Will there be a new version of the Clip+ in two months?

My guess is yes, based on Sandisk’s recent pattern of product introductions. The big question is will it be better than the Clip+ or worse(imo the Fuze+ is much worse than the Fuze). I hope Sandisk has followed consumer recommendations and greatly increased the battery life(doubling the battery life might mean making the player only about 30% thicker).

I have no idea.  Sandisk really needs to fix their Fuze+ before introducting a new player, but it’s about time.

The Mini-USB rather than Micro-USB (all my devices are currently Micro-USB so I only have to carry around 1 cable), and shorter battery life are the 2 reasons I’m thinking of continuing to wait to see what else they release before buying.

Most of my items are mini usb.I find the mini usb connector to be much easier to connect  than micro usb.

Best guess is, the industry will be moving micro-USB: (1) it’s a trifle smaller; and (2) it’s been adopted as the EU phone standard. One standard is nice–but it’s always a bit of a hassle to move, when you’re on the other standard and need to order a few converters.

Perhaps Wikipedia is not 100% correct, but it lists Mini-USB as “now-depricated”.  Micro-USB really is the new standard.

My Nook Touch is micro-USB…and it will accept a 32GB microsdhc card. I can’t imagine how many books it would take to fill one though.:dizzy_face:

@jasonbrunelle wrote:

Sandisk really needs to fix their Fuze+ before introducting a new player, but it’s about time.

When Sandisk comes out with a new player, I doubt that they’ll just stop releasing additional firmware updates for the fuze+.  IIRC, firmware updates were still released for the original fuze when the clip+ came out.   It just took longer for Sandisk to come out with the updates.

“My Nook Touch is micro-USB…and it will accept a 32GB microsdhc card. I can’t imagine how many books it would take to fill one though.

A page of text is usually somewhere around 4K, so a 32GB card(32 billion bytes) would hold around 7.8 million pages. If books average around 250 pages, that might mean around 31,250 books!

I had a full sized 4GB SDHC card in my hand and asked someone who is not up to date with technology how many pages of text he thought it could hold. I asked him if he thought it is around 10,000. Of course the correct answer is a million. Next time I should try that with a 32GB microSDHC card. :slight_smile:

Remember the saying “a picture is worth a thousand words”? Well a picture that is around 6K would be very tiny resolution. It is time to update the saying to a picure is worth a thousand pages of text(even that may be too low for many). :)

September will be here in two weeks. Still no solid rumors about a new player from Sandisk. Perhaps we might not hear anything about it until it mysteriously appears in some stores. I hope there will be a new player very soon. Sandisk released a new player at the start of September the last two years, so expecting one this September seems reasonable. Why release a new player at the start of September? If I was in charge of Sandisk’s mp3 player division, I would have new players released in June, so that stores could be fully stocked with them by early August for the back to school season.

It would be nice if we got a new Clip, but I hope a little more solid engineering goes into it than with the Fuze+. 

But, I’m still very pleased with the Clip+ and with the continued advances in Rockbox, I don’t know what else they could apply to the original firmware to make it better.

Just my opinion. :smiley:

@hulksmashnow wrote:

It would be nice if we got a new Clip, but I hope a little more solid engineering goes into it than with the Fuze+. 

But, I’m still very pleased with the Clip+ and with the continued advances in Rockbox, I don’t know what else they could apply to the original firmware to make it better.

Just my opinion. :smiley:

I agree 100%, with both of your points. My Clip+ w/Rockbox still gets plenty of use, and I’m glad I didn’t buy a Fuze+.

Those touchpad controls are funky. I had a Samsung player with them, and eventually sold it, even though it sounded fantastic…and my Cowon i9 has them too. But since that was a gift, I don’t want to sell it. It sounds awesome, so I just use it at home.
:smiley:

I like buttons and (soft) clicks–something reassuring with that feedback.  (Maybe too many years of typing?)

Would be nice if:

• it had 16GB or 32GB of internal memory
  • a slightly larger screen, to be able to read it w/o reading glasses
  • a better file system and management to actually support the thousands of songs possible on the memory

Most annoying thing to me is that, no matter how much memory you put in the existing Clip+, it seems the music file system is limited to a few thousand. You can shorten the file/folder names to get more recognized it seems, but you still run into the file system limitation long before running out of memory. What good is a big memory footprint on an MP3 player if you can’t actually load it up? 

Fuze+ seemed possible for me, until I tried one. Smooth touch interface didn’t cut it for me.

Creative Style M300 is a possibility for me still, but I’m not thrilled that the internal and external memory is not integrated, that it slowly scans the SD card on every usage, and there are some issues with the unit. Nice form factor, but needs work.

So I’m hoping a new Clip+ comes along with a few tweaks.

I broke down and bought a Clip+ anyway, just days before they announced the Clip Zip.  I thought about returning the Clip+ and then considered, these Sansas are always buggy at first.  It could be months before the player is stable.  I’m sticking witht the stable Clip+, and will consider getting a Clip Zip if/when my Clip+ dies or I lose it.

"You can shorten the file/folder names to get more recognized it seems, but you still run into the file system limitation long before running out of memory. What good is a big memory footprint on an MP3 player if you can’t actually load it up? "

It depends what bitrate you use and how long your songs are. If you buy an 8GB player and a 32GB card, you have around 37GB of storage. The Clip+ recognizes up to around 8,000 songs(but it could be as low as around 5,500 if you have long filenames, long tags, or heavily nested files). If your songs are 192 kbps and average 4 minutes long, then you can fit around 200 in a GB, so unless your tags or filenames are long(or are heavily nested) 7,400 songs shouldn’t be a problem. If your songs are at less than 192 kbps, or they average less than 4 minutes each, then you may hit the limit. Some people try to cram the player with a 32GB card with over 20,000 64kbps wma songs and are very disappointed that this doesn’t work.

Actually, it’s stable.  But firmware upgrades fixing some wonky things have occurred (e.g. a static burst) and will occur (Audible support and, hopefully, some screen enhancements).

@jasonbrunelle wrote:

I broke down and bought a Clip+ anyway, just days before they announced the Clip Zip.  I thought about returning the Clip+ and then considered, these Sansas are always buggy at first.  It could be months before the player is stable.  I’m sticking witht the stable Clip+, and will consider getting a Clip Zip if/when my Clip+ dies or I lose it.

Actually, it’s stable right now.  But a firmware upgrade fixing some wonky things (e.g. a static burst) already has occurred, and will continue to occur (e.g. hopefully, some screen enhancements, although the screen works fine as is).  Personally, I wouldn’t let this affect whether I purchase one now or not.