Win8 problem and brain problem (installed Clip+ firmware on Clip)

I’ve been using my Clip with WinXP, just got a Win8 machine, Win8 says “USB device not recognized.” Taking a wild guess what to do, I return to the XP machine and update the firmware, but… got sloppy and updated Clip to Clip+ firmware (V01.02.18A the Clip says). Did some other stuff… including reformatting the Clip… XP machine still seems to like it… Win8 still seems to hate it. Next steps? _ Thanks! _

Have been hearing this–Win8 issues with the Clip players–alot here lately, and I just don’t get it (a Windows XP, Vista and 7 user here)–shouldn’t Win8 just see the Clips as an extrnal device/drive, at least when the Clips’ USB mode is set to MSC mode (under the players’ Settings)?  

Win8 sees it as a USB device that is malfunctioning. That’s the detail appended to the “USB device not recognized” message. This happens in both MSC and MTP.

@jamtoenail wrote:

I’ve been using my Clip with WinXP, just got a Win8 machine, Win8 says “USB device not recognized.” Taking a wild guess what to do, I return to the XP machine and update the firmware, but… got sloppy and updated Clip to Clip+ firmware (V01.02.18A the Clip says). Did some other stuff… including reformatting the Clip… XP machine still seems to like it… Win8 still seems to hate it. Next steps? _ Thanks! _

This is physically impossible. You must be mistaken. One player will not accept the firmware written for another. It will simply ignore it.

Hmmm. Have you tried installing the latest updates on Windows 8 yet? usually, USB stick drivers are installed on Windows preloaded drivers.

Tapeworm - You are absolutely right. I thought that a round control panel meant Clip and a square with rounded corners meant Clip+, but I just examined the device closely, and it’s a Clip+. So, the firmware issue is not an issue. Now: What about the Win8 issue?

austingrd - latest updates as in Windows Update? Yes, everything is current. Win8 is having no problem recognizing several (some very old) USB hard drives and USB flash drives.

Both - I appreciate your efforts to help!

@jamtoenail wrote:

I thought that a round control panel meant Clip and a square with rounded corners meant Clip+, but I just examined the device closely, and it’s a Clip+.

That is indeed the case; the (original) Clip has a round scroll wheel and the Clip+ has a square (with rounded corners) control button pad.

@jamtoenail wrote:

Now: What about the Win8 issue?

@Although a lot of people have been concerned/complaining about this, I understand the engineers @ SanDisk have been unable to duplicate the problem. Not to say there isn’t one, but they haven’t found any as yet. If/when they do, I’m sure there will be some sort of announcement or firmware update to address it if the problem is indeed on SanDisk’s end.

People in both the Clip+ and Clip Zip boards have been commenting on this, and I suggested in another thread that the issue may lie in Win 8 itself and maybe it is not a SanDisk-caused/related problem. You might try MS Support and see if they have any suggestions or solutions for you.

Especially in MSC mode, there is no special or proprietary drivers required to connect. The computer sees the player as any other “dumb” memory space device like a thumb drive or external USB hard drive, so I don’t see why there are some who are having connection problems. By the same token though, I have also heard from several where they are having no problems whatsoever. :confounded:

Well, perhaps I’ll just choose not to worry about this. Win8 sees my wife’s Clip Zip just fine, and I can get one of those for $40 at Best Buy. It makes sense to do that before spending a total of 8 hours on this project. (Yes, I value my time at a whopping $5/hour.)

Thanks again.

Fo a Win8 connection issue, some have had success in deauthorizing the Clip drive (which, apparently, shows up as unknown) under the Device Manager and then reconnecting the player to the computer–this forces Win8 to try to set up a new connection.