issue with 64 card

thanks for the advice

i will test further when i’m home. i  cannot let windows format it cause it needs to be fat32 (which windows cant)

so either its a faulty card or the taggs causing the problems or the class10 is not suitable , at least i’m aware now

about the taggs

, can you tell me more about it? i never bothered with tags, are those the so called meta data of the file? can i figure out if  the tag is trouble, what do i have to look for? where can i see the tags?

i have one specific folder that never shows up, maybe i can spot the tags and see whats wrong…

about class 10

• i googled and only class 10 cards come up , are there class4 cards at all in this size?

i just thought

i dont really need any kinda tag, is there a way to get rid of them all? in that case they would not cause any issues right?

@baracus wrote:

i just thought

i dont really need any kinda tag, is there a way to get rid of them all? in that case they would not cause any issues right?

YOU may not, but the player does. And Sansa players are extremely picky about ID3 tags. They have to be the correct format (ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1) and not be loaded up with large, embedded cover art images or foreign or strange characters or fields filled in that the player doesn’t read anyway. So no, it wouldn’t be a good idea to delete the tags; it would be a better idea to edit them so the player can read them.

ok so i have to sit down and go through all of them with an editor tool or so , will it show me also the format id3 /iso?

I don’t think you need to worry about the tags until you’ve verified that the card isn’t counterfeit. Given what you’ve described its pretty likely that you’ve been ripped off.

is there a way to know or verify?

says samsung in the frong “made in taiwan” on the back

@baracus wrote:

_ is there a way to know or verify? _

says samsung in the frong “made in taiwan” on the back

Yes, follow Black-Rectangle’s advice above and click on the link he provided for software that will test the card for authenticity and/or defects.

turns out after testing with the tool its defective card, the test result say it can only write to 6gb and that its most probably defective. too bad i thought i could get away updating with buying a cheap card, well they refunded me instantly without even sending the item back

i gotta buy a sandisk card now i guess

Glad you got it straightened out and got a refund. Just know that while prices are good on eBay, there’s an awful lot of counterfeit.fake cards being sold there. So it’s not advised to purchase any memory cards off anyone selling them on eBay.

too late i just got it today (from ebay seller)

which is a good internet store then? i just use ebay or even amazon for most of my stuff

btw i wanted to verify … the tags are not NECESSARILY needed by the player right? i could delete all of them if i wanted to ( in that case just not having the information on the player display most of the time right?)

Tons of fakes on ebay. I would never buy from there. Newegg is a good choice. Amazon too, but only Amazon itself, not its resellers (which are many of the same people selling on ebay).

@saratoga wrote:
Tons of fakes on ebay. I would never buy from there. Newegg is a good choice. Amazon too, but only Amazon itself, not its resellers (which are many of the same people selling on ebay).

Altho at least Amazon has good protection for buyers through its Marketplace protection policies. 

@baracus wrote:

btw i wanted to verify … the tags are not NECESSARILY needed by the player right? i could delete all of them if i wanted to ( in that case just not having the information on the player display most of the time right?)

No, ID3 tags are crcuial to the correct operation of these players. You delete them and you’ll be having even more problems.

well lets see, so far the new card works like a dream !

i used the tool mp3tag to delete SOME specific tags batchwise of all 10.000tracks (like covers etc and some obscure categories)

does not seem to have any issues, i have not yet updated the database, that ll take a long time

Good! Just be aware (if you’re not already) that the Clip+ (I assume you have this since you posted in this board but didn’t specify) has a database limitation of (officially) +/- 8,000 tracks. In the real world however, many start seeing problems around the 5,000 track mark.

well db limitation is  one thing i never had issues with to be honest- even with the 32 gb that i had before i had close to 9000 tracks (using rockbox) without any problems (even without doing anything about tags, and i have mp3 from all kinds of sources),

i had more troubles with say database updating in the past, eg… now that i have a new card , i should rather INITILIAZE DATABASE as opposed to UPDATING DATABASE right? i never figured there was a huge difference , i used both update options and never saw much different, how long would it take to update 10000tracks ?

edit: to be more specific - i had times in the past where updating the database wrecked the whole data on the card , one guess of mine was that i somehow disrupted the updating process by turning the player off or do other stuff, since there is no way of telling when the update is complete i just playback a whole folder of music so that the player will never shutdown for hours and then leave the player untouched for a couple of hours…

worked out, 10000+ tracks in the database now

@baracus wrote:

well db limitation is  one thing i never had issues with to be honest- even with the 32 gb that i had before i had close to 9000 tracks (using rockbox) without any problems (even without doing anything about tags, and i have mp3 from all kinds of sources),

I don’t recall you mentioning this little tidbit of information. :confounded:

It would have been nice so I didn’t waste my time trying to advise and help you on something that wasn’t (as it now turns out) pertinent.

well i figured many ppl use rockbox and its very common these days (so no need to mention any more ) but maybe i’m wrong what do i know

btw i just see you can open a txt file on it (w/ rockbox that is) can you edit it too?

@baracus wrote:

well i figured many ppl use rockbox and its very common these days (so no need to mention any more ) but maybe i’m wrong what do i know

As the OF and Rockbox work very differently, it is always beneficial for anyone trying to diagnose or help someone with a problem to specify which you are using. Since this is a SanDisk forum, it is normally (and naturally)  assumed people are referring to the OF unless they state otherwise. Obviously, the reverse would be true when one posts on the Rockbox forum, or in a specifuc Rockbox-dedicated board at the Anythingbutipod forum.

Foof for future thought . . . it’s always better to give more information than what you may think is needed, rather than not enough. That only creates more unnecessary back-and-forth and wastes everyone’s time. :wink:

Glad things worked out for you anyway. Enjoy!