feature requests: no duplicates and folder navigation

I think the clip is fantastic, but there are two thinks I realy would like to see in an upcomming firmware:

1. Do not show duplicate files

Sometimes I put a complete cd on my clip and also have a special song in a mixed-songs directory (I put a m3u playlist in that directory in order to play them). However, when I want to play the complete cd, the song is listed two times. What I would like to see is the following: After putting new songs on the clip the database is updated. I think this database is based on id3-information only. So if two songs have the same id3-information and the same file length, one of them is skipped. So, after updating the database there will only be one instance of the song in the database.

2. Allow folder navigation

I think this has already been implemented for the fuze. If folder navigation is possible, there would be no need to create a playlist for esch mixed-songs directory.

What do you think? I hope some sansa-developer is reading this also.

Juergen 

Why not just avoid duplicate tracks?  You file will work in a playlist no matter where it is, and the song will still show up in the list for the album and artist as long as the tags are correct.

@summerlove wrote:
Why not just avoid duplicate tracks?  You file will work in a playlist no matter where it is, and the song will still show up in the list for the album and artist as long as the tags are correct.

Ok, that would be possible. But its cumberstone: I need to keep track of all duplicates by myself. If I delete them in the album-directory, I would have to add them again, when the mix-directory is erased. If I delete them in the mix-directory, I would need to manually change the m3u-File (at the moment I create automated playlist for whole directories). And I would have to add them again, when the album-directory is removed after some time.

So, handling would be much simpler, when the clip finds and drops duplicates automatically, when the database is build.

Juergen 

you’re definitely far form being the only one who asked for this… i really hope they’re working on it. That (along with accelerated cyrillic characters reading) would make it a completely perfect player for me.

Instead of creating a folder with your mix, just create a playlist with Winamp. It will be the same drag and drop thing, but you won’t be duplicating any single file (not even in your PC). Then, if you drag and drop the playlist (still within Winamp) to your Clip, Winamp will take care of not duplicating anything and putting the files with the adecuate folder structure (by the way, how you arrange your folder structure is completely irrelevant to the Clip).

You can do it with Windows Media Player as well, but then it’ll have to be in MTP mode and I don’t know if you’re going to like it. 

Edit: Maybe I’m wrong and you can also do it with WMP in MSC mode; I just don’t know. But I do know that Winamp can handle both modes.

Message Edited by porio on 06-11-2009 11:27 AM

@porio wrote:

Instead of creating a folder with your mix, just create a playlist with Winamp. It will be the same drag and drop thing, but you won’t be duplicating any single file (not even in your PC). Then, if you drag and drop the playlist (still within Winamp) to your Clip, Winamp will take care of not duplicating anything and putting the files with the adecuate folder structure (by the way, how you arrange your folder structure is completely irrelevant to the Clip).

You can do it with Windows Media Player as well, but then it’ll have to be in MTP mode and I don’t know if you’re going to like it. 

Message Edited by porio on 06-11-2009 11:27 AM

Ok, this way maybe also possible (I dont know winamp, as I use linux). But the problem remains: What, if I decide to erase the complete album after one month? The playlist will point to a missing song. Or, if I put a new mix containing song ‘A’ on my clip and after one month I add the complete album with song ‘A’? In any case, I have to keep track of this myself.

I dont say ‘droping duplictes’ is essential, but it would be a very convenient feature.

Juergen

@struct wrote:

What, if I decide to erase the complete album after one month? The playlist will point to a missing song.

In this case I’m not sure what will happen. But then if you drag and drop the playlist again, everything will be fine (as long as you do all the operations within Winamp).

@struct wrote:

Or, if I put a new mix containing song ‘A’ on my clip and after one month I add the complete album with song ‘A’? In any case, I have to keep track of this myself.

In this case I can tell you that there will be no duplicates at all; I do this all the time. Again, this is as long as you let Winamp ‘take control’ of the process. However, if you are using linux obviously you can’t use Winamp!!  There has to be some ‘Jukebox’ or media player software for linux with the ability of synching/managing USB devices. Or not?

Regards

Patricio.

What, if I decide to erase the complete album after one month? The playlist will point to a missing song.

I don’t think so. I own a sansa fuze and I already deleted a song that was also in a playlist once. I just won’t show up in it on your clip. The playlists just show songs that are where you told them that they are.

Or, if I put a new mix containing song ‘A’ on my clip and after one month I add the complete album with song ‘A’? In any case, I have to keep track of this myself

Then just don’t re-add the song A on the new album. if the tags of the first one were put correctly, whenever you scroll by artist or album you will find it with the other song from that album but it will still be in the playlist your previously created.

@paul_willy wrote:

I don’t think so. I own a sansa fuze and I already deleted a song that was also in a playlist once. I just won’t show up in it on your clip. The playlists just show songs that are where you told them that they are.

But I want the song to stay in the playlist, only the complete album should be erased. But the the song will be gone, if its only instance was in the complete album and I remove the album. 

Or, if I put a new mix containing song ‘A’ on my clip and after one month I add the complete album with song ‘A’? In any case, I have to keep track of this myself

Then just don’t re-add the song A on the new album. if the tags of the first one were put correctly, whenever you scroll by artist or album you will find it with the other song from that album but it will still be in the playlist your previously created.

Its clear that this would work. But when putting an album on my clip I dont want to to think about the question ‘is one of the songs already on the clip in a playlist?’

My feature request was just to make life with the clip easier. When copying songs and albums to the clip I dont like checking for duplicates by myself. I could do that but wouldnt it be better, if the clip does it for me?

Juergen

Hi,

I’m not quite certain that I followed up, regarding the playlist issue, but I have the same problem (so I think). I just copy files and directories to my sansa clip, and then realize after a while, that all songs that have been played by the sansa clip, somehow duplicate themselved to the root directory of the device, while creating a folder with the name of the artists.

Is that the same problem? If that is, I would appreciate some feedback regarding how it was solved.

Cheers,

Sagi