What microSDHC cards work with Clip+?

I bought a Lexar 8gb microSHDC card that the Clip+ doesn’t recognize. What cards size 8, 16gb are known to work?

Now that’s a bummer. 

I know it’s below the sizes you mentioned, but perhaps keeping all reports together in this thread, a Kingston 4gb Class 4 card works fine.

8 and 16 both are compatible with Clip+

Is this a new card? Are you sure it isn’t defective? Have you tried formatting it using a card formatting utility?

Brand new card. I don’t have any card reader other than the Clip+ that is compatible, and Clip+ just freezes up any time inserted. I think it is an incompatible card with current firmware. I’m happy to just take it back and get one that is known to work, hence my question.

There are some known issues with some cards and the Fuze for video files, but those cards all work okay for audio. My opinion is that you may have a defective card.

I put a card in an adapter in my pc and it wasn’t recognized at all. I then remembered that I had used it in my Fuze in MTP mode and there were files transferred in MTP on it. I switched my Fuze to MTP, put the card in it, and connected it to my pc. I then deleted the files on the card, disconnected the Fuze, put the Fuze back to MSC mode, turned it off, and took out the card. Now the card was recognized in my pc in an adapter.

The files on the card transferred in MTP mode were mp3 files, not protected files. Apparantly if there are any MTP transferred files on the card even if they are unprotected, the card directory is locked up. If I didn’t have that Fuze to put into MTP mode, is there some other way to force a formatting of the card? I wonder if formatting it in my digital camera(in an apapter) would have worked, or without the player that wrote the files in MTP to the card the card is now dead?

@hewing wrote:
Brand new card. I don’t have any card reader other than the Clip+ that is compatible, and Clip+ just freezes up any time inserted. I think it is an incompatible card with current firmware. I’m happy to just take it back and get one that is known to work, hence my question.

Are you inserting the card on the Clip+ powered on? That could be your problem. Shut it off, insert the card, make sure it is seated (with 2 slightly audible clicks against the spring tension) properly . . . then turn on the Clip.

Tapeworm, good point! The last time I put a card in my Clip+ it turned on as the card was inserted. I never had that happen with my Fuze.

Any comments about my previous post? I could understand not having files written in MTP mode to be readable by the pc(even if they are unprotected), however imo the pc should at least allow you to format the card to make it reusable again. If the card has files written to it in MTP though, and only within the player that wrote them are they recognizable and deletable, and with any of them on the card  the cards directory is locked, then if a player breaks, the cards that have MTP files on them from the player might be trash. Is there a way to force the formatting of a card with MTP files on it(assuming the player that wrote them is broken)?

As a test, I formatted a 16GB microSDHC card, inserted it into my Sansa Connect (MTP only), and transferred a DRM-less MP3 to it.  Took it out and connected it to my PC via a card reader, and was able to read the card’s contents, then format it with Windows.  For what it’s worth, the song was stored in a folder called “mtp”. 

One thing I’ve found in the past is that another card reader I have won’t read some of my cards, but will read others.  I have no idea why.

Message Edited by PromisedPlanet on 09-12-2009 08:41 AM

PromisedPlanet wrote:

One thing I’ve found in the past is that another card reader I have won’t read some of my cards, but will read others.  I have no idea why.

Some card readers are SDHC-compliant while others only read SD.

Interesting. I guess the Connect might deal with how it writes on cards differently than the Fuze? I just remembered that the card that had this unusual behavior was actually a 2 GB micro SD card, not a micro SDHC card. i wonder if that makes a difference?

@tapeworm wrote:

@promisedplanet wrote:

Right, but this card reader reads some SDHC cards, and not others.

@promisedplanet wrote:

@tapeworm wrote:

@promisedplanet wrote:

Ohhh . . . persnickety, huh?

@promisedplanet wrote:

@tapeworm wrote:

@promisedplanet wrote:

Ohhh . . . wascally, huh?

Hey wait - didn’t you say “persnickety,” first?

:wink:

I don’t understand the card technology … I’d think you wouldn’t see these kinds of differences, it’s bizarre.

@promisedplanet wrote:

I don’t understand the card technology … I’d think you wouldn’t see these kinds of differences, it’s bizarre.

I never heard Elmer use the term “persnickety”, but I loved the picture. :stuck_out_tongue:

For the record, I returned the Lexar 8gb SDHC card, and then bought a 16gb Polaroid by PNY card $42.99 - $15 rebate from Fry’s, and I’m in business. I can’t believe my tiny Clip+ now has more storage than my original iPod 20gb! Problem solved. Had nothing to do with MTP vs. MSC, when I inserted the card, etc.; the Lexar SDHC was likely defective.

Now if I could only understand why a 16gb card has only 14.8gb usable after formatting…but I know that has nothing to do with my Clip+. 

@hewing wrote:

For the record, I returned the Lexar 8gb SDHC card, and then bought a 16gb Polaroid by PNY card $42.99 - $15 rebate from Fry’s, and I’m in business. I can’t believe my tiny Clip+ now has more storage than my original iPod 20gb! Problem solved. Had nothing to do with MTP vs. MSC, when I inserted the card, etc.; the Lexar SDHC was likely defective.

Now if I could only understand why a 16gb card has only 14.8gb usable after formatting…but I know that has nothing to do with my Clip+. 

Is it possible to get that 16GB card online?  Couldn’t find it at Frys.com.

EDIT: Oops, I found it:

http://www.frys.com/product/5885833?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Not a bad deal, though probably a Class 2 … will take a while to fill up, but then you should be all set.  :wink:

Re 16GB versus 14.8GB, I think it’s advertising.  “16GB” = 16,000,000,000 bytes by an marketing person’s interpretation, but a GB is actually 1024 * 1024 * 1024 = 1,073,741,824 bytes.  Divide the former by the latter …

Message Edited by PromisedPlanet on 09-18-2009 05:47 PM

@tapeworm wrote:

@promisedplanet wrote:

I never heard Elmer use the term “persnickety” , but I loved the picture. :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s an old school term; about the only one I know that still uses it, is that Sargento cheese guy on the TV commericials…:smileyvery-happy:

@hewing wrote:

Thanks for the confirmation as to the card working, Hewing–always good to know (and I had seen the Polaroid card as well, but was wondering about the quality–I’m tired of mail returns).