my volume button is broken.

the volume button on my mp3 player is broken. do i need to take it back to where i bought it
Highlighted
SanDisk Fanatic

Re: my volume button is broken.

Yep, return it. Let me guess...it's the up volume button. This is a major problem with the clip. I've seen a whole bunch of them. Most of them are completely missed solder on the top pad of the up volume switch. In time it breaks free or flexes back and the outside button quits making mechanical contact.

Return it if you can or RMA it.

8GB Blue FUZE w/The Original DIY Lineout Cable and AT Button H-Phones Fitted To AT WM5 Headband:All Custom Built

[ Edited ]

Further notes on the Clip volume button breakage:

I had the same problem. I found some information that indicates that the art of soldering has improved over the years, to a point where it is 99.9999% perfect. Every electronic product has hundreds of solder connections in its construction and a computer board, for example, has thousands of connections. The chance of a board failing in a 5 year life-time is less than 1%.

Also, I believe this issue involves what is called a Cold Solder issue that happened at the factory. A cold joint is a joint in which the solder does not make good contact with the component lead or printed circuit board pad. Cold joints occur when the component lead or solder pad moves before the solder is completely cooled. Cold joints can be recognized by a characteristic grainy, dull gray colour, (this is what I found when I looked closely at the contacts of the switch), and can be easily fixed by removing the old solder and resoldering. 

(I am also entertaining the idea that there may not be a 'stop' on the volume button. That is to say, something to stop the switch from being over pressed by the button. It's a tiny switch, and if what ever pressure is applied to the volume button is transferred directly to the micro switch, I could see that it might end up being just too much pressure for it to handle so that either the contacts break off the board, or perhaps the switch itself will break over time) 

It seems logical from these two points, and the apparent frequent identical failure of this specific switch, it really is a manufacturing fault and not a user fault.

Contacted Sansa, but without packaging and receipt, no service. A pity, since everything else about Sansa and Sansa products seems so wonderful. I personally think a company should stand behind their products on manufacturing defects, regardless. 

For an idea of how service/non-service works, transcript included here....personal details edited out. Reads from bottom to top by date.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Hello Krom,

Thank you for contacting SanDisk Technical support.

Thank you for your eagerness in trying to resolve the issue.

Unfortunately, the Sansa Mp3 player's volume up button got defective already. Sorry for the inconvenience.

We regret to inform you but we cannot process replacement request since you received the player without in its sealed retail packaging. SanDisk does not offer repair services or provide replacement parts since Sansa mp3 players are not economically feasible to repair.

I would like to thank you for your interest in Sansa Clip mp3 players and for your comments and feedback about the device.

Please contact OEMsales@sandisk.com for review request on Sansa Clip mp3 players.

Should you have any other concern with our products, please reply to this email.

Best regards,
E. B.
SanDisk Technical Support

Your Response: (05/29/2009 12:53)

Hello E, Thank you for your response. Please see answers to your questions below. # Are you not feeling the "click" when you press the up button? There is a click. However, the top end of the volume button is now just a little bit loose. Ie on the volume up side. This would again support what I have outlined as a manufacturing defect on the circuit board soldering area for the up volume micro switch. There are five separate references for such on Sansa forums, complete with pictures documenting the issue. # Was there any incident that the player was dropped or splashed with water? No. One moment it was working where I keep it by my bedside, and the next moment, not. (FYI, I had already reinstalled the firmware [ V01.01.32A] as part of my own diagnostics rundown before I contacted Sansa. No change. - I should mention that prior to this issue, I had been so pleased with the many positive features of the Clip, especially the new flac support, that I had been planning to contact Sansa regarding writing a glowing review of the '8' mb Clip on a popular flac and mp3 review website. This would result in a substantial increase in the sales of the Sansa Clip on a global level. I am hoping for assurance that the circuit board issue has been resolved on the manufacturing level and that we can also resolve the issue with this particular unit that I have now. Thank you, Krom, Sansa Clip User

SanDisk Response: (05/29/2009 11:53)

Hello Krom,

Thank you for contacting SanDisk Technical support. It is our goal to make sure that you have all the resources that you need to make the most out of your product.

It appears to me that your Sansa Clip Mp3 player's volume up function is not working.

First, it would be necessary for us to rule out if this is caused by a defective button. Please provide us answers that will allow us to conclude if the button is defective or not:

·  Are you not feeling the "click" when you press the up button?

·  Was there any incident that the player was dropped or splashed with water?

If answers to above questions are No then we have corrupted firmware.

If you still have the "clicking" feeling when you press the Up button, then we have to try to update your player's firmware to be able to remove possible firmware corruption in your Sansa Clip Mp3 player:

Please check your player's version: Go to Settings->>System Info

Version 1: 01.xx.xxA
Version 2: 02.xx.xxA

If it is not possible to see the menu, please proceed to steps 1 to 4 and look for the version.sdk file under M300 drive in My Computer (XP) or Computer (Vista) and then open that in notepad and look for the version of your player.

1. Turn off your Mp3 player.
2. Put the device in Hold (move Hold button until orange is showing).
3. Press and hold the Center Button.
4. Plug the mini-USB connector into the device (be sure the USB is plugged into the computer). Do not let go of the center button until the device is recognized.
5. Download and Extract the .zip file into a folder on your desktop:

If you have Version 1:

Click Here for the Sansa Clip Mp3 Player Version 1
Firmware update

If you have Version 2:

Click Here for the Sansa Clip Mp3 Player Version 2
Firmware update

6. Once extracted, drag the file or copy the *.BIN file to the root directory of your Sansa Clip.
7. Disconnect the Sansa Clip and let it restart.
8. The firmware update will now begin.
9 Once it finally finishes doing its update, it will boot back up. Once its back to the main menu, head to "Settings" > "System Info", and verify the "Version" is now updated.

Test the player's volume up and down buttons after transferring a music to the player or you can use radio tuner.

Please advise us with results.

To completely register your product, please provide the following information:
- What is the operating system running on your computer?
- Your computer's make and model.
- Date when you receive it(mm/dd/yyyy)
- Your phone number

You can also update your eBox account at SanDisk.com. This will register your product as well as facilitate the warranty replacement and technical support process in the future. When you update your eBox account, please include the place and date of purchase of your product. This will enable us to better assist you should you need to contact us in the future.

Also, you can visit http://kb.sandisk.com, our online keyword searchable Knowledgebase, to easily find answers to your Technical Support and Customer Service questions for all of SanDisk's products. Simply enter your search terms and our Knowledgebase will search an extensive database of commonly asked questions as well as our online forums at http://www.sandisk.com/forums to provide you with the most complete answers possible.

Should you have any other concern with our products, please reply to this email.

Best regards,
E B.
SanDisk Technical Support

Your Response: (05/28/2009 05:30)

Hello R, Thank you for your response. I am hopeful of a positive resolution. Since you serve as Technical Support, you most likely are aware of the issue I have described. It is not so much 'difficulties I am having in using the device, but a fault of the product. From what I have gleaned from the Sandisk Forums, this seems to be a relatively common fault of the Clip due to a manufacturing defect. I have five separate references from your forums with pictures of the circuit solder at fault as evidence. (BTW, I have found the forums extremely useful for a variety of questions, much appreciated) I would paste my copies of this over but iin respect of the request to not do so, I will not. I can email it separately if need be. Here as much details as I am able to provide again. - The exact model of your device = Sansa Clip - Color of your device. = Black - Capacity of the device. = 2Gb - Part number of the device (Take note of all the number on the device).= …..

SanDisk Response: (05/27/2009 08:18)

Hello

Thank you for contacting SanDisk Technical support. It is our goal to make sure that you have all the resources that you need to make the most out of your product.

I have received your email and I understand that you are having difficulties in using device. Rest assured that I will do my very best in resolving this issue.

In order for me to properly register your device, please provide the following information’s.

- The exact model of your device
- Color of your device.
- Capacity of the device.
- Part number of the device (Take note of all the number on the device).
- Your phone number.
- Place of purchase.
- Date of purchase. (MM/DD/YYYY)
- Where are you located? (Country)
- Full name.

Please let us verify the operating system that you are using and your computer's make and model.

Also, you can visit http://kb.sandisk.com, our online keyword searchable Knowledgebase, to easily find answers to your Technical Support and Customer Service questions for all of SanDisk's products. Simply enter your search terms and our Knowledgebase will search an extensive database of commonly asked questions as well as our online forums at http://www.sandisk.com/forums to provide you with the most complete answers possible.

Best Regards,
R. D.
SanDisk Technical Support.

Your Question/Request:

Email Date:05/26/2009 01:03 pm
Sent to:support@sansa.com

Subject:sansa clip 2gb

Hello, I am inquiring regarding repairs for a Sansa 2gb Clip. The volume increase switch appears to be malfunctioning. Ie, volume will go down, but not up, and the rocker switch seems a bit loose on the volume up side. There does still seem to be a switch click though, on the upper volume switch. The clip unit No. # is ….. It was a gift and I have the install disk, headphones and unit and clip, but not the packaging or receipt. I"ve only used it for a couple of months, and that is at light occasional use. Would you please let me know of my options and or cost? Thank you for your help. Krom, Canada BTW, I absolutely love this unit for its layout, sound quality,� and with the firmware update allowing flac files, it is the best!

Message Edited by krom on 06-14-2009 03:49 PM
Message Edited by krom on 06-14-2009 03:49 PM
Message Edited by krom on 06-15-2009 04:58 PM

[ Edited ]

In case this will be of help to anyone.

Further to Clip Volume Button breakage. Not having any satisfaction from Sansa, I decided to attempt my own repair. There is a very nice example with pics elsewhere in this forum, ('Things to do to your clip when it's dead') but it is hard to find since the posting title does not reference volume or button, so I will post my own example here. This is a very difficult job to do for a number of reasons, unless you are an expert at this sort of work. It is all so very tiny! The heat has to be just right in order not to damage any components or the board. Also, you have to have a very very fine tip. I custom made an adaptor tip to fit to my soldering iron. I used a 500 watt lamp up close for light, tweezers, and two stacked magnifying glasses! And you have to have a very steady hand.

All contacts have to be cleaned and a thin coat of clean solder applied before final assembly. After two hours of work, I got it all put back together and it worked! Yaaay! Here are before and after pics. The arrow on the left is the up volume switch. In the Before pic, you can see the switch (which came clean off) sitting loosely just above where it should be, for reference. 

Before Repair

before repair

After Repair

After Repair

Also, if anyone has a black 8 gig with this specific problem only and can't be bothered to go through all the work or $ to fix, and you will just be throwing it out, you could send it to me... :-) I'll pay postage and I would love to have an 8 gig. (I wouldn't do the repair to send back, there are too many possible complications)

Message Edited by krom on 06-14-2009 04:06 PM
Message Edited by krom on 06-14-2009 04:12 PM
Message Edited by krom on 06-14-2009 04:16 PM
Message Edited by krom on 06-16-2009 10:42 PM
Message Edited by krom on 06-16-2009 10:43 PM
SanDisk Fanatic

The ones I've seen are not cold solder. The upper board pad was not pre-tinned at all so the only solder that existed was the pre-tin on the component. This is a no-no for reflow soldering. Not enough solder on the connection, so it fails mechanically.

Note also that dull looking solder joints are quite normal for lead-free solder used nowdays. They should be shiny, chrome looking for lead type solder, but may not be for lead-free.

8GB Blue FUZE w/The Original DIY Lineout Cable and AT Button H-Phones Fitted To AT WM5 Headband:All Custom Built

[ Edited ]

Hi there.

My daughter has one of these and also has a problem with the volume button.I was going to open it up to have a look inside but how on earth do I get it open!

Many thanks for any help given.

David

Message Edited by davedee_1 on 07-05-2009 05:14 AM
SanDisk Guru

The reason you can't figure out how to do it is the Clip is not made to be opened.  Some have pried the 2 halves (top and bottom) apart, carefully starting at one of the openings.

Volume UP control stopped working, but after getting a glimpse of the Sandisk insides posted earlier, decided to try a repair.

The clamshell needs to be carefully pried apart.  Used a mini flathead screwdriver around the seam.  The guilty volume control immediately fell out upon opening, indicating a poor solder connection to the circuit board.

Pulled the lithium battery away from the board for easier access.  It's secured only by sticky tape.

I have neither the confidence nor the right tools for soldering such a tiny pair of connections, where the volume control button assembly sits on top of them.  However, tried this idea, and it worked:

Placed two tiny strips of aluminum foil on the board contacts to insure contact, then GLUED the button assembly down holding them in place.

Used a tiny dab of a strong glue in the center where its two tabs position the button assembly on the board, (I used Locktite) clamped it down, and let it cure.  Tested, and all buttoms worked properly.  Re-assembly was fairly easy.  Just make sure the exterior volume control rocker is in place in it's shell before snapping the two clamshell halves back together.

I had the same issue with a broken up volume button and fixed it the same way as Home Engineerl, with the sight difference that I used Krazy Glue to reattach the swithch and skipped the aluminum foil.  So far it's holding together. 

SanDisk Guru

@paladin1420 wrote:

I had the same issue with a broken up volume button and fixed it the same way as Home Engineerl, with the sight difference that I used Krazy Glue to reattach the swithch and skipped the aluminum foil.  So far it's holding together. 

Thanks for the report--good to hear and know!   Smiley Happy