Re: my volume button is broken.

[ Edited ]

Same problem. Tried to fix it with glue. It didn't work.

It seems like there's no contact anymore (before, I could put the chip in place and increase the volume, now I cant).

Tried to put dissolvant to get rid of the glue and get the contact back, didn't work either.

Tried to scratch away and get a better contact, didn't work either.

Not sure what to do now. Perharps I will try tin fusing, not sure. Honestly it starting to piss me off.

It's my second Sansa Clip broking (first had a screen problem after a fall) in 3 years.

Not sure if I'm gonna buy a third one...

SanDisk Guru

If you still are within the warranty period (1 year U.S., 2 years EU), you could try asking SanDisk to replace the player for you . . . .

[ Edited ]

Technically, I am, but since I opened it to try to fix it, I no longer have the warranty.

And honestly, it was partly my fault, as the button broke because I've dropped it (still, only from less than 1m). But because of that, I doubt I can get an exchange.

(I have to confess on the other side that the first one was completly my fault, as I had really badly damaged it).

It's annoying, but aside from that I've been quite pleased by the player.

I've commanded another one for 36€, with a protective silicon gear this time, and I'll try to be more careful in the future.

I'll also try to fix my old one later, and post here if I can fix it.

Anyway, thx all for the feedback. Smiley Happy

At least I was able to try to fix it (and learned that glue and electric connection are bad combo, haha, costly lesson though).

SanDisk Guru

You might try contacting SanDisk and explaining that you only tried to fix the player once it failed. SanDisk could respond positively. It's a cheap (tellfree) phone call.
SanDisk Guru

That is, "tollfree" . . . .

Same problem here with 4MB Clip+, and a tiny drop of super-glue between the twin holes in the MB re-attached the switch and so far so good (only 2 days). I use Rockbox, and it has volume control under Settings, but the control is a hassle to get to (and to get back from), so getting the up-vol. switch back is very nice. The worst part of the job was getting the case apart...ugh. The case has to be lifted OVER the USB connector, so beware. You'll need visual magnification and fine tweezers to hold the switch in order to place its plastic pins properly in the twin holes. I applied downward pressure on the switch as the glue was setting up in order to ensure the contacts were mated.

Dear Krom:

Ten years ago, you provided some very useful information about efforts to repair broken volume buttons. Along with the text, you also provided Before and After Repair photos. Unfortunately, those photos don't appear within the text, and I'm sure they would be very helpful.

I still use the Sansa Clip Zip MP3 players because I need ones that are compatible with Audible audiobooks and, in my view, this player is far superior to its successors, Sport and Jam, which frankly are junk (and smarphones are heavy to walk with). Of course, it's difficult to obtain them, and thus it is disheartening when something goes wrong with my precious Clip Zips. Two now have broken volume buttons -- one with just the up button and one with both. I can use them on a speaker with sound controls but not with headphones, which is inconvenient. I'm not confident that I can find someone to fix these (don't trust myself) but I'd like to try.

I strongly doubt that you will get this message after such a long time, but this is the only way I can see to try to contact you, so I might as well try. If you do see this message and can still provide the photos, I would be most grateful.

Sincerely,  "Elbara"  aka Elinor, ebachrach@hotmail.com