Ways to save battery life of Clip?

I’m trying to get together a list of ways to make the battery last as long as possible in a Clip and am looking for any recommendations.

I think we can omit the more common recommendations such as don’t use your Clip (that often) or charge it everytime your not using it.

I’ve heard things like heat or cold can effect the battery life. Using VBR can lessen battery life. Any other things which could effect battery life? e.g. make it last longer?

But please, I don’t want this to turn into a debate over whether using VBR is worth it or not etc. I’m only looking for info on how to make the Clip battery last as long as possible.

Thanks very much for any useful advice.

@tall_cool1 wrote:

I’m trying to get together a list of ways to make the battery last as long as possible in a Clip and am looking for any recommendations.

I think we can omit the more common recommendations such as don’t use your Clip (that often) or charge it everytime your not using it.

I’ve heard things like heat or cold can effect the battery life. Using VBR can lessen battery life. Any other things which could effect battery life? e.g. make it last longer?

But please, I don’t want this to turn into a debate over whether using VBR is worth it or not etc. I’m only looking for info on how to make the Clip battery last as long as possible.

Thanks very much for any useful advice.

Well, let’s see. Lower the display brightness, shorten the backlight time, don’t skip alot of songs(if you don’t like them, remove them) don’t use the custom EQ, use low impedance headphones so you don’t have to crank the volume up…a few things off the top of my head :smiley:

Thanks for those tips Marvin_Martian.

Using mp3 rather than WMA or OGG gives longer battery run time. Using lower bitrates and CBR rather than VBR also gives longer runtime. Using a low backlight intensity and short backlight time helps greatly. Letting albums play through rather than hunting for songs also helps greatly.

I am willing to do all of these most of the time except low bitrates. I use 256 cbr mp3.

Thanks JK98.

I have to say after lowering the display brightness all the way down, lowering the backlight time to 5 seconds and keeping the eq to flat, it really does seem to extend the battery life to the point where I can see a difference :slight_smile:

I have ripped most of my cds at 320 kbps vbr though. I like the them to be as close to cd quality as possible. I doubt I’ll be changing that.

Of course if anyone else has any additional tips they would be welcome also.

@tall_cool1 wrote:

Thanks JK98.

I have to say after lowering the display brightness all the way down, lowering the backlight time to 5 seconds and keeping the eq to flat, it really does seem to extend the battery life to the point where I can see a difference :slight_smile:

I have ripped most of my cds at 320 kbps vbr though. I like the them to be as close to cd quality as possible. I doubt I’ll be changing that.

Of course if anyone else has any additional tips they would be welcome also.

The display brightness “down all the way” method helps as long as you’re not trying to read it out in the bright sunlight…on my red Clip, it stays there most of the time. It doesn’t help people with the silver Clip, from what I understand…they say it’s harder to see it, due to the mirror-like finish. I haven’t seen one in person, so I can’t compare. But it works for the rest of us :smiley:

So far my Clip doesn’t seem too bad in sunlight. If I can’t really read it too well I just cover it with my other hand a little so I can read it better.

I don’t own a sliver Clip myself, so I’m not sure how well they are in bright sunlight. But like you said nearly everyone who owns one complains about the mirror finish. I did give a couple as gifts recently,  but I have yet to discuss the specifics of the units with those whom I gave them to.

I own what I like to call a “black beauty” myself. :)  

I would have preferred a blue or black Clip, but the red one was the only one there that day. Thankfully, the color is more subdued in person as opposed to online. It’s more of a burgundy color, and it does look nice. Blue would have matched my Fuze, and black would have matched my wardrobe…lol. At some point, I would like to upgrade to a 4GB, but I’d like to see the silver up close before I commit to buying one…black would be preferable, of course :smiley:

That does sound nice. Burgundy isn’t a bad shade for red. I think if it was fire engine red I probably wouldn’t like that shade myself.

I got lucky and snagged a black 4 GB Clip on black friday at Best Buy. I hear every year they have the latest version for $35., so next year I’m hoping they’ll have the 8 GB model for $35. as well.

I’m sure it won’t be long before you’ll see the 4 GB models going for around that price regularly though.