Highlighted

locking up

My clip is only a few months old & is locking up - hard to turn on or off. Battery is charged, I tried resetting for 20 sec, no luck. Any ideas? Are these things prone to malfunctioning? Thanks.

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

Re: locking up

Define "locking up".

Highlighted

pressing the on/off button doesn't turn it on or off

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

The on/off button is pretty stiff. If it's in a skin case or something you may really have to squeeze it down to hold it down.

Look at a watch and hold it down tightly for a full 30 seconds. If you want to listen through headphones you'll hear a little click some seconds after it goes black. That's the reset. 

It's also possible there is something wedged in the button itself. Have you taken a close look? 

Beyond that, a firmware reload often solves inexplicable problems.  The firmware for Clip and Clip + are in the sticky threads at the top of the page. Use the Manual method, not the updater.

Highlighted

No case...this just started...30 sec hold turned it on & now I can't turn it off. I'll try the firmware. This happened with an old clip I had & after extensive troubleshooting they sent me a refurbished one.

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

If the switch has broken then replacement is probably the only solution.

But what if the switch is just obstructed? Do you have a hairdryer that you can just run as a blower without heat? Maybe you could aim that at the switch to see it could blow out any dust or particles that got in there.  Don't use heat, obviously. 

Highlighted

Thanks I can give it a try. However the switch works sometimes & not others.

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

@Paresh wrote:

No case...this just started...30 sec hold turned it on & now I can't turn it off.

You need to hold the power button for 30 secs. to reset it while it's on. It should turn off after only a few seconds, but continue holding the button for the full count.

A momentary press of the power button should turn it on. A press of approx. 2 secs. should turn it off. Any longer than that and you'll engage the LOCK and have to press it again to UNLOCK it.