iPod touch: and so, where's the microSD slot?!?

@miikerman wrote:

And so, was given an Apple iPod touch over the holidays, and my first reaction was:  it’s nice, but where’s the microSD card slot for expansion?!?  I’m sure it’s a nice player and that the apps will be fun; but, c’mon.

Thanks, SanDisk, for adding a card slot to the Clip line!  

Let's be realistic here....some Touch owners don't even load much of their own music, because of the Pandora and Slacker Radio apps....I know several people IRL that do this. That's not how I would use one, but to each his own. I'm guessing you must have gotten one of the 8GB models, to have posted the bit about the lack of card slot....I would cheerfully trade you one of my 8GB Fuzes for it!:wink:

Congrats on the iTouch, Miikerman…that’s a very nice Christmas gift.  I’d imagine it wouldn’t cost Apple that much to implement a microSD card slot into their products; SanDisk does it, admirably well, and their players remain among the cheapest on the market.

My brother got a 64GB 3G iTouch a while back and he loves it, but I found that it doesn’t sound as nice as my Clip+.  Yet, he doesn’t care and is happy anyway.  And I suppose, that’s what really matters…

@miikerman wrote:

And so, was given an Apple iPod touch over the holidays, and my first reaction was:  it’s nice, but where’s the microSD card slot for expansion?!?  I’m sure it’s a nice player and that the apps will be fun; but, c’mon.

Thanks, SanDisk, for adding a card slot to the Clip line!  

And your point is?  Apple has plenty of models of differing capacity to suit most of it’s customers.  Too bad you were given a small capacity unit…maybe you weren’t that good in 2010 to deserve a 64GB model like I was…

Card slots (for me) are far more valuable on paper than in the real world.  Frankly, they are a PITA…but to each their own.  The last thing I want to do when I’m trying to listen to music or my favorite podcasts, is to putz around with swapping cards.  64GB is plenty of storage for most occasions for the way I use players.  In those cases where I want more content, I can always turn to my 160GB Classic or Archos 250GB units.

Granted, when I first got my Sansas, I thought the card slots were a cool idea…the operative word being idea.  The thought and idea of them far outweigh their true usefullness in actual practice.

Too bad you are less than thrilled with your Touch.  I love mine and certainly am glad that Santa thought I deserved a 64GB model.

Actually, I’m very happy with the gift/player, and look forward to using it for the apps side and having music on it.  But it was interesting to me that I kept on thinking when I got it, but where’s the slot?  An easy way to expand the memory by a tidy 16GB at limited expense ($20-$25 or less, at this point)–an extra 16GB always is nice to have.   :wink:

And yep, part of the marketing strategy by Apple, I believe–why allow users to buy their own memory and expand their players when you can get them to buy a new player instead?  Part of the Apple strategy of a new player a year (as Steve stated publicly, once–consumerism run rampant)–I remember reading years ago of features that the company already had developed but only wanted to trickle on out, to spur periodic upgrading by comsumers.

A perfect opening for SanDisk, and making me more thankful for the Sansa slot!   :slight_smile:

Go ahead and be thankful for your almighty slot…For me, it makes nary a difference.  Sure, a slot in a Touch would benefit some; but even without a slot, comparing a Clip+ to a Touch is like comparing a bicycle to a Cadillac. 

Let’s think this through…Would I rather have a Clip+ and have to fuss around with memory cards to get a decent amount of storage…or would I rather just get a Touch that has 64GB on-board with no cards to worry about?  For me, the answer is simple; the Touch wins hands-down.   Not that Sandisk makes bad products, it’s just they have aligned themselves to be seen as budget units.  Apple has never made this claim with it’s products and probably never will.

PS. The bottom line is the main unit has to be of value for the memory expansion to make even the slightest bit of difference.  Again, for me the Touch wins in this battle (if you can even call it that) of Clip+ vs. Touch because the Touch’s main unit is superior for my uses.

@miikerman wrote:

Actually, I’m very happy with the gift/player, and look forward to using it for the apps side and having music on it.  But it was interesting to me that I kept on thinking when I got it, but where’s the slot?  An easy way to expand the memory by a tidy 16GB at limited expense ($20-$25 or less, at this point)–an extra 16GB always is nice to have.   :wink:

And yep, part of the marketing strategy by Apple, I believe–why allow users to buy their own memory and expand their players when you can get them to buy a new player instead?  Part of the Apple strategy of a new player a year (as Steve stated publicly, once–consumerism run rampant)–I remember reading years ago of features that the company already had developed but only wanted to trickle on out, to spur periodic upgrading by comsumers.

A perfect opening for SanDisk, and making me more thankful for the Sansa slot!   :slight_smile:

Of course SanDisk is going to have a slot…they sell memory cards!

I have four of them, but I only have cards for two of them…16GB ones. I would like a 32GB one, and even though I do have enough money to get one, I won’t for a while because they are over-priced. At this point, I’m more likely to save up for a 32GB Touch than to buy a 32GB microsdhc card (for 4x the cost of a 16GB) :stuck_out_tongue:

I can consider myself lucky.  I don’t have to worry about cost of a particular player/unit.  If it serves my needs, that’s all I care about.  I probably would have gotten a 64GB Touch, even if it were double the price.

@miikerman wrote:

Congrats on getting an ipod touch.  It’s certainly loaded with features and I agree that having a micro card slot could only improve it even more.  

IMO, in addition to what you mentioned in your post, Apple wouldn’t add in a card slot because they want more consumers to pay for the larger capacity models.   If I were looking to purchase an ipod touch, and it had a micro card slot, I would only buy the 8 gb model since I have a 32gb card, instead of going for the 32gb or even the 64gb one, which would result in a loss of profit for Apple.

mags1230 wrote:

Miikerman wrote:

Congrats on getting an ipod touch.  It’s certainly loaded with features and I agree that having a micro card slot could only improve it even more.  

IMO, in addition to what you mentioned in your post, Apple wouldn’t add in a card slot because they want more consumers to pay for the larger capacity models.   If I were looking to purchase an ipod touch, and it had a micro card slot, I would only buy the 8 gb model since I have a 32gb card, instead of going for the 32gb or even the 64gb one, which would result in a loss of profit for Apple.

Well, we should give them credit for being clever businessmen/women, rather than bash them…they still manage to sell more expensive players than Sansa, at a far greater rate, even in the failing economy that we’ve had.

I personally think it would be foolish to buy the 8GB, rather than spend a little more for the 32GB model. Now I know the cynics out there are going to chime in with, “that’s because Apple wants you to buy a more expensive player”, but I’d be willing to bet the 8GB model is their biggest seller, regardless. The great unwashed masses out there aren’t concerned with carrying around their entire library of music, like many of us are…but they like cool toys. And even the 8GB Touch could still hold quite a few songs in 128kbps m4a format (which actually sounds surprisingly good for the size). :dizzy_face:

Which Touch will I end up with, the 32GB or the 64GB? I don’t know…depends on how my personal economy goes over the next couple months, and how patient I am. But I will be buying one.:stuck_out_tongue:

I’m pretty active on the ilounge forums and the talk is that the 8GB Touch(for most users) is not too popular simply because of it’s lack of storage.  By the time you get your favorite apps loaded, there really isn’t much room for much else.  For people not in the know, or are gift giving, the 8GB probably sells reasonably well…For more savvy or former iPod users, the larger capacity models are preferred.

Well, if the 8GB touch is selling well, it’s likely the cost of the more capacious–these things are not inexpensive.

And really, comparing the $45 Clip (8GB) to the $200 touch?  Isn’t that like comparing a VW Beetle to a decked-out Jaguar?  And even then, the touch can’t compare to the small handiness of the Clip (and the sound?).  They’re simply different beasts entirely.

@miikerman wrote:

Well, if the 8GB touch is selling well, it’s likely the cost of the more capacious–these things are not inexpensive.

And really, comparing the $45 Clip (8GB) to the $200 touch?  Isn’t that like comparing a VW Beetle to a decked-out Jaguar?  And even then, the touch can’t compare to the small handiness of the Clip (and the sound?).  They’re simply different beasts entirely.

If comparing the Clip+ to a Touch is an unfair comparison, the only one to blame for starting said comparison is you! :stuck_out_tongue: You started the thread, here in the Clip/Clip+ board, rather than say, the Anything Goes board, which would seem more appropriate.

There are people out there who think the Touch sounds better than the Clip+. I haven’t had the chance to compare them fairly…the one time I got to play with a Touch for a few minutes, I found out it was loaded with lossy –>lossy transcodes, from 160 down to 128, so as to be able to fit more songs. So even though I had some of the same songs on my Clip+, my files were not downsized. I do, however, look forward to the chance to compare in the future.

@miikerman wrote:

Your opinions, and very biased ones at that…:smileyvery-happy:

For me, the clip or clip+ is practically useless because it’s too small to be operated in an effecient manner with my large hands.  I’ve got players from all the major makers and the Touch sounds every bit as good as any of them, including Sansa products.

But you are right, there is no one perfect player for everyone.  If someone were to give me a Clip series player, I would either have to find it a good home or try to exchange it for a player that I would actually use.

PS. For my uses, I think my comparison of a Clip+ to a Touch is more accurate (from an earlier post in this thread)…

Go ahead and be
thankful for your almighty slot…For me, it makes nary a difference. 
Sure, a slot in a Touch would benefit some; but even without a slot,
comparing a Clip+ to a Touch is like comparing a bicycle to a Cadillac. 

Actually, my opinions aren’t biased at all, apart from appreciating well thought out technology–I have and use a variety of DAPs. 

And I wasn’t comparing players originally, just noting how marvelous, in my opinion, it is to have the microSD slot in the Clip+, and how it really should be implemented more universally.

You folks need to lighten up some for the New Year–have a good one!   :slight_smile:

Actually, my opinions aren’t biased at all, apart from appreciating well thought out technology–I have and use a variety of DAPs. 

And MM, I wasn’t comparing players originally, just noting how marvelous, in my opinion, it is to have the microSD slot in the Clip+, and how it really should be implemented more universally.

Have a good New Year, folks; out.  

@miikerman wrote:

Actually, my opinions aren’t biased at all , apart from appreciating well thought out technology–I have and use a variety of DAPs. 

And MM, I wasn’t comparing players originally, just noting how marvelous, in my opinion, it is to have the microSD slot in the Clip+, and how it really should be implemented more universally.

Have a good New Year, folks; out.  

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha…Now theres a good laugh for today.  Just admit it…you are a Clip fan boi…Even if the plus didn’t have a card slot, you would make up some excuse to make appologies in Sandisk’s behalf why it really isn’t needed for a player of that size.

It’s fine that you have opinions, but other people have them too.  Just because you think that a card slot is such a wonderful thing, doesn’t mandate that I should think the same way.

Thanks for your continued opinions.  Not a “fan boi” here, apart from appreciating good technology and implementation, whatever the source, as I said before.  (You don’t seem to follow that; and I’m not asking you to accept my opinions.)  In fact, I now even own an Apple iPod touch …

And for what the Clip originally was, I actually don’t think it needs a microSD slot (and I still use my original, slot-less Clip).  Although I’m glad it does, resulting in a handy, good-sounding, cute and small 24GB (with swappable memory) player/FM radio/recorder for under $75, that I tend to reach for over my other players.  And for what the Clip has become, I think the slot is super.

(On a side note:  I always find it intriguing when someone who doesn’t like a product avidly posts at a forum dedicated to the product–I’ve never understood that.  Ah, well–I’m outta here.)

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha…

I love messing with you because you never can leave a thread alone…How many times are you going to be outta here?

Just to open up some imaginations about card slot usage … 

Besides serving as adjunct music storage, here are my other actual uses:

1. audio on a card taken directly from a radio recorder (Pogo Radio YourWay LX or CC Witness).
  2. video on a card taken directly from a Sandisk V-mate video recorder.
  3. public library audiobooks’ external storage (they don’t expire, so why not get them while they’re available and put them on cheap removable storage rather than fill up valuable internal storage?)

I do all three of the above on my Sansa Connect.  The Fuze doesn’t do #1 well (it doesn’t resume files untagged Podcast/Audiobook or unstored in Podcasts/Audiobooks), and doesn’t do #2 (I haven’t yet found a V-mate video format that the Fuze supports). 

I also run an internet radio recording app, Radiotracker 6, for about three hours at a time to collect music of a particular genre.  I prefer to segregate that music onto a card, to easily locate a recording session/genre (for easy deletion of songs I don’t like.

I do these things on the Fuze, Connect, and other MP3 players with slots, and a PDA, and a PSP Go.  With a slotless Touch, it’s no longer “pop in a card and go,” but rather going through the intermediaries of a PC and iTunes (including waiting for format conversion).

Ah, let’s stir this pot a wee bit.

I had a thought after reading “comparing a bicycle to a Cadillac”.

Okay then, read this page about expensive bicycles.  Granted, there may be some really nice Cadillacs out there (I will completely forego that rebadged GMC truck called the “Escalade” from my list, what a horrible tank!), but it boils down to personal preferences, I think.

Each player has its strong attributes, and its weaknesses.  Regarding the Touch, it’s an interesting beast, to say the least.  The big display, a nice expanse of real glass, is nice to work with.  But let’s look at the whole machine, shall we?  It’s an _ iPhone with a whole collection of bits and pieces (the phone section) robbed from the device. _ Hardly an innovation, just a different set of components.

My hat’s off to Apple, who have convinced folks it’s handy to place a huge device against the side of one’s head, making it fashionable to have a device reminiscent of this thing (hey, I had one back in the day too!):

Hey, while I’m in rant mode, I have two friends with broken face glass panels, on the new iPhone 4- is this going to be common?  It’s just under $200 to fix this, holey moley!

I actually do like the overall design of the new Apples, but have strong reservation with the “device for the masses” marketing hoopla that follows all things Apple.  Sorry, I cannot be yet one more of the lemmings running for that cliff, or giving an impromptu interview with the local news, explaining why I was camped out all night at the Apple store.  You can’t sling “fan boi” out there when these guys exist, now that’s dedication, I guess.  It’s something pretty hard to quantify, to say the least.

If the Touch is your cup-o-tea, I can’t fault your choice, it’s a nice machine.  I prefer coffee, incidentally.  And a smaller device.  Then again, what do I know?  I also prefer a basic Nokia with two simple red and green call and end buttons.  If it’s going to be a phone, especially a radiotelephone, sound quality and RF performance are my criteria. 

I think I’m more turned off by Steve Jobs’ performance than Apple’s devices.  Talk about eccentric.  The iPhone demo where he got a little hissy over having a clean WiFi connection was a case in point, now that was good stuff.  Later, the embroglio over the “lost” prototype that wandered over to Gizmodo was, well…

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue: