Why does the SANSA turn it self "ON" after charge ??

The scenario:

The SANSA CLIP is “OFF”.

I connect it to the PC and the charging starts.

I disconnect the CLIP from the PC after hours of charging.

and… let him “Rest” …

In the day after I found the CLIP battery empty … because the CLIP started to work after charging … WHY !!!

I try to remember to turn “OFF” the CLIP after charging but forget.

Why does the SANSA turn it self “ON” after charge ??

Even in the formal guide there is no reminder to turn it OFF manually after charging:

===================================================================================

To charge the battery, please follow these steps:

1. Connect the larger end of the USB cable into an available USB port on the
    computer.
  2. Connect the smaller end of the USB cable into the Sansa®Clip player.
  3. The computer must be on for most USB ports to charge your battery. Your Sansa®
    will show connected and the yellow charging indicator will appear.
    The battery level indicator will blink while charging. You will not be able to
    play while connected to the computer USB.
  4. To stop recharging, simply disconnect the cable.

===================================================================================

Message Edited by BoazBoaz on 10-22-2008 09:59 PM

Message Edited by BoazBoaz on 10-22-2008 10:25 PM

You could set the Auto Power off to 1 minute.  That way it won’t drain the battery.

But in case the FM radio was last to be active before the charging it will be ON again… forever …

I believe that the CLIP should turn itself OFF it he was OFF before charging.

and stay ON if it was ON before charging.            

Message Edited by BoazBoaz on 10-22-2008 10:32 PM

To deal with this, I have my autopoweroff set, and try to keep my player in pause/off mode before powering down–I think these are good practice tips.   

@miikerman wrote:
To deal with this, I have my autopoweroff set, and try to keep my player in pause/off mode before powering down–I think these are good practice tips.   

Neither of these will work if the last thing you did was listening to FM radio. I have to admit that I haven’t tried putting the radio in the ‘pause’ mode but, who does that??

I really think this is not a minor bug, and it should be addressed in some way.

The Clip remembers its last state when unplugged.  If the device was playing a file when plugged in, it will resume when unplugged.

If the RADIO is actively running, when unplugged, the Sansa will resume playing the radio.

In BOTH cases, the trick is to stop playback or radio before plugging in.  Simply tap the play / pause button.

If the radio is stopped, you’ll see the universal SQUARE logo in the display.

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

Why can’t the SANSA remember its last state as being off.  It is very inconvenient to have to remember to ensure that it’s off after charging.  It seems like it would be a simple fix.  The SANSA knows to turn on when the USB charger is plugged in.  Wouldn’t it make sense to turn off (if that’s the last state) when the USB is unplugged?

After you complete charging, unplug the device and turn it off if thats what you want.

Many users prefer to directly start playing content after charging and would find it inconvenient to have to turn it on after unplugging.

It saves them 6 seconds of boot up time.

For you, its only 3 seconds to turn it off.

Since the SANSA doesn’t remember its last state as beingoff' after being unplugged from the USB charger, I have set it to auto power off and am training myself to use pause’ to stop when I am done listening (works for mp3’s, FM radio, etc.) and let the auto power function turn the unit off instead of using the on/off switch.  This way the SANSA can auto power off after being unplugged from the USB charger since its last state will now be `paused’.

Message Edited by Coemgen on 02-11-2009 06:56 AM

Yep thats what most of us do. Pause first then charge.

@sansafix wrote:
After you complete charging, unplug the device and turn it off if that’s what you want.

Many users prefer to directly start playing content after charging and would find it inconvenient to have to turn it on after unplugging.

It saves them 6 seconds of boot up time.

For you, its only 3 seconds to turn it off.

To be honest,  I think when you unplug it, it should power off to save its battery.     If a person wants to listen to it right away its easy to turn on.   I turn mine off after unplugging more times than I listen to it right away >.<

I am in a habit of powering it off when I unplug it.   But it would be one less step, if it would do it itself.

Just my 2 cents,

Cheers

Message Edited by niko_sama on 02-11-2009 12:51 PM

I have the problem where I plug the clip (powered off) into my computer to charge and forget about it.

Then a few hours later, the computer goes to sleep (usb power shuts off) and the clip stays on and discharges its battery.

This often happens when I forget to unplug the clip before bed.

Is there a way the firmware could be changed to prevent this?

Yes, I would like the Clip to be more ■■■■■ proof / convenient to charge.

Thanks

Happy Trails

@wavysclip wrote:

I have the problem where I plug the clip (powered off) into my computer to charge and forget about it.

Then a few hours later, the computer goes to sleep (usb power shuts off) and the clip stays on and discharges its battery.

This often happens when I forget to unplug the clip before bed.

Is there a way the firmware could be changed to prevent this?

Yes, I would like the Clip to be more ■■■■■ proof / convenient to charge.

Thanks

Happy Trails

Just buy an AC wall charger…it’s better for your Clip’s screen in the long run anyways. Then only connect to the computer if you need to add or remove content from your player. :wink:

Thanks for the sugestion.

Still, I would like to see the firmware fixed for this.

I  will  try using an old (wall wart) powered USB 1  hub, I have (not pluged into the computer) and see if that will  do the trick.

I theory, I could charge four Clips at once: :smiley:

(to cheap and lazy to buy another dedicated charger)

Happy TRails