Why won't the Clip+ automaticly play the next folder, album, etc.?

I really can’t believe that there isn’t a setting somewhere to configure the Clip+ to automatically skip to the next folder/album/artist/whatever when it is done playing the current selection.  I like to load up my mp3 player with as much music as it can hold, and then play basically in alphabetical order (don’t really care about the order–alphabetical is just easy).  However, I occasionally like to skip an entire folder/album (or several) and then resume playing my entire collection in order.  With the Clip+ I can almost do this with “Play All” from the root music folder, but I now have to either skip each song individually or limit myself to just a few songs contained in a folder or album after I back out and select the next folder I want to listen to.

This is a total deal breaker for me.  Please tell me that a firmware update will soon correct this oversight so that I don’t have to discard this otherwise wonderful little player.

Thanks,

David

this is the way all the sansa line players work so it is the design not a bug and i doubt this will be changed. 

The thing with electronic devices is that you have to adapt to the way they are designed and programmed to work, not the other way around. What you view as an oversight is a deliberate design by SanDisk and millions of other people seem to enjoy their players just fine, or can adapt their listening habits to fit the device.

If you can’t, and this truly is a ‘total deal-breaker’, then I’m sorry for you. You will be missing out on a great little music player. Better luck on your next one. Now, if you’re going to discard it for something else . . .

Donations are cheerfully accepted!

The thing with electronic devices is that firmware allows for options to easily be added to configuration menus long after they come off of the production line.  Hopefully Sandisk will see my post and consider it a reasonable request…

Maybe you can enlighten me, though.  How do you listen to continuous music on your Sandisk player?  …and what do you do if you want to skip an album?

1 Like

@guinness wrote:

How do you listen to continuous music on your Sandisk player?

Shuffle all is one way, but not everyone likes to shuffle. I’m using shuffle now about 95% of the time, as it keeps more of my music collection fresh in my short-term memory.:wink:

The Go List is a handy feature, if you haven’t noticed it yet – it’s essentially a simple playlist, and you can add tracks, albums, etc., and then play the Go List – I usually either play my whole library in shuffle more, or add a few albums to the Go List and play that.

@turnstyle wrote:
The Go List is a handy feature, if you haven’t noticed it yet – it’s essentially a simple playlist, and you can add tracks, albums, etc., and then play the Go List – I usually either play my whole library in shuffle more, or add a few albums to the Go List and play that.

What’s the max # of the go list in the Clip+?The Fuze is 200 songs, and the old Clip was 50 songs.

Use play all, then click the button at 6 oclock and choose back to song list, so you can skip several songs at a time.

@marvin_martian wrote:

@turnstyle wrote:

What’s the max # of the go list in the Clip+?The Fuze is 200 songs, and the old Clip was 50 songs.

The max is 200.  I’ve been loading albums into the GoList so they’ll play back to back.  It’s easier for me when I’m driving.  I’d just as soon not get into a wreck while choosing and/or changing to a different album or playlist!

There are many ways to have the Clip+ sweep through your collection, and which one you prefer is fun to work out. You can browse by Artist or Album alphabetically, and the player will follow along.  I like a combination of the Genre mode plus Shuffle to play my favorites.

There’s also a kind of hidden feature on the Clip+, “hidden” because of the limited GUI (screen) space: Song Ratings.  You can rate the songs individually, then use the Top Rated playback option.

As a footnote, regarding the Star Ratings system and usage of that data, there are quite a few possibilities, as I’ve pondered that one for quite a while in my quest for world domination.

On the e200 / Fuze, there’s ample real TFT real estate to show the stars.  My hope was to have this show briefly in the status line before the time elapsed scroll bar begins (for the OLED displays).  Hmmm…

Experiment with your Sansa and find the method that works best.  You can, in MTP mode at least, simply plug in, drag and drop a quick playlist (in a minute or two!) using Windows Explorer, then off you go.  Just be sure to name the playlist before unplugging.

The small size of the Clip+ is wonderful, as I find it easily concealed in my super suit, as I run off to fight crime.

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 11-15-2009 10:03 AM

@hulksmashnow wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

@turnstyle wrote:

The max is 200.  I’ve been loading albums into the GoList so they’ll play back to back.  It’s easier for me when I’m driving.  I’d just as soon not get into a wreck while choosing and/or changing to a different album or playlist!

Good to know! Seems like the only reason to consider the Fuze now over the Clip+ would be the battery life. 

Well, video as well, and a larger screen and scroll wheel for those who prefer those …

@miikerman wrote:
Well, video as well, and a larger screen and scroll wheel for those who prefer those …

Well, I don’t use my players for video…even my current ones that have much bigger screens than the Fuze. So I guess I should have said, no reason for me besides the extra battery life to choose Fuze over Clip+.:wink:

I also can’t believe there is nothing like “skip to the next folder” function or at least “all folders list”. There is a star rating system, golist and other things that are additional features but there is no simple way to skip to the another directory. Sansa Clip+ is great mp3 player, that’s true… except this one little thing which annoys me everytime I want to skip ~60 or more tracks. And as I can see on your forum board, I am not the only one.

Message Edited by millitaryman69 on 11-18-2009 07:09 AM

This is annoying. As it is, the easiest way to get to the next folder when in folder browsing mode is to press the button at 6 oclock and choose back to music list, then press the left arrow key(one or more times to climb back up the tree to get to the folder(or parent or grandparent, etc. folder of the one you want). Sometimes you need to climb back up to the root then down other branches to get to the folder you want. It would be nice if in folder browsing mode there would be a choice in the menu(when the button at 6 oclock is pressed) to display all folders on the player and navigate directly to any of them.

Just got a clip+ and am overjoyed. This is the first player I found worthy to add to my Iriver H320 (pure legend and yes I’m still using it). The only grievance I have with this tiny little star player with massive sound and great capacity is exactly the fact that it doesn’t go to next folder/album automatically. To me it seems like something very logical a music player should be able to do - especially at the album level. Who wants to listen to an album over and over again (without having to dig out the player and manually go to next - especially when it’s lashing rain outside (I’m in Ireland))? All the solutions suggested here do work to some extent, but require manual work - adding to lists song by song in some cases. And really seems like a long way around a problem with a simple solution.

All I’d like to say to finish my little rant is: Sansa - you have a really good player here with real keeper potential for years to come - please, please, please provide an option for people like me (and I’m not the only one). And then you have a GREAT player that beats anything in it’s class and even above. PLEASE :slight_smile:

@jk98 wrote:
This is annoying. As it is, the easiest way to get to the next folder when in folder browsing mode is to press the button at 6 oclock and choose back to music list, then press the left arrow key(one or more times to climb back up the tree to get to the folder(or parent or grandparent, etc. folder of the one you want). Sometimes you need to climb back up to the root then down other branches to get to the folder you want. It would be nice if in folder browsing mode there would be a choice in the menu(when the button at 6 oclock is pressed) to display all folders on the player and navigate directly to any of them.

Brilliant idea! Holding 6 o’clock button could go directly to Music -> Folders -> MUSIC directory.

Another great improvement would be not deleting whole playlist (created by “Music -> Folders -> MUSIC -> Play All” option) when user wants to choose another album/single song. Let’s say I got 400 songs in my collection. When I use “Play All” option, it is all OK because I got all songs sorted by folders just like it is on my MP3 player. But let’s say I now want to play “Pink Floyd - The Wall” album. So I access menu, go back to Music List, find “Pink Floyd” folder, find “The Wall” folder and choose first song in order to play it. What happens? Player creates new playlist with songs ONLY from “The Wall” album? Why did it remove my all-songs-playlist and created another one with album songs? Why couldn’t firmware just find this one song in my current playlist and go to chosen song? It is one big disadvantage.

There should be at least option in menu to set if we want to create new playlist or just find song on the current one if we have playlist generated by “Music -> Folders -> MUSIC -> Play All” function.

Message Edited by millitaryman69 on 11-19-2009 04:49 AM

Message Edited by millitaryman69 on 11-19-2009 04:50 AM

1 Like