for a 4 gig player is a good deal,,but the fact of the matter is my almost 3 year old zen nano,has folders,,that makes it old technology already,so really there isnt any reason it shouldn't be implemented into it,,no different than my cell phone from 5 years ago played .gifs but my new palm doesnt,,,anyway if i want to throw 100 songs in a punk folder and another 100 in a country folder or misc songs from the same artist off diffrent albums into a folder,,well it should be that simple,,,why??because 3 years ago it was,,regardless thanks everyone for trying to help out,but i already got a creative stone plus for my pocket,has the EASE of folders and better sound,,anyways thanks again
Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

@redninja wrote:
i realize 35 bucks for a 4 gig player is a good deal,,but the fact of the matter is my almost 3 year old zen nano,has folders,,that makes it old technology already,so really there isnt any reason it shouldn't be implemented into it,,no different than my cell phone from 5 years ago played .gifs but my new palm doesnt,,,anyway if i want to throw 100 songs in a punk folder and another 100 in a country folder or misc songs from the same artist off diffrent albums into a folder,,well it should be that simple,,,why??because 3 years ago it was,,regardless thanks everyone for trying to help out,but i already got a creative stone plus for my pocket,has the EASE of folders and better sound,,anyways thanks again

the stone plus has better sound than the Clip? I highly doubt that....if you like folders, that's great, but I've never heard anyone anywhere say the stone sound is better before Smiley Tongue

iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB.
Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia Lumia 520