Reply
SanDisk User
Posts: 41
Registered: ‎05-15-2008

Re: really disappointed

[ Edited ]
Sorry, for the misunderstanding. Eliasf, I'll try your software, thank you. And I very much agree with your rant... but for the fact that I wouldn't call it a rant! Your screws/nails metaphor is most appropriate.
Message Edited by Sinocelt on 12-10-2008 08:14 AM
SanDisk Professor
Posts: 682
Registered: ‎04-18-2008

Re: really disappointed

Winamp is what really woke me up to the potential of tags.  When I started looking into the Smart View functionality and realized I could create SQL-like queries on the Media Libray, it was definitely an aha! moment.  Between smart views for dynamic organization and playlists for static origanization, the physical organization on disk became irrelevent to it's logical presentation.  Which, as a developer, I of course found very appealing. Smiley Happy

 

So now my library is stricly organized in <Albumartist>\<Album> folders and I use Winamp's smart views and playlists for most of my playback.  I also use Winamp's playlist based syncing to manage the content on the Fuze.

 

That said, the Fuze still has a few gaps in it's tag support that are fairly annoying.  Not having Albumartist support makes dealing with compilations, tributes and classical albums difficult.

SanDisk Senior User
Posts: 119
Registered: ‎08-14-2008

Re: really disappointed

Thanks guys (gals?)...I think this is resolving itself peacefully, which makes it a happy ending.  I hope.

 

But let me admit one thing I overlooked:  I (naively) assumed that the typical procedure is to manage the library on a computer, and then copy over songs to the player as needed.  (This came up recently in another thread in terms of running MP3Tag...run it on your library, or run it on your player?)  Anyway, I'm sure my bias showed through on that issue:  I do all the housecleaning on my PC.  It frankly didn't occur to me that someone would archive their songs on disks and then maintain the library as it were on the player.  That DOES make the distinction between folders and playlists a little more complex.

 

Except for eliasf's program (which is the one I was thinking of!). Smiley Wink I think that's the perfect compromise.

 

(On a related note:  I notice that when I connect my View in MSC mode--yes, I realize this is the Clip Forum!--MediaMonkey recognizes the internal drive, but not the sdMicro card.  So managing my files directly on the View itself is problematic.)

 

-Matt

SanDisk User
Posts: 41
Registered: ‎05-15-2008

Re: really disappointed

[ Edited ]
Eliasf's program is indeed a godsend. (God or order and music... Apollo?)
Message Edited by Sinocelt on 12-10-2008 09:49 AM
SanDisk Senior User
Posts: 119
Registered: ‎08-14-2008

Re: really disappointed

I hope I'm not piling (sp?) after the whistle, but here is an interesting idea I hadn't thought of regarding folders/playlists, from over on the View side:

 

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=view&message.id=9216#M9216

 


@vroom wrote:

In MTP mode, you can easily make playlists out of your folders in Windows. Once connected, go to your music folder, right click on the folder. In the context menu that appears, choose "create playlist". A file named "New Playlist.pla" will appear. Name it what you want (that name will appear in your playlist section on the View), and place it in the playlist folder. You can then double click on the .pla files to open a simple playlist editor. You can dragg other files to it, change the song order, etc.

 

...

 

V. 


It's clunky, but options are nice.

 

-Matt

 

SanDisk Professor
Posts: 682
Registered: ‎04-18-2008

Re: really disappointed


sansamatt wrote: 

But let me admit one thing I overlooked:  I (naively) assumed that the typical procedure is to manage the library on a computer, and then copy over songs to the player as needed.  (This came up recently in another thread in terms of running MP3Tag...run it on your library, or run it on your player?)  Anyway, I'm sure my bias showed through on that issue:  I do all the housecleaning on my PC.  It frankly didn't occur to me that someone would archive their songs on disks and then maintain the library as it were on the player.  That DOES make the distinction between folders and playlists a little more complex.


 

I would say your assumption is reasonable.  I do all my tag maintenance and playlist building on my PC library (all FLAC) then use Winamp to sync to the portable device (transcoding to MP3).  I do a few post-syncing tasks directly on the player (MP3Gain, resize album art, etc.)

 


@sansamatt wrote:

(On a related note:  I notice that when I connect my View in MSC mode--yes, I realize this is the Clip Forum!--MediaMonkey recognizes the internal drive, but not the sdMicro card.  So managing my files directly on the View itself is problematic.)


 

In MSC mode, the MicroSD should appear as another drive letter in Windows Explorer.  MM (or Winamp) will see this as a completely separate device.  As far as MM knows, it's two different devices.  Both can be synced independantly.

Highlighted
SanDisk Senior User
Posts: 119
Registered: ‎08-14-2008

Re: really disappointed


@Skinjob wrote:

 

In MSC mode, the MicroSD should appear as another drive letter in Windows Explorer.  MM (or Winamp) will see this as a completely separate device.  As far as MM knows, it's two different devices.  Both can be synced independantly.


At least in theory, it should be so.  But for some odd reason, the facts are (a) Explorer sees both the View's internal and external (microSD) drives, but MM sees/reports/recognizes only the internal drive, and strangely, (b) MM DOES see both internal and external drives on other players I have.  Fortunately I can just drag and drop to the external drive, in any case!

 

-Matt