convert m4a files to mp3 format

I just loaded several audio books onto my mac computer and didn’t realized they were in m4a format until I put them on my new **bleep** sansa clip.  

Is there a way to convert the files I’ve put on the computer (itunes) into mp3 without getting back all the cd’s and reloading them onto my computer (this time being sure that the encoder is set to mp3)?

I’ve looked through the forums but haven’t understood all the answers… 

thanks for the help

loveopera

iTunes will do that for you. Depending on which version if iTunes you have, there are different ways to do it. But here’s a step-by-step guide that may help you.

The part you want to look at first on the tutorial is way down: Converting.

Then go back to the beginning and fix your importing preferences.

Thank you, Tapeworm.  It took me a bit of looking around since my version of iTunes is different from the one on the step by step, but IT WORKED!  That sved me from getting back all the CDs and re-entering them.  

Now another question.  When the conversion was done, there were 2 copies of each of the chapters of the book - the “apple” version and the MP3 version.  Is there a way to prevent the duplication?  Not complaining, just asking.  

Thanks again, loveopera

They’re not really duplicates. They’re copies in different formats–like translations.

I don’t use Mac. But if you go into the album folder, is there a heading for file type? You should be able to click the header, group by filetype and delete the m4a files. Make sure you have Import Settings ripping directly to mp3 from now on, too.

Thank you Black Retangle, I worked on this problem yesterday and discovered how I could group by filetype (kind on a mac) and was able to delete the unwanted files.  

Thanks again to everyone who helped me with this.

Solution 1 use iTunes to convert M4A files to MP3 format

Solution 2 use a M4A to MP3 Converter to convert M4A to MP3.

Here is the step by step guide on how to use the above two solutions at http://www.idealshare.net/audio-converter/convert-m4a-to-mp3-on-mac-windows.html