When does media refresh happen or how to force one to happen?

I have over 5000 mp3 files on my player. It takes over 1/2 hour to refresh the media. Refreshing media happens sometimes after disconnecting the USB cable after a recharge.

I want to have the refresh to happen on demand. I have deleted some files, connected the USB cable then disconnected it and the resfresh didn’t happen.

How can I force it to happen?

It should have occurred, since you added/removed files.  But candidly, I’m not sure why you want to force it.

If you have a Clip+, removing and then re-inserting a microSD card should lead to a refresh.  But then, so should adding or removing a tune.

Adding or removing a file should not refresh the media right away. Imagine every time I remove a file I have to wait 30 minutes. This would be intolerable.

The card  might help.

@abdu wrote:

Adding or removing a file should not refresh the media right away. Imagine every time I remove a file I have to wait 30 minutes. This would be intolerable.

The card  might help.

This is exactly how it works. Any manipulation of the files (adding, deleting, edting tags, etc.) will trigger a database refresh upon disconnecting from your computer.

But a 30 min. refresh? I doubt it.

40gigs of files. It takes a very long time.

What I noticed if I leave the player plugged in overnight, it refreshes. If I plug and unplug witin a minute it doesn’t refresh.

So when I comein and want to use it in the morning, I have to wait for along time. I don’t mind doing a refresh during the night.

I’ve also found that a refresh can take quite a bit of time with 30-40GB of files; 20-30 minutes, depending on the player (things have improved with the Zip).    :(

The time it takes to refresh is not based on memory space used, but number of files, length of titles, albums and so on contained in the ID3 tags, etc. I too, have 40GB full of FLAC files and the refresh only takes about 6-8 minutes.

With mp3 files being smaller, you’re going to have more files for it to read, but it should still only take 10-12 minutes for a refresh. If it’s taking longer than that, you need to look at your files and the tags, because that’s what’s slowing it down.

The time it takes to refresh is not based on memory space used, but number of files, length of titles, albums and so on contained in the ID3 tags, etc. I too, have 40GB full of FLAC files and the refresh only takes about 6-8 minutes.

With mp3 files being smaller, you’re going to have more files for it to read, but it should still only take approx. 15 minutes for a refresh. If it’s taking longer than that, you need to look at your files and the tags, because that’s what’s slowing it down

My files and tags are rather pedestrian, as is my file structure.  But with close to 38GB of music files, it’s alot of files and the refresh just takes longer.  Why I’ve said for awhile that SanDisk needs to “refresh” its OS for these players, given current storage expansion.  

Interesting that your FLAC file refresh takes less than 10 minutes; even with the Clip Zip, it always takes 15-20 minutes for my files.  

FLAC files are much larger than MP3 files. I have over 5000 files on both memories. So I am not surprised if you take 15 minutes, mine takes 30.

I am more concerned about getting to the refresh to happen when i want it to, than how long it takes.

@abdu wrote:

I am more concerned about getting to the refresh to happen when i want it to, than how long it takes.

There is no way to trigger a refresh “on demand”. It happens when the player detects any “difference” in the file structure upon disconnection from a computer. Sometimes this is from adding, deleting or moving a file or even just "reading’ the files by the host computer as during an A/V scan.

You can’t make it happen only when you want it to.

If you want to install Rockbox (3rd-party firmware) though, it will do it in the background, so you never see it happen and don’t have to wait. You can play music right away.

Well… when I disconnect the cable, that’s considered “on demand”. I am the one making it happen.

I UNDERSTAND why it happens. I know it’s NOT going to refresh if no change has happened.

The question is why it doesn’t happen every time a disconnect the cable AFTER every time I delete.

I’m not sure why it doesn’t for you–if I delete or add a file and then disconnect from my computer, the Clip always refreshes.

You can force a refresh on Sandisk players by deleting the MTABLE.SYS file which holds the database. A while back the database on one of my players was messed up, and the the player wouldn’t refresh the database after that when I changed files on it. Deleting MTABLE.SYS forced a database refresh when the player was disconnected, and fixed the problem.

Are you deleting the files on the player itself?