clip+ - is the internal memory faster than using a card?

If its faster to read off the internal memory, i guess I’ll get teh 2gb one

can you play files off of both areas and have it act as one? I guess that would do like artist, because you wouldnt be able to do folder with both or can you (if they have the same folder name?

The external card could read faster if it is a faster speed than the internal memory, but that won’t make any difference for playing–just for loading the card.

The Clip’s database integrates the files on the internal and external memory, for your playing.  If you play by folder, though, there is no integration of the internal and external memory–just like if the files were on your computer. 

so getting a higher class microsd card wouldnt speed up the time it takes for it to do its refresh? I guess not since its just reading it, hmm, then there is no advantage to getting a 8gb clip+ i might as well get teh 2gb and get a big card

@s0me0ne wrote:

so getting a higher class microsd card wouldnt speed up the time it takes for it to do its refresh?

That’s correct. The higher Class cards are built mainly for digital cameras, so one can snap off a series of pictures in rapid succession without having to wait for the card to catch up. They provide a minimal time savings when loading music files onto the card, but most people don’t load the card up in one session, but more commonly a few albums at a time. When doing it this way, I doubt you’re going to see any significant reduction in loading time.

@s0me0ne wrote:

hmm, then there is no advantage to getting a 8gb clip+ i might as well get teh 2gb and get a big card

There’s a BIG advantage to gettiing the 8GB over the 2GB player! 6 more GB of storage. Most people’s music library is not static; it is forever growing. With the larger size, you don’t have to be concerned with having to remove something already on there in order to fit that new CD you got for Christmas (in the future).

But if you don’t think you’d ever use that much space, think again. Even if you don’t expect to amass huge quantities of music, you can use all that space to rip your music to a higher-quality format (either higher bit-rate MP3, FLAC or OGG) so that the small amount of music you do have is of the highest sound quality. These files take up more room.

Personally, I wouldn’t bother with a player with less than 4GB of internal storage, even with a memory card expansion slot. But pick what you feel best suits your needs. :wink:

Note that the Clip+ only records to its internal memory–and so if you’re going to be recording to your Clip+, a potential reason to get one with a larger internal memory.

I agree that our needs tend to grow over time–getting a larger internal memory initially can be a good thing later on.  But only you know your own uses and needs. 

I note that I do notice a difference in the loading time with my Clip+ comparing a Class 4 microsSD card and a Class 2 card (I can’t say as to the refresh time–I didn’t focus on that).  And so if I had an option of a faster microsSD card at around the same price, of course I would take it.  But given the relatively small amount of time that one spends in loading files (and a larger number of files) onto the card, I wouldn’t spend any greater amount of money to get a faster speed card or have that stop me from getting a greater capacity of internal memory, which I personally think is a good thing to have–it allows you to grow your player over time.

Thanks for the info, I put in my order today :slight_smile:

My walkman mp3 player died on me and no way am I gonna pay a lot of money for one again. 2gb is fine, I got a 32gb card to hold the audio

Wow–a 32GB card. Good for you! :slight_smile: