new 16GB card.... do I need to format it for the player?

I just got a new 16GB card, put it in the player, and connected it to my computer by USB. 

it looks like the card is recognized by both the player and the computer.

however, one things seems to be missing.  when I did this on my other Clip+, the new card automatically showed the basic folders, like “music”, “podcasts,” etc…   but on this one, when I navigate to the new card it just shows one folder called MSC.

should I just duplicate the same folders that are on the internal memory?  Or is there a procedure I need to do that makes the player put those folders on the card?

I thought about formatting the card from inside the player, but when I go to “format” it doesn’t seem to ask me if I want to format the internal memory or the card, and I *don’t* want to format the internal memory.

any advice is appreciated.

Just make sure your player is set to MSC mode. Sounds like from what you said, it may be in Auto Defect mode.

thanks… however i wanted to try out the other mode on this unit (I have two) and see what the differences are.  are you saying if I"m in the non-MSC mode (i forget the name) that I can’t put podcasts on to the external memory card, like I can only put them on the internal memory?  Or can I create a podcast folder inside the MSC folder ?

thanks much

garybeck wrote:

thanks… however i wanted to try out the other mode on this unit (I have two) and see what the differences are. 

Why?

The only reason anyone would need to use MTP mode is if they have DRM-crippled content, such as files from Rhapsody, Napster, or audio books you ‘borrow’ from your library using Overdrive. MSC allows your computer to see your player as just another dumb storage device (like a thumb drive). Much easier.

Auto Defect mode simply confuses most people and creates more problems than it solves . . . hence my nick-name for it.

Message Edited by Tapeworm on 01-20-2010 01:31 PM

garybeck wrote:

thanks… however i wanted to try out the other mode on this unit (I have two) and see what the differences are.  are you saying if I"m in the non-MSC mode (i forget the name) that I can’t put podcasts on to the external memory card, like I can only put them on the internal memory?  Or can I create a podcast folder inside the MSC folder ?

thanks much

Tapeworm wrote:

garybeck wrote:

thanks… however i wanted to try out the other mode on this unit (I have two) and see what the differences are. 

Why?

The only reason anyone would _need_to use MTP mode is if they have DRM-crippled content, such as files from Rhapsody, Napster, or audio books you ‘borrow’ from your library using Overdrive. MSC allows your computer to see your player as just another dumb storage device (like a thumb drive). Much easier.

Auto Defect mode simply confuses most people and creates more problems than it solves . . . hence my nick-name for it.

MTP mode is not quite as bad as some people here have made it out to be *cough*Black-Rectanglecough:stuck_out_tongue:, but Tapeworm is correct, MSC mode is clearly superior , and gives you more freedom to do with your player and files what you wish.

Got your player plugged into the computer to charge? You can listen to the files on it if it is in MSC mode…but you can’t in MTP mode.

Are you a playlist junkie? Rumor has it that they are easier to create in MTP mode than MSC (but I don’t use them so I don’t know for sure)

Ever find that your computer won’t recognize your player in MTP mode? MSC will let your Sansa work with just about any computer, whereas MTP is more limited in that regard.

Any player that gives me a choice of using MSC or MTP I will set on MSC and leave it there…but in all fairness, I do have an MTP-only player that will do almost anything I want it to. Tapeworm is also spot-on about Auto-Defect…a very appropriate nick-name.:wink:

Use MSC mode + FAT32 formatted card. After plugging the card, format the card from the menu. You are good to go.