Using the Sleep power-off option

I have recently bought a CLIP mp3 player.  I am trying to figure out the Sleep power off option.  I have used it successfully timing  the CLIP to switch off after 60 minutes.  However, after switching it off and some hours later switching back on again, it seems to have defaulted to a state in which it has lost the Sleep-power off mode.  Does anyone know whether it is meant to default to a state in which neither the Automatic nor the Sleep power off mode is programmed?

Welcome to the forum spindrift,

I haven’t tried the Clip’s Sleep function (and I can’t test it right now), but I think it’s meant to be one-shot; you’ll have to reset it every time you need it. In fact, all devices I’ve seen work this way (TVs, VCRs, etc.)

I have used it too. Question is…are you falling asleep to music, or the radio, or a podcast/audiobook? I quite often fall asleep to podcasts…if you do that, your auto-power-off interval will come into play. Power off shuts the Clip down after a user-selected amount of time once it goes into pause mode(like when a podcast is over) and that time remains perpetually in effect(also useful on the Fuze:wink:). The sleep timer, on the other hand, used for music files or the radio…that you have to reset each time you use it. Hope this helps:smileyvery-happy:

Thanks Marvin. That fits precisely with what I have found by trial and error.  Fact is tho’ the full pdf. user manual should make that clear and it does not as someone else has remarked on this forum.

@spindrift wrote:
Thanks Marvin. That fits precisely with what I have found by trial and error.  Fact is tho’ the full pdf. user manual should make that clear and it does not as someone else has remarked on this forum.

Well, alot of people don’t read the instructions at all. I just briefly skimmed through them myself, but since I’m only working part-time I’ve had plenty of time to experiment. Also I got the Clip a couple months after I got my Fuze, so I was no longer a complete newbie to the MP3 scene at that point, which helped. In general, these Sansas are pretty user-friendly though, don’t you think? :smileyvery-happy:

The sleep mode works for the currently selected interval, until the device is automatically powered off.

Upon starting up the Sansa later it is reset, and available under the Power settings selection once again.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

The CLIP would win prizes for its user friendly interface.  I have had a different branded MP3 player for two years or more and have never really used it because the user interface it seems to me, was designed to prevent anyone actually using it.  It has all the features found on the CLIP but behind such a wierd selection menu, very difficult to access.  I am an official Wrinklie these days and use the mp3 player for the night hours when I am not sleeping.  I find that by listening to something on the CLIP I get back off to sleep.  Strangely I find the most effective cure for insomnia are speech broadcasts and especially current affairs stuff with political comment!

On that thought, we could rename the function “fillibuster mode”.

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

Had to register to reply to this (STUFF your silly little password requirements, SanDisk)

So if I understand this,  

• Turning on the “Sleep” function means that you want the Clip to shut off after a certain interval, as if you were going to sleep and wanted the unit to turn off after you fell asleep, and
  • When “Sleep” is “on”, then autopower sets the interval after which the unit shuts off.

This implies then, that

When “Sleep” is set to “off”, then Autopower does nothing regardless of setting.

1. The manual ought to SAY something like that, but since it doesn’t, does that accord with everyone’s experience?

(I had another make of MP3 player that would, if not playing anything, power itself off after (it said) ten minutes. Turned out it was 3 minutes, not ten, which I couldn’t live with, but never mind.)

1. Does the Clip power itself down if not playing anything, after X minutes?
  2. What’s the difference between “not playing anything, backlight off” and “powered down”. Is there a difference at all?
  3. Can the power-down interval that isn’t “sleep” be controlled in some way?

>> Had to register to reply to this (STUFF your silly little password requirements, SanDisk)

Welcome to the internet, and a SPAM-free forum. :slight_smile:

I don’t use Sleep mode, so can’t help you there.  The Clip auto-powers off after a set time without using Sleep.  Running through the options now…

1.  Does the Clip power itself down if not playing anything, after X minutes? 

Yes. 

Settings|Power|AutoPower: Default is 1 minute, but it can be set to 1 /5/10/20/30/60 minutes. 

By the way, Settings|Power|Sleep can be set to Off /10/20/30/45/60/90/120 minutes.

2.  What’s the difference between “not playing anything, backlight off” and “powered down”. Is there a difference at all?

Not playing anything, backlight off - means it’s still turned ON, waiting for input.  If nothing happens in the prescribed time selected above, it “powers down”.

Once it powers down, you have to turn it back on (let it “boot up” again, and it takes between 5-10 seconds) before you can input anything again.

1. Can the power-down interval that isn’t “sleep” be controlled in some way?

Described above.

By the way, thanks.  I’ve been mildly complaining of the 1 minute power-off time for quite a while now, so I switched it to 5 minutes while looking through this stuff, we’ll see if I can handle that better.  I don’t want to go too long because I’m in the habit of turning off my Clip by just pausing and letting it auto-power down. 

Hope this helps.

kmk_01kmk wrote:

>> Had to register to reply to this (STUFF your silly little password requirements, SanDisk)

Welcome to the internet, and a SPAM-free forum. :slight_smile:

Spam-free?

OK - if there’s lots of SPAM here, I don’t ever see it, so kudos to those removing it!!! 

I’ve been on forums which I had to leave because I couldn’t find actual posts among the ED treatments and dating services.  :)  This is a clean site, so my appreciation to those keeping it that way!

kmk_01kmk wrote:

OK - if there’s lots of SPAM here, I don’t ever see it, so kudos to those removing it!!! 

I’ve been on forums which I had to leave because I couldn’t find actual posts among the ED treatments and dating services.  :)  This is a clean site, so my appreciation to those keeping it that way!

I was exaggerating, we really don’t get very much.:wink: It’s just funny because usually it’s iPod related stuff. slotmonsta and  microsansa do a good job of keeping most of it out.

It isn’t the logging in that I mind. It’s the

Oh, your password has to have A CAPITAL LETTER in it.

Oh, your passowrd has to have a NUMBER in it.

Oh, your password has to get a haircut, and we don’t think much of the way it’s dressed, and it’s all very important to Our Security, and We Let the Sysadmin Take Over The Forum and Impose Lots and Lots of Silly Little Requirements That Nobody Else Needs But Which Prove He’s Security-Conscious.

Stuff THAT.

Anyway, I am taking this to mean that my first #1 (the forum software barfed at starting the second list with “2” and isn’t bright enough to do that itself, tell the sysadmin to go fix THAT, he needs something to do) is false.  It is not obvious from, well, from anything, but the “Sleep” and “Auto Power” functions look and work exactly the same way. Exactly. No, exactly except that SLEEP can have the value “OFF”, which is what’s confusing.

By default, “sleep” is off. It’s not obvious, (or documented, hint, hint) but if you press >> the SLEEP value changes from “off” to the various minute values available. Pressing << goes the other way, and eventually to “off” again.  (Pictures here of a couple of values shown on the screen, most particularly the SLEEP screen showing itself set to 10 minutes). In other words, the “SLEEP” function has its own timer and is not just a binary value. To repeat, SLEEP works just like AUTO POWER works. They are not the same function or two parts of one function, as this might first seem.

My Creative Zen mp3 players always saved the sleep settings as it should. too bad there is no ini file hack to edit the default sleep setting.