Unable to charge new Clip (yes, read all the prior threads I could find)

Just got a refurb Clip from Buy.com and cannot get it to charge or be recognized.  It says “writing” for about one second, then says connected and shows the Clip and PC icons with arrows flashing back and forth, but the battery icon is empty–no flashing bars.  As soon as I disconnect it, it says low battery and dies.  (Computer does not recognize the Clip, but my immediate issue is getting it charged!)

This is on an XP computer that already works with two other Sansa devices, so I don’t think it’s a computer problem.  I’ve tried multiple cables, different USB ports (front and rear), and two computers (one with Vista).  I’ve also tried an AC adapter that works fine with my Smartphone, and get exactly the same message.

Tried the soft reset, and also the force-MSC (off-lock-hold center button and then plug in) method, and neither made any difference.  I can’t do the software upgrade since it won’t recognize the device, and I can’t change anything in the menu since it dies as soon as it’s unplugged.  This is Catch-22 tech hell!

I’m about to conclude that it’s defective.  Anything left to try before returning it (which would mean it wouldn’t be ready as a Mother’s Day gift!)?

Message Edited by Doctor_J on 05-04-2009 08:17 PM

@doctor_j wrote:

Just got a refurb Clip from Buy.com and cannot get it to charge or be recognized.  It says “writing” for about one second, then says connected and shows the Clip and PC icons with arrows flashing back and forth, but the battery icon is empty–no flashing bars.  As soon as I disconnect it, it says low battery and dies.  (Computer does not recognize the Clip, but my immediate issue is getting it charged!)

This is on an XP computer that already works with two other Sansa devices, so I don’t think it’s a computer problem.  I’ve tried multiple cables, different USB ports (front and rear), and two computers (one with Vista).  I’ve also tried an AC adapter that works fine with my Smartphone, and get exactly the same message.

Tried the soft reset, and also the force-MSC (off-lock-hold center button and then plug in) method, and neither made any difference.  I can’t do the software upgrade since it won’t recognize the device, and I can’t change anything in the menu since it dies as soon as it’s unplugged.  This is Catch-22 tech hell!

I’m about to conclude that it’s defective.  Anything left to try before returning it (which would mean it wouldn’t be ready as a Mother’s Day gift!)?

Message Edited by Doctor_J on 05-04-2009 08:17 PM

If you plan togive it away then yeah return it. I wonder if one of the wires that connect to the battery is loose. But its a better bet to return it so as not to void the warranty.

I might be remembering wrong but I think it only charges once it’s recognised.  If you have a wall charger that fits try that to see if it charges (a lot of motorola phones use mini usb if you have one of those).  Then switch to MSC.

But yeah as it’s a gift I would probably return it too.