plugging in USB cable shuts down sansa 4gb player

After taking my sansa 4gb clip through security at the airport, it suddenly started malfunctioning.  When I plug it into the usb port on my windows XP computer, rather than lighting up and charging, and also being recognized by the PC, it goes completely black and non-responsive.  It doesn’t even charge.  When I unplug either the mp3 side of the usb or the PC side of the usb, the sansa powers on.

I’ve tried

-resetting it by holding the reset/power button up for > 15 seconds.

• resetting it by SETTINGS->reset all

• formatting it by SETTINGS->format

• setting the usb mode to both MTP and MSC, powering down, and locking it.

- plugging it into different computers

- changing out usb cables

Any ideas on how to fix it?

Thanks,

Jim

Sorry, no ideas, but I"m having a similar problem. I left mine plugged into my laptop charging for maybe 20 hours, and it suddenly says that it is empty. I’m really frustrated, has yours ever done that? and if so, what did you do?

@jamesmhansen wrote:

After taking my sansa 4gb clip through security at the airport, it suddenly started malfunctioning.  When I plug it into the usb port on my windows XP computer, rather than lighting up and charging, and also being recognized by the PC, it goes completely black and non-responsive.  It doesn’t even charge.  When I unplug either the mp3 side of the usb or the PC side of the usb, the sansa powers on.

I’ve tried

-resetting it by holding the reset/power button up for > 15 seconds.

• resetting it by SETTINGS->reset all
  • formatting it by SETTINGS->format
  • setting the usb mode to both MTP and MSC, powering down, and locking it.

- plugging it into different computers

- changing out usb cables

Any ideas on how to fix it?

Thanks,

Jim

The only thing you haven’t tried is reapplying the firmware, but obviously that’s not going to work since you can’t get it to work on the computer.  I think this is something you may have to contact sandisk about.  Hopefully you’re still in the warranty period.  Good luck!

Try giving it a long charge with an AC charger, then try to connect it to the pc. Try connecting it to the pc using a different cable.

Message Edited by JK98 on 01-22-2010 11:35 AM

I am trying the long charge (24 hours)  Maybe it is the solution.  I’ll let you know.  It currently shows 3/4 full and plugging it in hasn’t changed that in any way previously.

Message Edited by jamesmhansen on 01-24-2010 08:29 AM

I’ve had it plugged in for 24 hours now and there is no difference at all in either the battery charge (80%) or its response when plugged in or unplugged.  My wife has an identical player and I plugged it in to all USB ports on my computer using both usb cables and it connects and charges normally.  Mine just goes black still.  Must be a usb internal problem.  Any other ideas before I trash it?

Are you by any chance still within the 1 year warranty/replacement period?

I am of the replacement they sent when the first one broke.  I should contact tech support and send this in for a replacement.

Did you try to reinstall the driver?

There is an easy way, plug in USB on other computer, if it is Ok, I think the it is your computer’s problem. If not, it is the sansa’s problem.