plug into laptop and nothing

i just got the 4gb clip, got it home, plugged it in and (drum roll) nothing.:cry:  is this normal for the virgin charge of the device? please someone help me!!!

@dswren wrote:
i just got the 4gb clip, got it home, plugged it in and (drum roll) nothing.:cry:  is this normal for the virgin charge of the device? please someone help me!!!

The issue is not the device. Is your laptop plugged in? And If So then Turn the power settings up as high as possible. Most laptops especially when unplugged, have built in mechanisms to save juice. The result is that the USB ports dont put out enough power to charge your player. So make sure its plugged in and if that doesnt help try a desktop PC.

Does the Clip’s display come on when you plug it into the USB port?

Laptops maybe tricky…   they tend to try to conserve power.     Try plugging the Clip into a desktop computer.   Or be sure the laptop is plugged into the AC power,  then reboot with the clip plugged in,  see if it recognizes a new USB device.

There is a troubleshooting guide in the Sansa.com/ support / knowledgebase on connecting the Clip and getting it recognized by the OS.

http://kb.sandisk.com/cgi-bin/sandisk_en.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=42&p_created=1221328944&p_sid=4CxADtqj&p_brand=sansa

Let us know how it goes

i guess i’m an ■■■■■ savant.  just to see if it would work i did a soft reset and then plugged it into the laptop(yes it was plugged in before).  all of a sudden it started up. guess that was all.  thanks for the info!