Windows XP Driver needed?

Hello. I purchased recently a Sansa Clip, and I’m having some problems to use it. When I connect it to a PC, with battery exhausted, it starts to charge the battery, but don’t appear as device connected to the USB. After some minutes (the battery seems a little bit charged), the PC recognizes the device, but it stops charging the battery. Also, although the icon of device connected to USB appears, I don’t have access to the device.

Is any driver for windows XP Service Pack2 needed/available?

Thanks,

Leonardo

You don’t need a driver, but I’m not sure why it would stop charging within minutes if the battery needed to be charged from empty. It’s possible that you have a defective unit.

Leonardo, When you right click on the device and ask for properties, it will show the percent of charge. This will not change, even though the battery is charging until you exit properties then open them again.

I don’t think it needs a driver, but my XP machine wouldn’t see my Clip until I updated from Windows Media Player 10 to Windows Media Player 11. Could that be the issue? Or part of it?

It should always show in ‘My Computer’.

Your sansa clip- what is the firmware level?  This may be a contributing factor.  It may be communicating solely in MTP mode as my clips originally did; they had firmware 1.01.11.

First, on the clip, try Settings>System info. The Sansa Clip has a USB Mode selection option with firmware 1.01.18 and later. If the firmware is the early version, we’ll have to manually use MSC mode.

Plug in your clip, and wait a few moments for the PC to recognize it.  Open “My Computer”, and look for your device in the list.  Does it list under “devices with removable storage”?  It will have a listed ID like Sansa Clip (X: ).  If it is recognized in MTP mode it will show under “other” as Sansa Clip.

As a thought, what does the display of the clip itself say?  It should show “connected” in the yellow section of the display.

The clip likes to have XP/SP2 and WiMP (Windows Media Player) 11, especially if it is a firmware 11 version like I started with.  These wee beasties should communicate with anything, at least in MSC mode (as a memory stick or flash drive).

Let us know how it goes…we’ll be here…

Bob  :wink:

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 02-18-2008 05:41 AM

Also, the Sansa Clip user’s guide states that it needs to be connected to a high-power USB port.  So try changing ports and see if you get different behavior.

That device not to bad, I got the same problems and fix it :

goto menu -> setting -> USB and choose “MSC”  (auto by default, some computers do not run  )

Windows XP SP2. US version

1 Like

Hello to everybody,

I could solve the problem with the update of Windows Media Player to Version 11. It really helped and after the installation, the PC recognizes it and the battery charged without problems.

Thank you very much for your help,

Leonardo

I had a similar problem with my Sansa Clip. I had the Clip plugged into my front USB port while I was reading this forum. After reading others having their problem fixed by installing Windows Media Player 11, I tried doing the same. Immediately after the installation of Windows Media Player 11 completed, Windows XP recognized my Sansa Clip. This worked for me. 

What bothers me is why, after buying Windows XP, am I required to install another Windows program, which I will not use, in order for my other items to work? It seems to me that it is possible that Microsoft is simply trying to require my use of as much of their software as they can. If that’s what’s happening, it’s simply dishonest business. 

WMP is an integral part of using MTP mode.  Installing WMP11 allows your computer to use MTP for this reason.  If you don’t have it, you will need to use MSC mode.  You do not HAVE to get WMP11 for the device to work, you would just have to use it in MSC mode.  It’s not a conspiracy.

Changing the clip´s USB settings to MSC mode definitively fixes the problem. You don´t need WMP 11.

Thanks a lot, guys.

@maxpeto1 wrote:

I had a similar problem with my Sansa Clip. I had the Clip plugged into my front USB port while I was reading this forum. After reading others having their problem fixed by installing Windows Media Player 11, I tried doing the same. Immediately after the installation of Windows Media Player 11 completed, Windows XP recognized my Sansa Clip. This worked for me. 

What bothers me is why, after buying Windows XP, am I required to install another Windows program, which I will not use, in order for my other items to work? It seems to me that it is possible that Microsoft is simply trying to require my use of as much of their software as they can. If that’s what’s happening, it’s simply dishonest business. 

Actually, it’s not MS–it’s SanDisk.  And as others note, you simply can connect in MSC mode and nothing further is needed.

ihadthesameproblem with my clip not charging until i found out my usb port wasn’t installed so i installed it then replugged in my sansa clip and it took after that and i also went from media payer 9 to 10 because i can’t get 11 right now

“goto menu -> setting -> USB and choose “MSC”  (auto by default, some computers do not run  )”

Mine quit working with WinXP after I did a rebuild.  The above fixed it .

• a -

Windows XP is bundled with WiMP 9, which does not support MTP.  Update to WiMP 11 (at least 10) for the MTP system support.

If you reinstall Windows XP, you need to open Windows Media Player, then Help > Check For Updates. 

Bob   :smileyvery-happy:

Hi,

I have a Sansa Clip but my PC sees it as something removable

My PC is crazy, I have Windows XP

Just thought i would share my knowledge of fixing this problem, after a short bit of head scratching.  Check in device manager and see if the device is missing the driver, if it is insert your windows xp home or xp pro disk with service pack 3 built in (may work on older disks not tried).  Right click the device “sansa disk” or something like that select update driver and get the wizard to search the disk for drivers (search automatically)… driver found and working fine for me now without changing the usb mode.  Updated to WMP11 and also tried the other usb mode which worked but that disables the built in software…

JD

Martin @ jwpcomputerservices.com

Message Edited by martin_jwp on 07-24-2009 06:35 AM

where is MSC mode  not understanding this msc mode

i tried looking for it on my computer but to avail! when i got my new this new clip i charged and then swn loaded about 300 songs and then i recharged few days later, little while after i decided to add more on it and said there only 27files in a then up more songs it wmp said it was full! then check it out on clip it  says i have 61 files in now and when i went and tried fill it wmp the clip is full!?  so what is wrong with it?

The Clip will connect to your computer under either of 2 USB connection modes, MSC or MTP.  Can be set on your Clip under its Settings/USB.  Best to consistently use 1 or the other, as your computer will only see files on your Clip that were transferred to your Clip using the USB mode that you then are connected to your computer under.  MTP mode is needed for copy-protected files.