Windows 7 defice information shows battery as always "Critically low"

I got my sansa clip yesterday and plugged it into my computer to charge and add files.  Like the First clip windows 7 shows a nice interface !(file:///C:/Users/Daniel/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png)and all the information on the clip.  But it’s been charging overnight and the battery still shows as critically low.  It shows the charging icon but when I unplug it it shows as being fully charged on the UI.  Here’s a photo of the screen I’m talkign about.

Is this just for the first time or is it a compatibility issue since it just came out.

Others have reported a bug in the battery indication area as well.  Seems to be something needing work on, for a firmware upgrade.  Seemingly, the battery is charged; the indicator is off.  (But you can play and see.)

I just did the firmware upgrade to 1.02.13 on my CLip + 4gb and it also shows Critically Low (0%), even though it has been charging for over an hour and it was up to 30+% before the firmware upgrade.

freelandm wrote:
I just did the firmware upgrade to 1.02.13 on my CLip + 4gb and it also shows Critically Low (0%), even though it has been charging for over an hour and it was up to 30+% before the firmware upgrade.

Try formatting it, and then setting it up to charge again. Just back up anything you have on it before you format it.

My computer periodically shows critically low even though I know it’s almost full.  Just ignore it and look at the display on your player to see where it really is.  You can tell when it’s done charging because the battery icon will stop refilling and will switch to staying on full.  You can also estimate how close the recharge is to finishing by checking how far the charging animation goes down.  When it’s only dropping down to 3/4 full you know it’s almost done.

Mine does the same thing. Shows something like 2%, even though it is nearly fully charged. The free space is accurate, though (combines card and internal). Device Stage is nice, but some part of it needs work. I’m guessing Sandisk end of things. I did re-format my player recently (I ran the MediaMonkey gain thing on all tracks) and re-loaded the player with the newly tagged music. As soon as I plugged in the re-formatted player, it showed “critically low”.

Message Edited by mikem132 on 04-23-2010 02:47 PM

I’ve seen the critically low indication under Windows 7.  Often, by unplugging the device, then plugging in again a moment later, the status refreshes to a more accurate level.  Also, the charge status does not refresh on the PC, until a disconnect / reconnect cycle.

Check the display on the Clip+ for verification of charge status.  The charge percentage can be verified via Settings > System Settings > Info on the device.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 04-26-2010 01:53 AM

I bought two new Clips and both have the critically low charging problem as well as the level not being updated in real time in Windows 7.  Both new Clips came with V2 firmware.  I updated the V2 firmware to the latest release and it didn’t fix the problem.

I also have a Clip that came with V1 firmware and has been updated to the latest release.  This clip with V1 firmware works perfectly with Windows 7.  The battery charging levels are acurate and update in real time and both V1 versions (old and new) worked.

My conclusion is that Windows 7 drivers have nothing to do with the problem.  There’s something not compatible in Sansa’s V2 firmware for the Clip and Windows 7.

FIX YOUR V2 FIRMWARE TO WORK WITH WINDOWS 7!

None my Clips are the + version so the problem has nothing to do with if you have a Clip or Clip +. 

Message Edited by BoF on 05-14-2010 08:20 PM

BoF wrote:

None my Clips are the + version so the problem has nothing to do with if you have a Clip or Clip +. 

Then this contribution is off-topic for this board and thread, isn’t it? :stuck_out_tongue:

Whatever, I Googled the problem and this thread came up.  I will start a thread in the “Clip” ONLY section of this site as if that would made any difference for a fix sometime in the year 2010. 

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=clip&thread.id=23862

Message Edited by BoF on 05-14-2010 10:07 PM

Message Edited by BoF on 05-14-2010 10:11 PM

BoF wrote:

I bought two new Clips and both have the critically low charging problem as well as the level not being updated in real time in Windows 7.  Both new Clips came with V2 firmware.  I updated the V2 firmware to the latest release and it didn’t fix the problem.

I also have a Clip that came with V1 firmware and has been updated to the latest release.  This clip with V1 firmware works perfectly with Windows 7.  The battery charging levels are acurate and update in real time and both V1 versions (old and new) worked.

My conclusion is that Windows 7 drivers have nothing to do with the problem.  There’s something not compatible in Sansa’s V2 firmware for the Clip and Windows 7.

FIX YOUR V2 FIRMWARE TO WORK WITH WINDOWS 7!

Message Edited by BoF on 05-14-2010 08:20 PM

Funny how my Clip+, and my old Clip, which is now owned by my friend, both work just fine with my Windows 7 computer. 

@marvin_martian wrote:

Funny how my Clip+, and my old Clip, which is now owned by my friend, both work just fine with my Windows 7 computer. 

That’s a laugh riot.  All three of the Clips were tested on two computers in my possession and two other computers running the same Windows 7 version.  All of the results were the same.

I’m not the only one with this problem and other owners are experiencing the same problem with Sandisk players other than the Clip or Clip +.

The correct battery level doesn’t show for me under Win7 and the device stage screen either.

Yes, it would be nice if the bug was fixed.

But really, for me, it’s a small matter–I can just look at the battery indicator on the Clip …  Not really something to concern myself with, other than to note the matter for SanDisk’s note.

BoF wrote:

I’m not the only one with this problem and other owners are experiencing the same problem with Sandisk players other than the Clip or Clip +.

And there are many more that are having no problems whatsoever.

Hi all. I’m a noob here, but was having the Win 7 “critically low battery” error as well. I updated my 8 GB to V2.01.32A and solved the problem.

The autoupdater was hanging also, but I did the “download and drag to the Clip” method and it worked for me.

Great to hear!   :slight_smile:

Obviously a Windows problem, and not a Sansa problem.  If you contact Microsoft, I’m sure they’ll tell you that the answer is to buy a Zune, and to upgrade to a much more expensive version of Win 7.  :angry:

Is there a solution for this problem yet? I’m having the same problem with the battery indication for our Sansa Fuze, but the Sansa Clip works fine on the same Win7 computer.

I bought two of the +4GB devices.  One works fine charging, the other just says “battery critcally low”.  When I disconnect it from the USB 2.0, it works for a very short time and then stops due to low battery. I am using a Dell Gamer Class Desktop USB port with Windows 7.  It detects it fine.  I can add music, etc.  I just have the battery issue.  Advice?  Do I need to return it to Amazon?

I would let it charge for a day or 2.  If the issue then persists, I would contact Amazon for a replacement.