USB device not recognized

hey, im new, just got a Sansa clip. Everytime i plug it into my comp, it says its connected buit the comp says that it doesnt recognize the USB device. Can anyone help me please?

Do you have the Clip’s requirements for MTP mode, Windows XP SP2 and WMP 10 or above?  If not, try connecting in USB MSC mode:  set the Clip’s Settings/USB to MSC, or put the Clip into hold and then connect to your computer while holding the Clip’s center button down. 

You can open WIndows Media Player, click Help > About, and see if it’s WiMP10 or above.  The MTP protocol is part of these versions, or you can use MSC for unprotected music.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

does the clip not work if there is realplayer instead of media player???

@supersnil wrote:
does the clip not work if there is realplayer instead of media player???

The point is that you either have to use your Clip in MSC mode (see above), or use it in MTP mode but then you need MTP drivers installed on your computer.  Installing RealPlayer doesn’t install MTP. 

What operating system are you using, and do you have Windows Media Player installed (if so, what version)?

all i know is its windows XP. it has windows media 9 and realplayer.

@supersnil wrote:
all i know is its windows XP. it has windows media 9 and realplayer.

Well there you go.  Upgrade to WMP 10.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/10/default.aspx

Hello - I am having the same problem on my work laptop -USB device not recognized…

OS = Windows XP Pro with SP2

Media Player = Windows Media Player 11

Any ideas on what to check next?  I know it has worked in the past… if I recall correctly…

thanks in advance!!!

According to the specs, the sansaclip is a usb 2.0 device and doesn’t appear to be backward compatible.  So make sure you are plugging it into a usb 2.0 port and not a usb 1.1 or 1.0.  I tried plugging mine into my laptop too and it said it was connected but it wouldn’t show up on my laptop, which only has usb 1.1 ports.  As soon as I plugged it into a computer that had a usb 2.0 port it recognized it right away.  Hope this helps.

Nope - that isn’t it - I’m USB 2.0… just checked in device manager.  Any other thoughts?

Ok, this is a long shot but I’ve had this happen on usb drives before.  Plug in your Sansa Clip to your usb port on your laptop and power it on.  Go into Disk Management (right click on My Computer, click on Manage, and then click on Disk Management).  Scroll through the drives and see if it’s listed.  Sometimes usb drives get tied to a drive letter and when that drive letter is already being used it wont show up.  If this is the case you can give it another drive letter and it will show up in My Computer.