Wishlist

This is my first post, so Hello Everybody.

Now, I think that it would be a good idea, to create a Sansa Clip Firmware Wishlist.
I would like you to post anything (possible), you would like to see in the next fw versions.
And I would beg you guys at Sandisk to listen to, what the people say :slight_smile:

As for me:

• Ogg support. Come on, the license is free, the SoC supports it, so what’s the problem to add it? Especially that the Clip is gaining respect in the Hi-Fi community.
  • Volume fix (yeah, I know it was mentioned about a thousand times)
  • Describing the eq bars (which bar boosts which frequency)
  • 2 user eq’s
  • Better FM auto-scan

BTW. I think, you should see FreemattandGrace.Com :slight_smile:

Message Edited by Kilar_Ezan on 01-12-2008 01:00 PM

The volume issue will be fixed with the next firmware release, in a couple of weeks. As for the other things you mentioned, I honestly don’t know.

I’d say, by decreasing order of importance:

• gap-less reading - oh  yes!
  • minimum sound volume fix (it’s on the way, so we could ignore it)
  • several profiles: a profile would include all power/display/sound settings (to quickly switch between listening modes like: sport, outdoor, indoor, in bed by night) or several EQ slots
  • EQ to apply to radio (might not matter when minimum sound volume will be fixed)
  • date/time display (clock)
  • radio: naming saved frequencies
  • ogg support

I’m not the first person to mention this, but I’ll throw my request out there for some sort of bookmarking or a per-track pause/resume feature.  This would make the player much more friendly for us audiobook users.

Other than that, I love my little Clip!  Thanks!

Message Edited by emarkd on 01-14-2008 10:28 AM

1.) Expanded codec support (yes, OGG-Vorbis!)
2.) Clock / calendar - the new SOC supports a RTC so this should be possible
3.) Dovetailed with #2 - TIMED WAKE AND FM RECORDING!!! So we can catch our favorite show, live simulcast, etc. This would differentiate the Clip from any DAP I’m aware of.
4.) OGG encoding for FM and voice recording and selectable bitrate / stereo-mono
5.) Some free, multi-platform softwares loaded on the device (ala U3 flash drives but NOT U3) for tagging, mebbe the usermanual, etc. - and a LINK TO THIS FORUM :slight_smile:
6.) Expanded “press&hold” functionality, such as one button voice / FM recording. This is a great opportunity to immensely improve a feature which is languishing at the moment…

I like 3.  OGG encoding is better than no encoding!  I say that because radio has ■■■■ quality anyway…

Number 4 is cool because it’s basically an tivo for mp3.  I don’t know how Sandisk couldn’t be drooling all over that feature, especially if it’s never been in another player.

I have one wish, and that is for file folder management rather than all this convoluted artist/album stuff. Doesn’t seem like it’d be too difficult. They already put in USB file transfer (rather than media transfer). You can do it!

One-button voice recording (Or some combination of buttons…just so’s we dont have to go through the menus to record!)

Make all five EQ positions user defineable(user customizable).

Folder recognition would be awesome! (But I can l;ive without it)

Not much else I can think of…it’s a great little player already. One of the best sounding on the market.

Oh, one more thing, for “next time”, as this is a Hardware Wish - make the detachable clip able to be mounted at 180 degrees from the current position (user’s choice). Sometimes it is preferable to view the display as right side up (EDIT - clarifying here - with the display facing INWARD to protect against scratches/damage) when the Clip is hanging off the bottom of a sweatshirt, etc. and sometimes it’s better, well, the way it is now. No biggie but it WOULD be “better”.

Seems like molding in two opposing bosses on the back cover would work out OK with the existing clip…

Message Edited by Click on 01-16-2008 04:24 PM

“Oh, one more thing”  LOL 

Click = Steve Jobs?

I’m not sure that these are hardware upgrades we’re looking at here beyond the last post but a 90 degree clip might be useful for a beltloop.

You know what would make the Clip REALLY perfect? A user-replaceable battery! In fact, I’d be happy if Sansa would make another model with the exact same specs as the clip, but which was large enough to just accept rechargeable AAA batteries!

I’m really tempted to buy the new 4GB Clip, in addition to the 2GB which I just bought…but the only thing that makes me hesitate is the non-replaceable battery…we just don’t know how long these things are gonna last- and when they croak…bye-bye Clip. (That will be a sad day!)

Not sure this is the right place for this post, if there’s a better place feel free to re-direct me.

Has anyone found a car adapter for their Clip they can recommend? I’ve seen the one on the Sansa Clip webpage, but the reviews suggest it’s a great car charger but poor player via FM reception.

One annoying thing I’ve noticed today.
When you have every album of one artist in mp3 or wma the database works fine, but when you have one artist’s albums in both formats, the Clip gets a bit lost - it shows 2 artists with the same name.
What I mean is instead of:
->Artist A
   ->Album 1
   ->Album 2
I get
->Artist A
   ->Album 1
->Artist A
   ->Album 2
Fw. 01.01.18F

iRiver has one that has gotten fine reviews as an FM transmitter.

http://www.amazon.com/iRiver-AFT-100-Mobile-Transmitter/dp/B00067LYFW

@oswego-dude

iRiver has an fm transmitter that has gotten fine reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/iRiver-AFT-100-Mobile-Transmitter/dp/B00067LYFW

@cllipman wrote:

You know what would make the Clip REALLY perfect? A user-replaceable battery! In fact, I’d be happy if Sansa would make another model with the exact same specs as the clip, but which was large enough to just accept rechargeable AAA batteries!

I’m really tempted to buy the new 4GB Clip, in addition to the 2GB which I just bought…but the only thing that makes me hesitate is the non-replaceable battery…we just don’t know how long these things are gonna last- and when they croak…bye-bye Clip. (That will be a sad day!)

Battery life should be two to three years, some may get more with lighter usage. The thing may continue to work longer but with shorter operating time, as the battery ages.

Amen to the bookmark request!  I would even be happy if I could turn my clip off and have it save where I left off.  I had a little Express that did that - it was inexpensive but it did what I needed it to do - until my DOG ate it!

I’m having the same issue.  I’ll be interested to see what others have to say

Nice, maybe simple ideas for improvements:

1. Play previous song when on shuffle. Just back-arrow twice (rather than forward), and instead of a new random song get the previous one. I’ve often listened to a song and wanted to hear it again or check its name, and couldn’t because shuffling lost it.

2. Power-saver shutdown. The automatic shutdown is OK, except if you have repeat or shuffle on. If the Clip is playing, it won’t shut down automatically. Add a setting to shut down automatically after X minutes without any button presses. This is an alternative to sleep mode (if you fall asleep with it on, the batteries won’t run out), but doesn’t need to be set each time. Also works to save batteries if you set it down playing and forget it.

3. Save Go list, make a playlist file called Go0001 and so on. The Go List is OK for quick picks but not good for on-the-fly playlists to use later.

>>>Battery life should be two to three years, some may get more with lighter usage. The thing may continue to work longer but with shorter operating time, as the battery ages. <<<<

Not too shabby!- And by that time, the Clip will probably be obsolete anyway! Not a bad deal for the price. Thanks, “Jimmy Durante”!