Which is better Clip or Clip+?

In spite of the reviews, the Clip+ doesn’t feel like the build quality is any better (but I had no complaints with the old Clip in that regard). Personally, I think the textured plastic and curved edges of the Clip+ make it feel cheaper and more dated than the old model. I wonder whether the reviews that suggest the opposite have been regurgitated from a Sansa press-release…

But, the first thing I noticed about the Clip+ was how much faster the UI is - especially on startup.

Also the screen seems brighter: minimum brightness is brighter than on the Clip (but maybe the Clip’s display had faded over time and I hadn’t noticed).

And at least with the Clip+ I have the likelihood of future firmware updates - although it certainly needs a few.

My old Clip was only a 1GB model without radio, and my Clip+ has a radio with 4GB, so it feels like a good upgrade; but even a Clip with the same spec would have impressed me just as much (I don’t really use the SD slot) and it would have had a more reliable battery indicator.

The Clip+ firmware has the much-requested folder browsing. That may be important to you; I don’t use it.

There’s also an extra screen on pressing the centre-button after the VU-meter screen: it shows you which track will be on next. A third press takes you back to the playback screen.

I can’t decide whether this “next track” feature is neat or a nuisance, but I thought I’d mention it.

Message Edited by njd on 01-15-2010 02:57 PM